Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Bezel Removal and BT Daughter Card Upgrade

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
E350

Bezel Removal and BT Daughter Card Upgrade

#1 Post by E350 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 pm

So I got my Bluetooth 4.0 Card FRU: 60Y3303 60Y3305 Use For T400 T410 T420 X200 X201 X220 from ebay today:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-4-0- ... 2749.l2649

And brought it home and took the keyboard out and the palm rest off the X61 2.40GHz and was looking around for the card and, dang!, I couldn't find it. And then I thought, I wonder if it is under the screen bezel, so looked it up on the X61 Hardware Maintenance Manual ("HWMM") and sure enough it is situated at the bottom of the screen under the bezel where it says "X61 lenovo" on the bezel.

The HMMM says something like "removing the bezel may be difficult due to the adhesive." So I stopped and put the machine back together and am now writing this.

1. Will trying to remove the bezel cause any damage to the screen?
2. Can I reuse the bezel with the old adhesive?
3. Do you think this card will provide better performance? (I am using Bluetooth quite a bit now to stream audio (talk radio and/or music and/or amazon movie audio - from the T61p DVI to HDMI on the dock) to my stereo system. So I would like to see if I could get more range or more penetration through objects with a modern BT card.

BTW, the BT on the Intel AC 7620 HMWG.R wifi half card does not operate (at least when the BT daughter card remains installed).
Last edited by E350 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Bezel Removal and BT Daughter Card Upgrade

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:24 am

1) No. Also, that glue is probably dried up/out by now. Just go slow when you rip it off.
... It should suffice to just remove the 3 screws around the left bottom corner of the bezel, and lift that left corner gently to get at the BT module.
2) Yes
3) No idea, check it before you put the bezel back on.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

E350

#3 Post by E350 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:46 am

10-4 RBS. I will try it and report back.

E350

#4 Post by E350 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Well RBS, that was the scariest thing I have ever done on my Thinkpads (now I will have to do it on our T61p's too).

I couldn't razor blade separate the bezel where the function lights are so I didn't. I just raised the "X61 lenovo" area of the bezel and removed the old and slipped in the new Bluetooth Daughter Card and then stuck the palm rest and keyboard on without screws and then plugged it in and prayed "No 1803 error, no 1803..."

And the new BT daughter card works!

I had to re-recognize the devices that I pair to, but it works!

Now to put all the screws back...

Thanks Buddy!

E350

#5 Post by E350 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:36 pm

Function Report: There seems to be no increase in range or penetration with the updated BT Daughter Card. I am not sure if sound quality is better or not - it seems like it might be.

BTW, to get one device to work, I did have to unplug the power from a BT receiver on that device and then remove device the from "Windows 10 Settings, Bluetooth & other devices" and then plug in the power on the device, push the pairing button, then "Add devices" in "Windows 10 Settings, Bluetooth & other devices," but it works fine now.

E350

#6 Post by E350 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:56 am

A little function update, yesterday my X61 with the upgraded BT Daughter Card 4.0 (link above) was receiving picture and video files from my wife's cheap android trac phone.

But I was unsuccessful trying to do the same with my wife's T61p with the original BT Daughter Card. A couple of things: 1. The card reported a name of "desktop" to the phone (in contrast the X61 reported the X61 actual laptop's name); 2. I couldn't get it to pair because they were not reporting or synchronizing the phone's security pin.

Maybe I wasn't doing it right. Maybe there is a work around. But instead of delving further, I just ordered another BT Daughter Card 4.0 for my wife's T61p.