Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Touchpad and wifi stops working when charger plugged in?

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
Asks-for-Boots

Touchpad and wifi stops working when charger plugged in?

#1 Post by Asks-for-Boots » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:04 am

This is a problem that's arisen in my Lenovo 3000 C200 just a few weeks ago. Since as long as I can remember, when I plug my phone into a USB port on this laptop, the touchscreen stops functioning properly until I unplug it. But now when I plug my laptop into the mains, the touchpad stops working, and the mouse jumps about as if I have many fingers on the pad at once. However I can still use the buttons below the touchpad and an external USB mouse works, as does the keyboard. Additionally, sometimes when it's plugged in the wifi card stops working: it still shows as connected but won't load any pages. At first I thought it was a Linux bug but when I booted into Windows I have the same issue.

Admittedly, keeping it in an old rucksack full of rubbish without a sleeve and carrying it to college and back every day for two years probably hasn't done it much good, but has anyone else had this issue? Is there a quick fix?

The charging port is failing too now so I've invested in a Thinkpad T60, but I don't want to write this 3000 off completely.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Touchpad and wifi stops working when charger plugged in?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:55 am

Welcome to the forum.
Those 3000-C200 are cheap and (somewhat) cheerful. (15" XGA and Celeron?)
Check all your USB ports carefully, that there are no bent contacts inside, or plastic bits missing.
If you can get a cheap motherboard, go for it, otherwise think of a more rugged laptop replacement.
14.1" T61 or R61 with Intel graphics and XGA or SXGA+ would be perfect to finish college.
If you prefer widescreen, they are also available with WXGA or WXGA+.
These machines can take up to 8GB RAM and use SATA hard drives.
Warning: do NOT buy any of those with nVidia graphics!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Asks-for-Boots

#3 Post by Asks-for-Boots » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:08 am

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes this was only a few pounds off eBay, I'm broke :P Though I think mine might have Core2Duo rather than a Celery. The USBs are all in-tact, and since it's all the USB ports the issue arises with, I'm assuming it's a controller chip issue or something, but I guess I'll have a look around for a new motherboard.

I've went and bought the cheapest working 14" T60 off eBay, though it's not very specific with the model number, so it may just be one with the dreaded NVidia issue. D: I didn't need anything too expensive since I'm not using it as my main PC, just something that I can use WHILST charging xD I'll definitely go and buy a sleeve to protect this new(ish) one I've just purchased, I'm surprised the 3000 lasted as long as it did with my clumsiness :P

I guess I'll just start using this old 3000 as a testbed for software, shame it's giving in though :/

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:38 am

Some T60 and T61 models look fairly similar, but that's where comparison ends.
T60/R60 can only take maximum 2x2GB = 4GB RAM, of which only 3GB is usable! (T61/R61 8GB)
With XP/Vista/W7 or Linux it'll work fine though.
You can transfer RAM/HD/CPU from your 3000 to the T60 if you like.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Asks-for-Boots

#5 Post by Asks-for-Boots » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:58 am

I consider the 60/61s to be the last of the true ThinkPads, before they lost their unique design, otherwise I would have gone for a newer one :P I've only got 2 or 3GB in this Lenovo at the moment, I've never felt the need to go over 4 yet (so long as it's enough for old Elder Scrolls games, I'm happy!)

I'll probably just end up using the HDD it's supplied with (and perhaps one of those DVD bay HDDs since I have a ton of spare SATA disks kicking around) seeing as I partitioned the disk wrong on this and only gave the Windows partition about 20BG (forgetting Windows can't read EXT formats). I'd resize it but will probably end up wrecking the disk (not that there's anything important on this anyway).

I'll have a look at moving the CPU if the one in this is better, but I still want to keep using this 3000. But the lose connection in the charging port which only started today is getting worse and worse :(
Always wanted a new ThinkPad anyway so I guess it's not all bad!

Asks-for-Boots

#6 Post by Asks-for-Boots » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:16 am

Update: Found out it was the dodgy third-party charger which had become faulty, as plugging it into my TP caused the touchpad to mess up as well. Replaced the charger with a genuine one and now both laptops work great ^_^