Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Upgrading an X61 (Part 2)

X60/X61 series specific matters only.
nachetb

Upgrading an X61 (Part 2)

#1 Post by nachetb » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm

Hey guys! First of all thanks for your help in the previous post, I really got a lot of help for the things I asked. After doing some of the upgrades I mentioned in the previous post and using the X61 for a bit I got a bunch of new questions.

1. So, regarding temperatures. I opened the laptop, gave it an overall cleanse, including fan and heatsink, changed the thermal paste and the graphics thermal pad. Temps have lowered about 10º C, but the laptop is still running pretty hot, processor averaging 60-70ºC. Its the backplate specially what gets hot, heatsink air isnt that hot, but the backblate runs extremely hot to the touch. Do you think it could be a good idea to add thermal pads on top of the backplates chasis (inside, looking towards the motherboard, since the motherboard is covered by a protective cover)? Are these temps normal? Im running out of ideas to reduce the temps, only things I got left to do are undervolting (which I still need to learn to do, you can go to the linux part of the forums and help me if you know about it), changing the wifi card
and maybe adding ram (im not sure if adding more ram reduces load off the processor or im just making that up). Any ideas?

2. I also wanna buy a newer wifi card, I already have middletons bios installed. Currently its rocking an Atheros AR5BXB6. A kind member explained what the newer sockets of wifi cards are on the previous post. So, having considered that I use the adaptors needed and that I own a wifi connection of 600 mb/s (while the atheros has a 54mb/s transfer rate), any newer card with a 600mb/s speed or higher will be a good choice?

3. I also bought some suposedly kingston 2x2gb 800mhz ram on a chinese site. When I plugged them in thinkpad wouldnt boot and start beeping. Ive read online 800mhz cards work, but certain models may not work. Also that if using 800 mhz, still only 667 mhz speeds will be used. Is this true? Will I have less chance of the ram not working with 667mhz sticks or should I maybe try a better brand?

atagunov

Re: Upgrading an X61 (Part 2)

#2 Post by atagunov » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:56 pm

nachetb wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm
so bought some suposedly kingston 2x2gb 800mhz ram on a chinese site. When I plugged them in thinkpad wouldnt boot and start beeping
I'm not an expert but can that RAM be outright defective?..
I assume the motherboard is known to work with different RAM sticks?

800Mhz RAM should work fine in an up to 667Mhz motherboard

Also, 2Gb sticks should be very cheap and commons these days..
I kept stumbling over lots of cheap 2Gb sticks on ebay when looking for 4Gb ones
There were lots on Facebook marketplace too
It does look like you'd have found them locally as easily as overseas
X220, 2 *T520

nachetb

#3 Post by nachetb » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:09 pm

atagunov wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:56 pm
nachetb wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm
so bought some suposedly kingston 2x2gb 800mhz ram on a chinese site. When I plugged them in thinkpad wouldnt boot and start beeping
I'm not an expert but can that RAM be outright defective?..
I assume the motherboard is known to work with different RAM sticks?

800Mhz RAM should work fine in an up to 667Mhz motherboard

Also, 2Gb sticks should be very cheap and commons these days..
I kept stumbling over lots of cheap 2Gb sticks on ebay when looking for 4Gb ones
There were lots on Facebook marketplace too
It does look like you'd have found them locally as easily as overseas
No clue, thats why Im asking, I got no device to try the RAM on. Its currently rocking 2 random 1gb sticks from different brands, but both are 667. The ones I bought are the 2x2gb 800mhz on here https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32872375 ... 63c0qcOb63

atagunov

#4 Post by atagunov » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:55 pm

It's a little confusing some photos in that item on Aliexpress show DDR2 and others DDR3 but I trust you know one from the other and I trust you wouldn't have hammered DDR3 into DDR2 memory slots :) I'm still under impression you should be able to find some 2GB DDR2 sticks locally for comparable money.. and with an option to return if they don't work for you. Perhaps some local notebook repair shop? Those sticks are seriously lying around without any use in numbers around planet Earth.
X220, 2 *T520

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:15 am

This wifi-card: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/273873116287 can run at 867Mbps.
Make sure you get one that has Model: 7260HMW and Wireless-AC 7260 printed on it.
Needs a half-size adapter.
Another cool-running card would be the older Intel Ultimate-N 6300, running at 450Mbps (needs adapter as well).

RAM: avoid any so-called "Value-RAM".
DDR2-6400/PC2-800 SO-DIMMs run slightly cooler than DDR2-5300/PC2-667.
Preferably get 2Rx8 sticks (printed on them somewhere).
Get a matching pair from Hynix, Micron, Samsung, Elpida, Axiom, etc.
NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown till December 2020!
Covid-19: Mask it or Casket!
Check out The Boardroom for Mods and Other Services.