Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Lots of issues w/ X61s drivers

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Lots of issues w/ X61s drivers

#1 Post by wujstefan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:16 pm

I have a little bit of trouble here.

I am trying pretty hard to make a newly bought X61s work on windows7 but it just fusses all the time. DRIVERS.

When trying to update via System Update it just BSODs during installation of some driver and restarts.
When trying to install drivers manually the on-screen display does not want to work, no matter what.
Plus, I have no luck trying to install WWAN driver. It just does not see the device even though WWAN indicator is always on (and YES, the hardware sits in there).

Maybe someone in here has a package of working drivers for Win7? I'm pretty sure that for the on-screen display / keyboard customizer the older drivers should work, but can't find any.
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Lots of issues w/ X61s drivers

#2 Post by TPFanatic » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:37 pm

Try Hotkey version 3.87.0 https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/p ... vu39ww.exe

On Screen Display also will not work if you do not have vcredist_x86 installed. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=5555 Install vcredist_x86 then go to C:\Program Files\Lenovo\HOTKEY and run TPOSDSVC.exe.

Towards the bottom of this page is the list of old ones.
http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/produ ... s/DS014985

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by wujstefan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks TPF, it worked partially. Now mute / speakers / thinklight are displayed properly. Backlight lightning and dimming doesn't show up however.

The system also now recognizes the WWAN card (Sierra 7750), I have installed the drivers, fn+F5 does not see it however. It's all the time on and the led is glowing, but no possibility to turn it off. "All radios off" keeps it working as well.
(stable under reduction)

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by wujstefan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Any golden thoughts? Tried almost everything. Jumping on left feet singing AC/DC while holding rabbit's tail did not help as well.
(stable under reduction)

FryPpy

#5 Post by FryPpy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:21 pm

wujstefan wrote:Any golden thoughts? Tried almost everything. Jumping on left feet singing AC/DC while holding rabbit's tail did not help as well.
;)
wujstefan wrote:The system also now recognizes the WWAN card (Sierra 7750), I have installed the drivers, fn+F5 does not see it however. It's all the time on and the led is glowing, but no possibility to turn it off.
I'm afraid this is uncureable. I have not touched MC7750 but have some experince with MC7304 and other 3G modules in thinkpads. First of all X61s (and all 61 series) don't know anything about MC7750. So whitelist must be removed to boot with MC7750. More over middleton's BIOS bypass 1804 error but BIOS (EC) can think that there is no WWAN module or assert W_DISABLE pin on miniPCIe slot. So you probably have insulated 20 (W_DISABLE) pin on MC7750?. If so you can't turn of MC7750 from thinkpad (even with main wireless disable switch).
There are AT commands to move 3G module to low power state, but my 7504 in low power state blinks WWAN led and it is even worse:(

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by wujstefan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:47 am

Isn't it that 7750 is actually a stock WWAN card? It's drivers were available at lenovo site in "drivers" option anyway...

EDIT: the unit has a middleton BIOS loaded
(stable under reduction)

FryPpy

#7 Post by FryPpy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:33 am

wujstefan wrote:Isn't it that 7750 is actually a stock WWAN card?
From HMMs - main WWAN cards for 61series was: MC5725 - for CDMA(EvDo) networks and MC8775 - for GSM(HSPA) networks. Also "KDDI Wireless WAN Modem adapter" is listed with FRU 42T0909 but i don't know what it is.

If i understand you right MC7750 is a 1nd generation Qualcom 4G (LTE) module based on MDM9600 chipset aka Gobi4000. First seen in x30 (X230, T430...) series Thinkpads (from 2013 year).

What FRU of your 7750?

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by wujstefan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:06 pm

The FRU is 04w3791.

I have swapped this one with MC8775 (FRU 42T0931) but it does not work w/access connections neither. Just a blinking WWAN indicator, nothing there under fn+f5.

I have also tested numerous solutions to make backlight indicator work, but to no effect...
(stable under reduction)

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#9 Post by TPFanatic » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:22 pm

You may need to install Access Connections for better WWAN control... it's iffy on my whitelist-removed T500 with a 3G Sierra MC8355 (from T420s) too. The Wwan turns on by itself after booting from hibernation, shutdown, or reboot and it takes a minute before Fn+F5 has any control over it. I'll probably remove mine since it's useless to me for now and may be drawing power even when "disabled", hurting my battery life.

About the brightness control, it's unreliable on my X60s as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I suggest try reinstalling the Intel graphics driver.

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by wujstefan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:16 am

TPFanatic wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:22 pm
You may need to install Access Connections for better WWAN control... it's iffy on my whitelist-removed T500 with a 3G Sierra MC8355 (from T420s) too. The Wwan turns on by itself after booting from hibernation, shutdown, or reboot and it takes a minute before Fn+F5 has any control over it. I'll probably remove mine since it's useless to me for now and may be drawing power even when "disabled", hurting my battery life.
Coped with this one. Old drivers for the WWAN card finally worked with access connections. PHEW!
TPFanatic wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:22 pm
About the brightness control, it's unreliable on my X60s as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. I suggest try reinstalling the Intel graphics driver.
Will try to, thanks.
(stable under reduction)