Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X61s AFFS 1024 x 768 upgrade issue

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
derad

X61s AFFS 1024 x 768 upgrade issue

#1 Post by derad » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:03 am

I have been working on upgrading an X61s panel to the HV121X03-100 as described at https://ithinkpad.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/x6xipsguide.

I removed the touch panel and, before closing the screen lid up, I checked to confirm that everything worked.

I then tried to close up the lid and could not get the lid front cover on. So, I took it apart again and totally removed the metal border of the panel.

When I put it back together, the screen was not working (https://imgur.com/a/KMXvbXj). As well as the unusual pattern, it also was making a high pitched, albeit quiet, sound.

Does anyone know what this pattern means? Did I touch something I shouldn't have? I am going to assume that the panel is toast.

unixed

Re: X61s AFFS 1024 x 768 upgrade issue

#2 Post by unixed » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:47 am

Replace with the original screen sans adapter to confirm that the replacement AFFS screen has been damaged.
The screen bezel should fit when using the AFFS screen, except possibly for a small gap at the top side(s), which does not prevent the lid from closing. It is much safer to just tape over that if you are concerned with dust ingress or cosmetics than to remove the metal border.
If you couldn't get it to fit to the above-mentioned extent, you could and should trim the eyelets closer using a dremel, particularly the PCB has room for improvement. Finally you can ommit the side screws, just using the bezel to keep the screen in place.