Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Free win 10 upgrade.

Want to know HOW TO..? Have a FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION..?
If you can't find it here, tell us and we'll publish whatever you need
cwbuckley

Free win 10 upgrade.

#1 Post by cwbuckley » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:18 pm

I guess that by now most of you have heard about the free upgrade to win 10 that microsoft is offering.

I have a x-201 running win 7. I also have a desktop. My desktop I received the get free win 10 app to reserve a copy of win 10 for that computer. Unfortunately I have not gotten it for my x201. All files are up to date. I have win 7 with sp1, but I do not have that app that says get free win 10. Does anybody out there know how to get that app?

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: Free win 10 upgrade.

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:17 pm

Welcome to the forum!

There's an update from maybe less than a month ago - you can Google for it - that will enable the icon and the upgrade. I can't recall the actual KB, but it starts with 304.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

cwbuckley

#3 Post by cwbuckley » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:26 pm

Well, the number that you are talking about is kb3035583 and I have it installed on my computer. I even ran the compatibity check and it says that my computer is ready to have win 10 installed. But I still dont have that get win 10 app like my desktop does. I dont know if its because of all the ibm stuff that there. I tried to contact IBM, but it would appear that their site is down.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:32 pm

cwbuckley wrote: I dont know if its because of all the ibm stuff that there. I tried to contact IBM, but it would appear that their site is down.
It's not an IBM computer but a Lenovo one so IBM wouldn't be able to help you anyway.

And no, "the stuff" has nothing to do with it since my wife's R500 got the app and it sports a W7 install from the original Lenovo recovery media.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Norway Pad
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Norway Pad » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:04 am

I deleted this "app" (GWX.exe) and hid the KB3035583 update on my other computers, as it was a nag that came up when I started the computer. I'm maybe more against such things than the average user, so don't necessarily see that as a suggestion to follow.

I do however intend to get Win10 for the T420, and I'm pretty sure that when Win10 comes out in July, there will be a way to get the free upgrade even if you don't have this app. So no worries.
Bjorn
THINKPAD collector. Only missing a proper RetroThinkpad.

Amadeus Amadeus

#6 Post by Amadeus Amadeus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:34 am

OK, this is a speculation from my side, do take it with a grain of salt...

Most of my machines are OEM licensed W7s, both 32 and 64 bit. Although coming from different brands they all rely on that respective brand's SLIC 2.1 table in BIOS. For those who don't know, SLIC 2.1 is a digitally encrypted signature housed in the BIOS chip. It's merely 134 bytes long but vital to determining whether W7 is to be considered genuine or not when licensing through the OEM (Acer, Benq, Toshiba, HP etc.).

Just for fun, I installed on one computer from a type of Windows 7 media that ignores the SLIC signature and instead made the installation "genuine" with a loader.

Although this fake variant updated and behaved as normal, it didn't offer me the possibility to upgrade to W10.

After erasing the hard drive and reinstalling the "real" Windows 7, that relied on the SLIC 2.1 signature (or table) in BIOS, the W10 offer came up.

Could be the same with W8?