Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Hey there. Newbie here! I have an x60 and dock. Upgrade ideas?

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
Chrisssssssss

Hey there. Newbie here! I have an x60 and dock. Upgrade ideas?

#1 Post by Chrisssssssss » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:44 am

Hey there.

I have an X60 that I have had for about a year and I just used it as a basic windows box just to configure some old DBX Driverack units and this worked perfectly. Now I wanna play a bit. It is a T7200 2GHz Core2Duo machine with 3GB ram and a 220ish GB HD. I also have the docking station for it that was necessary for the ports on it. So. I was scanning all the forums and reading up and stuff about all the things I can and can't do with this puppy, but I was kinda unclear on a few things and thought I would ask directly because I have read all the things I ld read, but I am just a bit unclear on a few things. Here's the deal. I don't need too much power in this thing, but I want to upgrade it to a touch screen style unit. Would it be best if I just got an actual touch screen unit (like the x61 seems the way to go) or can I outfit this non touch unit with a touch screen separately? From what the prices that I can see these are going for I may just got an X61 touch screen unit and call it a day. I just thought I would ask. I think that this unit is pretty much the max I can get for this unit (I think there may be a faster processor unit out there, but I doubt I will bother because the max this unit can see is 3GB 32 bit) but I may see about doing an X61 mobo swap. Not sure yet. I understand it is a direct drop in replacement. That way I would have 8GB max and a 64bit unit. Though I don't know if it is worth it for me. Just playing around with the idea, not sure what I wanna do. Is there anything else that is suggested? The main thing I would want to do if possible is add a touchscreen. And if I go that far maybe a mobo swap to an x61 but like I said it's not really a priority, just a toy to play with. It does it's job well and I really like it. I just thought maybe giving it a bit of a kick to make it a bit more "fun". I also am hearing all about some kinda "libreboot" thingy that I have no idea what that is but I am gonna look into that now and see what that's all about and if I wanna play with that. Another thing I hear all about is the Middleton Bios upgrade that everyone is doing. I didn't really find a link to one that would be the latest for mine. Could someone point me to the correct version for this X60 I have? I will look around a bit more for it, but that would be a great help if someone could show me the way. Thanks all! I appreciate any and all suggestions tossed my way.

Cheers
Chris

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Hey there. Newbie here! I have an x60 and dock. Upgrade ideas?

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:55 am

Hi, Chris, and welcome to the forum. :D

You are correct that yours is pretty much the highest stock X60 as can be. There was never a faster CPU for it (CPU is soldered) and 3GB RAM is the maximum it will take (well it will take 4GB but only 3GB will be usable).

An X61-board is a drop-in replacement and with 8GB RAM + T8300 CPU + Middleton BIOS to unlock SATA2 speeds it may be quite a bit faster than the X60, but: (a) still slow for modern programs/websites and (b) maybe not meaningful if you only plan very light load on this machine

I never looked into adding on a touch screen to X60/X61 model, but some have done it. Look into Vavet's thread (he is one of our most experienced X61 modders):
viewtopic.php?t=115531

Note that there is no stock X60/X61 with touch screen; the X60/X61 Tablet come with touch screen, but it's a whole different laptop (bigger, heavier).
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Chrisssssssss

Re: Hey there. Newbie here! I have an x60 and dock. Upgrade ideas?

#3 Post by Chrisssssssss » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:31 am

Thanks for the input.

I may get a x61 mobo one day, but until then I will continue to use as is. I don't really use it much just for those specific programs for configuring the driverack stuff. If the touch screen was a easy mod I would do it, but probably won't bother. Although the x61 may come one day. Thanks again for the advice.

Chris