Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Unsatisfactory Warranty Repair. (PICS 56k warning)

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
Justintoxicated
Freshman Member

Unsatisfactory Warranty Repair. (PICS 56k warning)

#1 Post by Justintoxicated » Tue May 13, 2008 11:58 pm

Sent in my laptop for Bad audio jack. It's loose and has been bugging me. Audio cuts out in one channel with slight movement of most audio cables.

I get the laptop back, audio port is still loose. now theres paint missing from the top corner and scratch on the memory door. The memory Door is also no longer flush with the case but sticks out above the case towards the side with the product ID sticker :(

Man this sucks! Looks like they took it apart and 1/2 butt slapped it back together without fixing anything.

Notes say they took the system board out but I have my doubts. I asked ont he forum about the loose audio jack but didn't get any responses so I assumed mine was defective. Are they all like this? The Mic Jack plugs in tight, but the audio port is the same as before. Are they just saying they took the board to get money ruffing up the laptop a bit to make it look like they did something or what?

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc27 ... G_2359.jpg
Memory Cover sticking out.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc27 ... G_2361.jpg
Small scratches on Memory Door

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc27 ... G_2362.jpg
Small chip in coating in corner of laptop.

While these scratches are not terrible, they certainly were not there before! This laptop is practicaly brand new! They annoy me even more because the problem with the loose Headphone jack is still there. I have tried something like 9 different plugs and they all fit loosely. If I would have know they were jsut going to make it worse I never would have sent it in.

Note from Moderator: No inline images without a warning in the subject line AND no images >50k!

mod edit: converted images to clickable links
Last edited by Justintoxicated on Wed May 14, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#2 Post by Brad » Wed May 14, 2008 1:05 am

Your experience is not what it is supposed to be. I would call and explain your dissatisfaction. They should make it right.

Brad
Long Island New York
T43p 2669-Q1U, A22p's UTU A21p HXU
Transnote, 770's 8AU, 600, 701CS, 755CD

Justintoxicated
Freshman Member

#3 Post by Justintoxicated » Wed May 14, 2008 2:39 am

Brad wrote:Your experience is not what it is supposed to be. I would call and explain your dissatisfaction. They should make it right.

Brad
They want me to send it back in...

Trekk69

#4 Post by Trekk69 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:05 am

Well the good thing is you have some solid photographic evidence.
I would send it back (hopefully it goes to someone different this time), and hopefully the newly created problems will be resolved.

If not, continue to call them, or post in the Lenovo forum your experience, many users have garnered success after having difficulties calling them, etc.
X61 Tablet 7767....loving every moment of it

Brad
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#5 Post by Brad » Wed May 14, 2008 4:59 am

I am sure they can fix it. Hopefully there will not be any more damage done. They should replace everything that was nicked. It isn't right that you send in a perfect ThinkPad and they send you back one that just is not.

Which technician was listed?

Brad
Long Island New York
T43p 2669-Q1U, A22p's UTU A21p HXU
Transnote, 770's 8AU, 600, 701CS, 755CD

fuscob

#6 Post by fuscob » Wed May 14, 2008 2:17 pm

Another option is to e-mail Sam Palmisano, especially if your issue is not resolved when you send it in for the second time.

ronan_zj

#7 Post by ronan_zj » Wed May 14, 2008 8:23 pm

i had a bad experience too, but I fixed by myself eventually, and I told myself next time I needed to bring my laptop to local service center instead of mailing deposit.
Those tech. are too busy to to a good job on all laptops.

Justintoxicated
Freshman Member

#8 Post by Justintoxicated » Thu May 15, 2008 1:55 am

Can anyone tell me if their Headphone jack is significantly looser than the Mic Jack?

I'm finding it a bit hard to belive they changed the system board for another that has the exact same issue (like it says on the paperwork). Unless they are all like this? Even then im going to send it back and hope they replace the LCD Case (chipped the coating off in the corner) and Memory door so its not bent out of shape and scratched.

If I would have caused the scratches I would not be that upset, but since I sent it in and it was not fixed and came back dinged up I don't think I'm being picky. I mean I had the laptop for 2 months and not a single scratch, they have it for 2 days and mark it up? IMO thats beyond doing a bad repair job, its simply neglect and carelessness. it almost looks liek they wore downt eh paint on the corner by using it as a top or something. Its actualy WORN down shiny then bare. Were they spinning it like a top or what?

Trekk69

#9 Post by Trekk69 » Thu May 15, 2008 3:51 am

Justintoxicated wrote:Can anyone tell me if their Headphone jack is significantly looser than the Mic Jack?
Mine is not looser.
They both feel secured at tight.
X61 Tablet 7767....loving every moment of it

fuscob

#10 Post by fuscob » Thu May 15, 2008 4:52 pm

Justintoxicated wrote:since I sent it in and it was not fixed and came back dinged up I don't think I'm being picky.
Not at all - you're absolutely right. Send it in again; if you're not satisfied, use the link I provided to contact Sam Palmisano's office. If no one else does, they will make it right.

snots
Freshman Member

#11 Post by snots » Thu May 15, 2008 4:52 pm

hmmm that does suck. dont worry about the paint scratches -- its just cosmetic and the stress you incur from worrying is probably much worse. one of them u cant even see since its on teh bottom.

the memory door sticking out does seem to have an effect -- does it cause the laptop to be raised? if so, that is one thing u might want to get fixed.

just relax i guess -- in the end its just a stupid laptop we will throw away in a few years. so go have fun :D

JaneL
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#12 Post by JaneL » Thu May 15, 2008 5:22 pm

As far as the memory door is concerned, did you take a screwdriver and try to reseat it? It always takes me a couple of tries before I get it flat.
Jane
2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X300, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga 3 Pro
Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Facebook group
I'm on Twitter

I do NOT respond to PM or e-mail requests for personal tech support.

Justintoxicated
Freshman Member

#13 Post by Justintoxicated » Thu May 15, 2008 5:31 pm

Well the audio ports still seem loose on mine. But now both the Mic and headphone jacks are loose instead of just the headphone jack. My Friend just ordered one so I think I will wait until he gets his to test to see if its even worth sending back.

I fixed the memory Cover, since theres aluminum on the back I was able to bend it back into the proper shape so that it is flush. FOund osme more scratches on the inside palmrest that were not there. I sent them a Brand new Mint laptop with the only problem durring the 2 months I owned it being the headphone jack was really sensitive and could have trouble keeping stereo output.

I guess they broke it in for me. So much for the $50 memory foam case I keep it in to prevent these sorts of scratches.... If I could take it back I'd probably just buy a sound card for it and would not have sent it in to get damaged, I mean fixed. Sure I'm being a perfectionist, and I don't mind scratches etc so much when I put them there myself.

Basicaly I feel like I bought a used laptop instead of a new one....

n3il
Sophomore Member

#14 Post by n3il » Fri May 16, 2008 11:32 am

Phone them up, explain the situation, organise to send it back to them to have the original problem resolved as well as the ones that they created.

If you leave it too long then they'll claim that the scratches were your doing...

Don't agonise over it - just do it! :)
Neil
R50p 1832-23G; 2GB RAM

fuscob

#15 Post by fuscob » Fri May 16, 2008 12:39 pm

n3il wrote:Don't agonise over it - just do it! :)
Agreed; I would have been on the phone as soon as I took it out of the box and saw the damage.

Justintoxicated
Freshman Member

#16 Post by Justintoxicated » Fri May 16, 2008 4:56 pm

And I was on the phone as soon as I got it back...

Shipped it back today, Guess I'll find out next week what they decide to do about it. I hope they can at least fix the darn audio port already. I tested another laptop 3 PC's home audio equipment MP3 players etc and none of them have loose audio jacks like the x61s. Maaybe I really did just get two bad ones in a row. I have no idea.