I'm joining this thread with a wireless problem on my home LAN. I have a stock new Lenovo 3000 C200, Win XP home, Broadcom 802.11g internal card.
My home network has five computers, and the Lenovo is the 6th. I use an access point (Linksys WAP54G) on channel 6, and the speed is blazing fast on the other machines, including a Dell laptop with an Intel 2000bg wireless card.
The Lenovo has the latest drivers downloaded yesterday from the Lenovo site.
Sometimes the Lenovo connects immediately and works flawlessly. Sometimes it connects and drops the connection in from a few seconds to a few minutes. Sometimes it doesn't get an IP address from the DHCP server. Sometimes it doesn't even connect at all.
There seems to be no pattern to when it works and doesn't, but it can be sitting right next to the WAP and not get a connection.
Out of the box it seemed to work fine, but on the first reboot after setting up it actived the "Access Connections" software and the problems began. (It could have been coincidental.)
It is also far more sensitive to distance from the WAP than my other machines. I'm working from the Dell right now which is about 40 feet and one floor away with an excellent signal. From this same spot, the Lenovo reads the signal as poor.
So far I have...
* Downloaded all the Windows XP updates (this was before the reboot that activated "Access Connections").
* Installed the new Broadcomm drivers from the Lenovo site (downloaded on the Dell and burned to CD, since it couldn't get them from the Lenovo), and did the same for the "Access Connections" application.
* Changed from DHCP to fixed IP and back.
* Removed and re-seated the Broadcom card.
* Changed the aggressiveness of the roaming to low (to avoid dropping the connection on low signal).
* Turned off and on the Windows firewall (there is a firewall in front of the access point).
* Turned on and off "afterburner" mode (which is compatible with the Linksys WAP).
* Entered the WEP key as both its text and its hex string.
In summary, it works once in a while, but most of the time it doesn't. Is there any known solution to this? Somewhere a new driver was mentioned, but the lastest one (from January) seems to make no difference.
I cannot access Lenovo support because their support website was just redesigned and it will not let me sign in with my username/password (though it will let me change it and my profile).
One poster here has suggested disabling the "Access Connections" software and just using the Windows system. There doesn't seem to be an option to disable it; does it have to be uninstalled?
When it arrived the audio was stuttering and breaking up when playing DVDs and mp3s. The wireless lan was also dropping in and out or refusing to work at all.
So I went for a full rebuild after checking everything was working using a live Linux CD (Slax). I had an absolute nightmare getting the audio to work again after my clean install, Lenovo don't have the correct driver set on their site, I had to search around to find the Windows UAA hotfix to get it working.
But back to the subject, everything is now working as it should... except the wireless card. I have a great deal of experience with wireless networking and the various chipsets in cards. It is my opinion that these issues are purely driver related, which unfortunately means all we can do is sit back and hope a better driver surfaces.
Another option, which I think I'll pursue, is to buy an Intel ABG PCI-E card and swap them out.
Thanks for the info. I may follow your lead and swap cards.
By removing the Lenovo access software, the wireless connection time improved, but the dropping of connections (even next to the access point) and the failure to reconnect has been crazy.
My Dell Inspiron 6000 has been connected for almost exactly seven days, and it's 40 feet from the access point. In the beginning, it was just like the Lenovo, until a software update cured the problem.
I haven't tried the Lenovo outside of the home LAN (we're in a rural area, so no neighborhood wireless to test with). For now, since this is on my home LAN, I've got it wired.
All three cards installed and started with Windows 7 Pro installed. There is a real win 10 conflict when installed on older computers. Seems like Windows 10 would just use Windows 7 drivers that work but it tries to reinvent the wheel.
Have been working and searching for a week to get win10 installed on a Lenovo 3000 C200 and have tried every solution/suggestion found by searching. Please respond if you have installed win 10 on this computer and have used the built in WiFi!
- Admin Emeritus
- Posts: 20031
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 am
- Location: Dublin, Ireland
My oldie 15" 3000-C200 oldie is still sitting in my junk-pile.
It is fully working with XP (except battery), but I couldn't even sell it for $5 on our local flea-market.
It would be perfect for Linux though, something to consider.
- Similar Topics
- Last post
- 9 Replies
- 1010 Views
Last post by BigCatAndy
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:01 pm
- 3 Replies
- 577 Views
Last post by BigCatAndy
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:07 pm
- 3 Replies
- 448 Views
Last post by dr_st
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:59 am
X1 Carbon Tablet 3rd Gen - Sleep/Suspend issues - Sometimes won't respond!
Last post by pkiff « Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:15 pmReplies: 8
Posted in ThinkPad X1/X1-Carbon (X1Cx)/X1Cx-Tablet and newerby pkiff » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:16 pm » in ThinkPad X1/X1-Carbon (X1Cx)/X1Cx-Tablet and newer
- 8 Replies
- 1708 Views
Last post by pkiff
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:15 pm
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests