Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

0x00000024 NTFS.sys BSOD

X60/X61 and X60t/X61t Series
OldManClayton

0x00000024 NTFS.sys BSOD

#1 Post by OldManClayton » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm getting the most unfortunate BSOD on boot with windows 7. The error is pretty scant on details, it just says 0x00000024, which is apparently a corruption of ntfs.sys. I've run system restore, system file checker, chkdsk, Spybot, AVG, checked the boot log, effectively disabled all services and processes on startup, disabled the pagefile, taken out the RAM, attempted defrag, uninstalled plenty of programs, ran crap cleaner, manually replaced ntfs.sys with a new version via DOS, uninstalled my antivirus, disabled/uninstalled quite a bit of the hardware (both ones skipped by safe mode's bootlog and others) and tried whatever else came to mind.

I've googled and googled and googled and read countless threads saying the issue could be practically anything (nobody ever seems to have the exact same problem). For a while I thought it was an issue with the DIMM slot, because I tried a number of combinations of RAM and all but having both sticks in gave me a DIMM/system board beep error. But then I realized that when I manage to get into safe mode, all 3GB of RAM register, and memtest86 detected no errors. I'm hoping that's not it, because tech support just told me a mobo replacement is $575.

I've also tried to boot with a BartPE disc that someone lent me, and I happened to get the same BSOD. :?:

All I have left is to format/replace the hard drive, but since my backup system recently fell through, I'm pretty reluctant to do that. Any help would be awesome!

OldManClayton

Re: 0x00000024 NTFS.sys BSOD

#2 Post by OldManClayton » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Seems I've finally solved this humdinger. By obliterating the IDE controller and using the windows DVD to repair the resulting deadness of Windows, I managed to bring everything back up to snuff.

And I'm moving straight into fixing my backup setup. :D
560, 560, 560, (all in various stages of completion/possession of a screen) 600E that's pretty dead, and a spiffy new X61 Tablet.