Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

A few more questions. Trackpoint, multi-touch, heat, HDD.

X60/X61 series specific matters only.
OldManClayton

A few more questions. Trackpoint, multi-touch, heat, HDD.

#1 Post by OldManClayton » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:14 pm

Well, time to check in, I guess! Too many to put in separate threads.

Table of Contents
Naw, just kidding. XD

At the moment my trackpoint has decided to be mean and start jittering in place. Restarted, reinstalled, no luck. Any tips? It's very distracting, not to mention debilitating. :lol: EDIT: Fixed this. :thumbs-UP:

The computer has also been getting really hot lately, (Scalding hot. Can't use it as a literal laptop with shorts on) and I'm not even doing anything processor-intensive. I thought the ULV in this thing was supposed to be low-heat. :roll:

Out of curiosity, is it at all possible to switch out a standard tablet display for a multi-touch one with a higher resolution? I'm not sure I'd want to tackle something like this just yet for fear of ruining it, but I'd really like the higher resolution and the multi-touch.

I'm also looking to upgrade my disk space to a 500GB drive. I've found a few on newegg but I don't know which ones are too loud or slow et cetera from the skimpy reviews on the site. Any specific recommendations? This isn't too important, just thought I'd throw it in.

And finally, I believe I mentioned this before... the LCD goes wonky when I'm using it in tablet mode. It's like when you push the center of a soft LCD. I have been nothing but careful with it and never apply too much pressure. At first I took someone's advice and dealt with it, but it doesn't seem normal and it gets distracting when I need to see what I'm doing in GIMP. Will Lenovo fix this? (I could ask them, but I need to make sure I round up all problems before I open any tickets.)

Thanks for reading! :)
560, 560, 560, (all in various stages of completion/possession of a screen) 600E that's pretty dead, and a spiffy new X61 Tablet.

ZaZ

Re: A few more questions. Trackpoint, multi-touch, heat, HDD.

#2 Post by ZaZ » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:40 am

Heard the Hitachi 5k500 is very low power.
ProBook 470 G5

hart22

#3 Post by hart22 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:12 pm

Regarding the heat, check your power manager settings under both battery and AC to see if there are tweaks you can make to reduce consumption and heat. Also check the global power settings to see if there are any overrides you aren't aware of which may be increasing heat output. Lastly, check your processes under task manager to see if there's any intensive ones or even a few too many; sometimes with my X61T a lot of stuff is running under the hood but I don't even notice. That might generate more heat. As for physical, sometimes a partial dis-assembly to inspect the internals for fan blockages, excess dust, etc may help, although this one's pushing it. I wouldn't do arctic silver just yet if you haven't tried these because that may cause warranty issues.

Don't believe multi-touch panels on this model ever came in the higher res; you had STD normal res, MT normal res, and STD high res.

For a 7200 RPM 500 GB option check out the Seagate Momentus 7200.4, although some have complained about heat there. Trade-offs are inevitable, of course.

Lastly, my LCD is rock-solid, so maybe you can get that looked at.

Cheers
Current: T430
Past: T42 | T60 | T61 | X61T | T410

OldManClayton

#4 Post by OldManClayton » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks for the reply, I fiddled with the power manager but I'll have to wait and see what happens. I doubt I'll be opening it up.

I know (or at least I'm reasonably sure) the multi-touch panel had a resolution higher than 1024x768, which is what I ended up with.

Writing down the HDD model you listed. :)

I'll probably send it in to Lenovo before too long.

Thanks!
560, 560, 560, (all in various stages of completion/possession of a screen) 600E that's pretty dead, and a spiffy new X61 Tablet.

occ

#5 Post by occ » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:11 pm

How did you fix your jittering problem. I have the same issue and its driving me nuts!

Thanks!

OldManClayton

#6 Post by OldManClayton » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:29 pm

My case may be different from yours. :lol: Make sure no external inputs are connected. Specifically bluetooth and USB mice. I had plugged a mouse into the extension cord I usually use for my external hard drive, and it had fallen behind my bed. Once I couldn't access the drive, I realized what happened. I really must have drank something weird that morning. :oops:

j-dawg

#7 Post by j-dawg » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:50 pm

I didn't get the finger-touch screen exactly because it was unavailable in anything but 1024x768. The SXGA+ screen only works with the pen.

It is a fantastic screen, though, and having played with touch screen laptops I can't imagine that the ability to poke buttons is much use.
X61 Tablet - 1.6GHz C2D, SXGA+, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, Vista Business.

i have other laptops but i'll be honest i never use 'em