Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Sudden death of a great condition X60T battery

X60/X61 series specific matters only.
Hixon

Sudden death of a great condition X60T battery

#1 Post by Hixon » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:26 am

Hi folks,

I have been using this genuine X60T battery for a couple of months now, I got it in very good condition, with 3+ hours of discharge time. Unfortunately, when I was trying to boot my X601T up yesterday from battery, the laptop could not power up anymore. After plugging in the charger, the infamous blinking orange battery LED came on indicating its death. Since then I am only using the laptop from the PSU.

I believe that the battery cells are still in great condition, as they were performing wonderfully a couple of days ago.

I suspect something might be wrong with the supporting circuit of the battery. I also have some shady memories about programming the battery eeprom could extend the batteries life, but I could be completely wrong here. Any ideas what I could try here? Is this even worth the trouble? I just simply find it strange that such a good X60 battery dies like this from one day to another.

Thank you
Last edited by Hixon on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Thinkpad T601, Boe-Hydis UXGA, Native Penryn, QX9300, Intel X3100, 8GB Crucial RAM, 250GB Kingston SSD

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Sudden death of a great condition X60T battery

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:11 am

My X61s battery did the same to me.....
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Neil » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:47 am

I had an X60 battery that did similarly a while back, only with mine, Battery Maximizer (or whatever it's called) showed the batter had few cycles on it and it seems to hold a good charge, but then I let it sit un-used for several months, and when I tried to power it up again the battery was dead.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

beko1987
Freshman Member

#4 Post by beko1987 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:57 am

Threads like this that make me glad I get my X60t out every month or so and tun it on, let it discharge a bit then charge it again! It's got a brand new genuine battery I found last Autumn!

Reminds me to do it again soon, W7 had new updates recently!
Thinkpad T40
Thinkpad T43
Thinkpad X60 Tablet
Thinkpad R500

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#5 Post by ajkula66 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:02 pm

beko1987 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:57 am
Threads like this that make me glad I get my X60t out every month or so and tun it on, let it discharge a bit then charge it again! It's got a brand new genuine battery I found last Autumn!
I hate to tell you but this approach doesn't guarantee that you won't wake up to a dead battery the very next time. All batteries seen in *60/61/*00 are notorious for dying out of the blue. It's the controller in them that decides the time of death. I've had them DOA right out of the box, NOS examples, never charged.
Reminds me to do it again soon, W7 had new updates recently!
Just make sure that you know what's in them before you download and install them...
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

AARP club members:A31p,T43pSF

Abused daily: T61p

Work in progress: X60T

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.