Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Yosemite on x220

OS-X on ThinkPads
Aznbull

Re: Yosemite on x220

#31 Post by Aznbull » Thu May 14, 2015 5:58 am

johnmcdonnell wrote:
Aznbull wrote: Hi JohnMcdonell.
I can gladly inform you that I've solve the bootloader problem, and I managed to find a kext that made the VGA out working.
At the moment I've got a 99% working hackintosh, bios whitelisted ( still waiting for my mini pci-e card from HK) working DP/VGA, sleep, sound, and no kernel panik like the first 3 times :) .

I still have 1 problem thought, and that is I can't use mirror/duplicate screen when I use VGA out, I can only extend the screen. DP is working with mirror/duplicate and extend monitor.

READ this if you want VGA output on your x220 hackintosh:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=102098

If we got any one in here that are able to fix the VGA output so it's capable of duplicating the screen, it would be great.
Hi Aznbull,

VGA out (both mirrored and extended displays) is working properly for me with the standard install outlined in the guide. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you.

If the VGA cable isn't plugged in when you first boot the computer it might be necessary to go to System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement and press the Option key (Windows key on the x220) and then click the Detect Displays button

Let me know if this doesn't work.
I used the original Kext, and indeed that the VGA output works when it's plugged in from the boot, when unplugged the VGA cable I was not able to use the VGA output again, I tried the ( detect display button, but it doesn't detect the extern monitor, a reboot is needed.

Btw did you managed to get the SD card reader working ?

johnmcdonnell

#32 Post by johnmcdonnell » Thu May 14, 2015 11:51 am

Aznbull wrote: I used the original Kext, and indeed that the VGA output works when it's plugged in from the boot, when unplugged the VGA cable I was not able to use the VGA output again, I tried the ( detect display button, but it doesn't detect the extern monitor, a reboot is needed.

Btw did you managed to get the SD card reader working ?
That's strange. As far as I know every x220 has the same in-chip graphics hardware (Intel HD Graphics 3000), so it seems like the VGA output should work in a consistent way. I'll let you know if I come across anything that might help.

Still no luck with the SD card reader. I know some people have managed to get this working with different ThinkPad models (such as the T61) with a patched VooooSDHC.kext, but the results are pretty inconsistent and often don't work for others with the exact same model. I'll definitely keep working on this, though.

Aznbull

#33 Post by Aznbull » Thu May 14, 2015 5:15 pm

Sounds great !!!! :banana:

I have been trying to dual boot osx with Win8, and I can't configure Clover to do it. I've followed many guides on the internet, so far I don't have any succes, after installing both OS, and at clover bootloader, I can only boot osX the win8 icon is there but when I choose it, nothing happens the screen turns black and that's it.

Any guides or suggestions ?

johnmcdonnell

#34 Post by johnmcdonnell » Thu May 14, 2015 5:41 pm

Aznbull wrote:I have been trying to dual boot osx with Win8, and I can't configure Clover to do it. I've followed many guides on the internet, so far I don't have any succes, after installing both OS, and at clover bootloader, I can only boot osX the win8 icon is there but when I choose it, nothing happens the screen turns black and that's it.

To boot Windows using Clover, you need to have installed Windows in UEFI mode. Unfortunately, your current Windows installation is probably a standard Legacy BIOS installation. There are ways to convert a Legacy BIOS installation to UEFI, but it may be easier to just re-install Windows.

Here's what I did:
  1. Go into the BIOS settings, select the Startup tab and set UEFI/Legacy Boot to UEFI Only and then Save and Exit
  2. Boot the computer with an external DVD drive from a standard Windows installation DVD (a standard Windows installation USB won't boot in UEFI mode - you can try this guide to make a UEFI Windows USB if you need to go this route, though)
  3. Follow the normal Windows installation steps and Windows will automatically install in UEFI mode
  4. When finished, you can switch the BIOS settings back to Both for UEFI/Legacy Boot which will allow you to boot from USB drives if/when you ever need to do that.
Hope this works for you!

Aznbull

#35 Post by Aznbull » Thu May 14, 2015 6:17 pm

johnmcdonnell wrote:
Aznbull wrote:I have been trying to dual boot osx with Win8, and I can't configure Clover to do it. I've followed many guides on the internet, so far I don't have any succes, after installing both OS, and at clover bootloader, I can only boot osX the win8 icon is there but when I choose it, nothing happens the screen turns black and that's it.

To boot Windows using Clover, you need to have installed Windows in UEFI mode. Unfortunately, your current Windows installation is probably a standard Legacy BIOS installation. There are ways to convert a Legacy BIOS installation to UEFI, but it may be easier to just re-install Windows.

Here's what I did:
  1. Go into the BIOS settings, select the Startup tab and set UEFI/Legacy Boot to UEFI Only and then Save and Exit
  2. Boot the computer with an external DVD drive from a standard Windows installation DVD (a standard Windows installation USB won't boot in UEFI mode - you can try this guide to make a UEFI Windows USB if you need to go this route, though)
  3. Follow the normal Windows installation steps and Windows will automatically install in UEFI mode
  4. When finished, you can switch the BIOS settings back to Both for UEFI/Legacy Boot which will allow you to boot from USB drives if/when you ever need to do that.
Hope this works for you!
I have actually made an bootable win8 installation for UEFI :9

But here's my steps:
1. Set bios to boot both legace and UEFI,
2. boot with osx (from your guide) use disk utils to make 2 partition from 1 disk, partition 1 = GPT> dos format ( win8) ; partition 2 GPT > mac journal format (osX).

3. Set bios to UEFI boot
4. install UEFI windows8 on first partition.
5. set bios to both legacy and UEFI boot
6. Install OsX on 2nd partition (from here everything is fine)
7.Following the steps from your guide for Yosemite on X220
8. Here's when I lost it, when i need to configure Clover bootloader, I'm not sure what to choose, because I tried all the method that you can google ( dual boot yosemite and win8 with Clover), and I have no luck making it work.

I can always make it to boot into OsX, but everytime i choose win8 at boot, it just prompt a black screen and sits there.

Any suggestions ?

johnmcdonnell

#36 Post by johnmcdonnell » Thu May 14, 2015 6:36 pm

Aznbull wrote: I can always make it to boot into OsX, but everytime i choose win8 at boot, it just prompt a black screen and sits there.

Any suggestions ?
You may have already tried this, but there's a guide to configure Clover for the kind of situation you're dealing with here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting ... ost1007344

Aznbull

#37 Post by Aznbull » Fri May 15, 2015 6:32 am

johnmcdonnell wrote:
Aznbull wrote: I can always make it to boot into OsX, but everytime i choose win8 at boot, it just prompt a black screen and sits there.

Any suggestions ?
You may have already tried this, but there's a guide to configure Clover for the kind of situation you're dealing with here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting ... ost1007344
I haven't tried this one, I'll take a look at it this weekend, I'll wait for the arroval of my mini wifi pcie card form HK, before I do another dual boot attempt :)

jzhang18
Sophomore Member

#38 Post by jzhang18 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:27 am

johnmcdonnell wrote: If you have everything working properly on the first x220 the cloned drive should just work in the second x220 without re-installing Clover.

I've always had good luck with CarbonCopyCloner making proper clones of all of the partitions and successfully creating a bootable clone.
I cannot make that working for me, Maybe you can point out what is wrong in my process.
I use CarbonCopyCloner latest version - 30 days full features trial. I downloaded from its official web site.
My working source disk called "MAC HD" -- 128 GB SSD
My destination disk formatted as GPT disk, named with "SSHD500"
Then I started to clone from "MAC HD" to "SSHD500"

After it finished, I put "SSHD500" into my Thinkpad x220. boot machine, hit F12 key, choose it, it just returns back to my BIOS boot sequence screen.

It seems "SSHD500" is not boot-able. boot flag is missing. Is that caused by trial version? one more thing -- when I use "MAC HD", in system preference, I choose "MAC HD" as my start-up hard drive. So when OSX boot from "SSHD500", it is still looking for "MAC HD"?

What could be wrong?

Really appreciated.
X61 T8300 4GB Lion 10.7.3
T61 T9300 4GB Mavericks 10.9.3
T61 T8300 4GB Mavericks 10.9.3
T61 T7500 4GB Mountain Lion 10.8.5
T61p T7700 4GB Mavericks 10.9.1
T61p T7500 8GB Mavericks 10.9.3
X201 i5-540M 8GB Mavericks 10.9.3
T410 i5-560M 8GB Mavericks 10.9.3
T420 i5-2520M 8GB Mavericks 10.9.3

johnmcdonnell

#39 Post by johnmcdonnell » Mon May 18, 2015 12:00 pm

jzhang18 wrote: I cannot make that working for me, Maybe you can point out what is wrong in my process.
I use CarbonCopyCloner latest version - 30 days full features trial. I downloaded from its official web site.
My working source disk called "MAC HD" -- 128 GB SSD
My destination disk formatted as GPT disk, named with "SSHD500"
Then I started to clone from "MAC HD" to "SSHD500"

After it finished, I put "SSHD500" into my Thinkpad x220. boot machine, hit F12 key, choose it, it just returns back to my BIOS boot sequence screen.

It seems "SSHD500" is not boot-able. boot flag is missing. Is that caused by trial version? one more thing -- when I use "MAC HD", in system preference, I choose "MAC HD" as my start-up hard drive. So when OSX boot from "SSHD500", it is still looking for "MAC HD"?

What could be wrong?

Really appreciated.
I'm not certain what is causing the problem, but I don't think using the trial version of CarbonCopyCloner is the issue.

Can you boot the computer from your installation USB and then select the cloned drive at the bootloader? If this works it might just be necessary to install Clover on the cloned drive to make it bootable.

You might also try SuperDuper instead of CarbonCopyCloner to see if that works better with your setup.

Hope this works. Let me know.

jzhang18
Sophomore Member

#40 Post by jzhang18 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:32 am

johnmcdonnell wrote: I'm not certain what is causing the problem, but I don't think using the trial version of CarbonCopyCloner is the issue.

Can you boot the computer from your installation USB and then select the cloned drive at the bootloader? If this works it might just be necessary to install Clover on the cloned drive to make it bootable.

You might also try SuperDuper instead of CarbonCopyCloner to see if that works better with your setup.

Hope this works. Let me know.
Not working for me either. I downloaded SuperDuper 2.7.5, clone my disk. the same issue as CCC.
As you mentioned earlier -- clover EFI partition never got copied. I need to re-install clover boot loader in my new disk.
In my original disk, after I install Yosemite. I have recovery partition. so in clover booting screen, I saw 2 partitions: "MAC HD" (system) and "recovery".
But in cloned disk, after I re-install clover boot loader, I can boot it up, but I only saw one partition during booting screen. Why recovery partition is not cloned? (I knew it later on - SuperDuper does not clone Recovery Partition, but that is OK to me.)

update 5/22/2015 -- I downloaded Recovery Partition Creator 3.8, created recovery partition. now my new disk looks almost identical to the original disk.

One mystery - In x220 bios, there is a new disk item called "MAC OS X" is added, when I hit F12, I can see it, in BIOS boot sequence, I can also see it, but I cannot remove it. What is it?

Still one question - in my case, why EFI partition was not cloned? with either CCC or SuperDuper.

Really appreciated.
Last edited by jzhang18 on Fri May 22, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
X61 T8300 4GB Lion 10.7.3
T61 T9300 4GB Mavericks 10.9.3
T61 T8300 4GB Mavericks 10.9.3
T61 T7500 4GB Mountain Lion 10.8.5
T61p T7700 4GB Mavericks 10.9.1
T61p T7500 8GB Mavericks 10.9.3
X201 i5-540M 8GB Mavericks 10.9.3
T410 i5-560M 8GB Mavericks 10.9.3
T420 i5-2520M 8GB Mavericks 10.9.3

Aznbull

#41 Post by Aznbull » Thu May 21, 2015 4:49 pm

I gave up on having dual boot yosemite/win8 on same Ssd, can't make it work. Anyway I've received my wifi a Broadcom BCM94322HM8L it's working OOB, so once again I'll thank Mcdonnell and everyone for the help.
If anyone knows how to install/setup dual boot yosemite and win8 on same hdd/ssd, please link or a step by step guide is highly appreciated :D :D :D .

plympton
Sophomore Member

#42 Post by plympton » Fri May 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Aznbull wrote:I gave up on having dual boot yosemite/win8 on same Ssd, can't make it work. Anyway I've received my wifi a Broadcom BCM94322HM8L it's working OOB, so once again I'll thank Mcdonnell and everyone for the help.
If anyone knows how to install/setup dual boot yosemite and win8 on same hdd/ssd, please link or a step by step guide is highly appreciated :D :D :D .
Probably a sensible approach. It's easy enough to add an mSata drive for mac and sata drive for windows if you want to dual boot. Easy peasy that way. I fought the good fight to get dual boot too, and never had much luck. Enjoy!

kai
Freshman Member

#43 Post by kai » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:11 pm

Thank you, johnmcdonnell for the hard work in documenting your install.

I've followed your steps but for some reason, I cannot get the sound working at all? I happen to have 2 X220 machines and have followed the steps but neither seem to work. I'm using 10.10.3 if that helps.

If you have any ideas, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!

johnmcdonnell

#44 Post by johnmcdonnell » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:22 pm

kai wrote:Thank you, johnmcdonnell for the hard work in documenting your install.

I've followed your steps but for some reason, I cannot get the sound working at all? I happen to have 2 X220 machines and have followed the steps but neither seem to work. I'm using 10.10.3 if that helps.

Thanks!
Not sure what the issue might be with sound. You might try reinstalling the VoodooHDA-v2.8.4.pkg and then go through step 19 in the guide again.

Let me know what happens when you try this.

kai
Freshman Member

#45 Post by kai » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:03 pm

johnmcdonnell wrote:
kai wrote:Thank you, johnmcdonnell for the hard work in documenting your install.

Thanks!
Not sure what the issue might be with sound. You might try reinstalling the VoodooHDA-v2.8.4.pkg and then go through step 19 in the guide again.

Let me know what happens when you try this.
Hmm.. It appears that sound is working.

I tried as you suggested and heard a very familiar jingle sound when the installation completed. However, it's extremely faint - even with the sound turned all the way up.

Under VoodooHDA settings, is there anything that can adjust the sound levels? I've tried putting up PCM to max and that rotary knob button - what is it supposed to do? It just seems to turn round and round without doing anything.

I'm trying to test out video but viewing youtube videos at the moment - and there I can't seem to hear anything at all!

One other thing - is there anything I can do about the mouse clicks? It seems quite random as to whether the mouse will register a proper click or not and it can be quite frustrating when trying to select menu items or drag windows around? These are the mouse buttons for the trackpoint btw.

Thanks for replying!

johnmcdonnell

#46 Post by johnmcdonnell » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:20 pm

kai wrote: Hmm.. It appears that sound is working.

I tried as you suggested and heard a very familiar jingle sound when the installation completed. However, it's extremely faint - even with the sound turned all the way up.

Under VoodooHDA settings, is there anything that can adjust the sound levels? I've tried putting up PCM to max and that rotary knob button - what is it supposed to do? It just seems to turn round and round without doing anything.
This is step 19 in the guide at http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/:

Install VoodooHDA-v2.8.4.pkg and then follow these steps to configure audio:
– Restart the computer
– Open System Preferences > Sound and verify that Output is set to “Speaker (Analog)”
– Open System Preferences > VoodooHDA
– Set the top pulldown menu on the left side of the preference pane to “1:Speaker (Analog)”
– In the Mixer Controls section, the slider labled “PCM” should be set at about 80%
– In the Sound treatment section, check to box for “Use SSE2,” set Noise reduction to 0 and Stereo base to 0
– The Volume knob on the left side can be adjusted as necessary

Check again to make sure you have everything set as described here, especially the Output setting in System Preferences > Sound

The rotary knob should be labeled Volume because, if everything is set correctly, it will adjust the volume.
kai wrote: One other thing - is there anything I can do about the mouse clicks? It seems quite random as to whether the mouse will register a proper click or not and it can be quite frustrating when trying to select menu items or drag windows around? These are the mouse buttons for the trackpoint btw.
I'm not sure what the issue might be with the TrackPoint buttons. These seem to be working normally for me. The VoodooPS2Controller.kext controls how this functions so you might want to experiment with a different version of this kext to see if you get better results.

xash

#47 Post by xash » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:43 pm

tried to dual-boot win 10 from separate ssd - no luck. do it have non-uefi installation too?
x220: i5-2540M / 16Gb / 240Gb+128Gb M.2 / Bt4.0 / WiFi5Hz / MacOS Sierra / 1290x1080 nitrocaster full hd mod

johnmcdonnell

#48 Post by johnmcdonnell » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:27 pm

xash wrote:tried to dual-boot win 10 from separate ssd - no luck. do it have non-uefi installation too?
My understanding is that Clover will only boot UEFI installations of Windows, including Windows 10.
Sorry, I can't tell from your comment if this is what you have already tried.

baghdady92

#49 Post by baghdady92 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:47 am

Hello everyone
i followed the guide and i got everything fine .... (not wifi also touch screen)
i wonder if anyone got the touch screen & pen working on X220 Tablet
Thank you

orinoco

#50 Post by orinoco » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:24 pm

I know this is a bit of a curve ball, my x220 boots Mavericks, Win8.1 and Win10 all from the same SSD, has anyone managed to upgrade from mavericks as opposed to a clean install of Yosemite? Reluctant to try it as don't want to hose my system

Thanks

MrGenius

#51 Post by MrGenius » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:08 am

Followed the guide for El Capitano on X220 and it is working fine.
The only problem, that i have: The webcam is not working. Telling me that no camera is connected. Anybody has a solution for that?

jugulaire

#52 Post by jugulaire » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:54 am

I have installed on my X220 Yosemite with this thread : http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/

But when i'm doing this :
Recommended additional steps to enable native CPU power management:
Confirm that you have an active connection to the Internet
Open Applications > Utilities > Terminal then copy and paste the following command in the Terminal window and hit Enter:
curl -o ~/ssdtPRGen.sh https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Piker ... dtPRGen.sh
Next paste this command in the Terminal window and hit Enter:
chmod +x ~/ssdtPRGen.sh
Finally paste this command in the Terminal window and hit Enter:
./ssdtPRGen.sh
Answer ‘N’ to the questions about copying and opening the ssdt files
A customized ssdt.aml for your specific machine will now be in the /Users/yourusername/Library/ssdtPRGen directory
(quickly access this directory in the Finder by holding the Option key (Windows key) while selecting the Go menu and then selecting Library)
Copy ssdt.aml to /Volumes/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ (you may need to run Clover Configurator to mount the EFI partition)
Run the Kext Utility app to repair permissions and rebuild the system cache then restart the computer
My battery is no longer detected.
I have tried to put back the old ssdt file in EFI but it is not working.
I have tried to put back the kext again but no working too..

Anybody had the same issue on his thinkpad ?

Actually i'm trying to reinstall OSX to fix the problem.

After a clean install i've try again to configure the Power management
and it's work fine, i just use the console to copy the aml file.

Thank mrs Macdonnelle for his precious tutorial ! :bow:

johnmcdonnell

#53 Post by johnmcdonnell » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:42 am

MrGenius wrote:Followed the guide for El Capitano on X220 and it is working fine.
The only problem, that i have: The webcam is not working. Telling me that no camera is connected. Anybody has a solution for that?
The webcam should work without any additional configuration.

You might try disconnecting any peripherals that could be interfering with the webcam being detected. Also check your BIOS settings under Security > I/O Port Access to confirm Integrated Camera is set to Enabled

Hope this works for you.

MrGenius

#54 Post by MrGenius » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:03 am

Thanks for your answer.
Double-checked BIOS, camera is enabled, but not recognized with Mac OS X.

Booted a live-windows and camera is there and working.

And another one:
Anybody got the Ericsson F5521GW WWAN Adapter working?
It is recognized as USB-Device, but not WWAN:
F5521gw:

Produkt-ID: 0x1911
Hersteller-ID: 0x0bdb (Ericsson AB)
Version: 0.00
Geschwindigkeit: Bis zu 480 MBit/s
Hersteller: Lenovo
Standort-ID: 0x1d140000 / 3
Verfügbare Stromstärke (mA): 1000
Erforderliche Stromstärke (mA): 0
Zusätzlicher Betriebsstrom (mA): 0
Integriert: Ja

EvoT61
Freshman Member

#55 Post by EvoT61 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:37 am

MrGenius wrote:Thanks for your answer.
Double-checked BIOS, camera is enabled, but not recognized with Mac OS X.

Booted a live-windows and camera is there and working.

And another one:
Anybody got the Ericsson F5521GW WWAN Adapter working?
It is recognized as USB-Device, but not WWAN:
F5521gw:
Thats how it suppose to be.... wwan is using usb .
A bit OT now ... is Mac OS X free ? i would like to try one :)
IBM ThinkPad
T61 C2D-T8300 + FingerPrint.
ArchLinux ThinkPad
X220 i5-3320M

ranXeron

#56 Post by ranXeron » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:13 am

johnmcdonnell wrote:I put together a guide to installing OS X 10.10 Yosemite on the ThinkPad x220 here:

http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/

Links to all of the necessary kexts and utilities are in the guide.

Hope this helps. There's a feedback form at the bottom of the guide if you find anything that isn't accurate.
Hi John -

first of all thanks a lot for your extraordinary useful guide installing OSX on the x220.
I followed it to the letter to successfully install El Capitan and Win 10 on my x220 core I7.
Nevertheless two little quirks are remaining:

1. USB 3.0 Port is not working despite using the latest GenericUSBXHCI.kext from your kext pack 2.
2. The computer won´t shut down if the wifi hardware switch is turned on - instead it reboots. Turning the wifi hardware switch to the off position before shutting down solves the problem.

Do you or anybody else have any idea what could be the cause of this behavior?

Cheers

David

johnmcdonnell

#57 Post by johnmcdonnell » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:54 am

ranXeron wrote: Hi John -

first of all thanks a lot for your extraordinary useful guide installing OSX on the x220.
I followed it to the letter to successfully install El Capitan and Win 10 on my x220 core I7.
Nevertheless two little quirks are remaining:

1. USB 3.0 Port is not working despite using the latest GenericUSBXHCI.kext from your kext pack 2.
2. The computer won´t shut down if the wifi hardware switch is turned on - instead it reboots. Turning the wifi hardware switch to the off position before shutting down solves the problem.

Do you or anybody else have any idea what could be the cause of this behavior?
Hi David,

There seem to be mixed results with the GenericUSBXHCI.kext and USB 3.0 on i7 X220 systems under El Capitan. The one included with the guide is version 1.2.11 which is reported as working by some users, but you might have better luck with one of the other versions provided by RehabMan here: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-gen ... /downloads

I haven't ever heard of the issue with the computer rebooting unless the wifi hardware switch is turned off. Which wifi card do you have installed?

ranXeron

#58 Post by ranXeron » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi John -
thanks for your fast reply.

The wifi card I use is the Dell DW1510, nothing extraordinary...

Should I deeinstall the currently installed GenericUSBXHCI.kext before I install the kexts you mentioned?

David

johnmcdonnell

#59 Post by johnmcdonnell » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:54 pm

You're right, the DW1510 shouldn't be the source of any trouble. I'm really not sure what might be going on with the wifi switch.

If you install a different version of GenericUSBXHCI.kext using Kext Utility then you shouldn't need to remove anything first. Kext Utility will take care of making a backup of the existing kext before installing the replacement.

ranXeron

#60 Post by ranXeron » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:51 am

johnmcdonnell wrote: If you install a different version of GenericUSBXHCI.kext using Kext Utility then you shouldn't need to remove anything first. Kext Utility will take care of making a backup of the existing kext before installing the replacement.

I tried all of them - no joy. But I found out, that after booting with a device plugged into the usb 3.0, the port is recognized and accessible immediately within OSX...