Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X61 lid mysteries (LEDs & Stickers) [Picture inside]

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
Jake.Werecat

X61 lid mysteries (LEDs & Stickers) [Picture inside]

#1 Post by Jake.Werecat » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:32 pm

Out of pure curiosity, since I bought my X61 I was wondering about a few spots on X61 lid. I was searching online for hours, but did not came to any conclusion. Maybe one of you already know the answer?
1) There are three spots covered with black stickers or plastic shims. One is for WWAN antenna (that on the RH side of the screen), the purpose for other two are unknown for me, I marked them green on a picture attached below.
2) LED Indicator on a lid. X61 come with beautiful LED indicators for almost anything, sadly so rarely seen on any notebooks including ThinkPads these days. There are 10 LED on bottom display bezel, and 3 on the lid, however the size of the sticker on the lid is obviously for 4 LEDs (place marked with a green arrow). There is also a spot on the inverter board for the fourth LED, but it's not soldered. Anybody has any idea what i might be? And why is blinded?
https://i.imgur.com/6cBGVRj.jpg
T470

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: X61 lid mysteries (LEDs & Stickers) [Picture inside]

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:46 am

The bluetooth module is beside the left hinge. If that section was not cut out, the magnesium alloy of the lid would interfere with the bluetooth module's antenna, decreasing its range.

The one at the top may very well be for another antenna. IIRC the X61 has 3 antennas for WiFi. I haven't looked closely at an X61 lid in quite a while.

As for the missing LED, it may have been something that was dropped during development.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

Jake.Werecat

#3 Post by Jake.Werecat » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:49 am

Thanks for explanation :)
T470

Ashley_Pomeroy

#4 Post by Ashley_Pomeroy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:06 pm

Interestingly the tablet versions of the X60 and X61 have three-icon-wide LED bezels on the lid, but of course they have a different lid design.

Given that the battery-power-sleep icons mirror the status of the internal bezel my guess is that there was a plan early on to have a power LED as well, but it was decided to drop it and save half a cent per unit because it didn't tell the user anything he or she didn't already know.

Then again the X41 had a bluetooth light in the lid (and a much longer cutout), so perhaps it was that. It's a trivial thing but after you point it out it bugs me. The T60 has an even larger blank spot where an LED might have gone.