Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

How to install Norton Ghost backup of hard drive

Want to know HOW TO..? Have a FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION..?
If you can't find it here, tell us and we'll publish whatever you need
Chef

How to install Norton Ghost backup of hard drive

#1 Post by Chef » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:12 am

Greetings!

Where can I find instructions on how to install a DVD (that I have) of a Norton Ghost backup of my hard drive?

I've had a "free space" issue with my A31P over the last few years and the size of that shrunk down to literally just a few Mgs at which point I set it aside. Just this past week I reopened it and (with the help of a friend) I some how recovered gigs of free space! However I had dumped virtually all my files and as many programs as I possibly could in my desperate attempts to gain free space. Now I wish to restore my basic OS. I originally got my A31 from E-bay via a friend who made me a Norton Ghost backup of the hard disc but without any instructions on how to install that. I'm sure it's easy and I'm "gun shy" on proceeding after I all I've been through with this machine. Enlightened suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :D

rkawakami
Admin
Admin

Re: How to install Norton Ghost backup of hard drive

#2 Post by rkawakami » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:50 pm

Welcome to thinkpads.com!

Do you know what version of Ghost that was used to create the backup? I use Ghost 2003 in DOS mode to create my backups/images and there is an option to install a boot copy of the Ghost program directly onto the optical disk, be it CD or DVD. This makes the disk bootable without any other software. For a Thinkpad you would power up the system, press the F12 key right away, open the drive tray, mount the disk and then specify the CD/DVD drive in the boot menu.

I wrote up a procedure several years ago:

http://www.kawakami-ca.com/ghost_2003/dvd_restore/

If your DVD is not bootable, then you will have to get a copy of the Ghost program and probably boot it from a floppy. You could then follow my instructions from Figure 4 onward.

I would also suggest that you perform the restore operation onto a different hard drive than what you are using now. That way you might still have access to some files that were created after your friend make the backup.
Ray Kawakami
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.

Chef

Re: How to install Norton Ghost backup of hard drive

#3 Post by Chef » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:44 am

Thank you!

Have a fabulous rest of your week!
~chef