Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

PCMCIA to ExpressCard adapter available?

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
Chuck-TX

PCMCIA to ExpressCard adapter available?

#1 Post by Chuck-TX » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:35 pm

Hello all. My employer has recently given me a data-intensive research job that includes uploading bunches of data (acoustics data from the water system for you geeks), recorded onto PC cards, to their FTP server. Problem is, my Lenovo 3000 V100 has an ExpressCard slot only. I mentioned my problem to them, and they sighed and said that this problem is becoming more common, then wondered out loud if an adapter is available.

There was nada at my local Best Buy, Circuit City and going-out-of-business CompUSA. Also bupkis was found at most online retailers.

I began looking around, and was surprised at how little I found--online, I found one PC-card to ExpressCard adapter (called Dueladapter), and one PC-card to USB adapter. These devices, I think, are designed for people with EVDO and other modems--I only need it to transfer data, much as you would with a USB stick drive. A site that happens to have both types is here: http://rfwel.com/shop/catalog/PC-Card-P ... p-745.html and here: http://rfwel.com/shop/catalog/PCMCIA-PC ... -1050.html

I'm kinda mushy for the PC to EC (Dueladapter) adapter rather than the PC to USB, but any opinions are welcome. On the PCMCIA-to-EC adapter page, there is a list of (non)compatible devices, and IBM and Lenovo pop up, although the 3000 V100 isn't specifically mentioned.

RfWeL is closed now and I will call them in the morning to discuss further, but I figure that you guys will have some knowledge or at least some opinions about this stuff. So...

Do you know of any other adapters available?
Do you have any experience with these or other adapters?
Any other thoughts or opinions? Maybe if I just shove in the PC card really hard, it will fit?

Thanks.

Chuck
El Paso, TX

Chuck-TX

#2 Post by Chuck-TX » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:40 pm

I'll answer my own question. I'm kinda surprised that nobody else has had this problem of having an ExpressCard slot in their new notebook, but old PC cards they need to use.

According to Duel Systems, the Duel Adapter is the only PC card to ExpressCard adapter on the market. I purchased it, and it has operated for a few weeks with no problems. The adapter cost $100. It requires a driver, and Duel Systems says the adapter doesn't work with every computer, including some IBM and Lenovo notebooks. But it works with my 3000 V100.

Duel says there is also a PC to USB adapter available too. I saw it somewhere online, and it costs $200. I wasn't able to find any of these devices for sale in a retail outlet.

monkey2

#3 Post by monkey2 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:35 pm

Here's what I've found out .. the hard & expensive way.

I have T-mobile unlimited dsl grandfathered web $30/m with Sierra 775 dsl aircard pcmcia that is only xp. Sony Ericsson GC89 is for Vista, also pcmcia but it looses 60% signal and fails connection. this was using a new Acer 17" Vista Aspire 9410 notebook, with pcmcia slot. I tried upgrading it to xp but never found all of the necessary drivers, then the left touchpad button quit. The vendor sent a rma for repair or replacement, but with Vista. Maybe?? I'll find someone with vista to xp cd, they want topart with.

I then bought the Lenovo 3000 N200 with XPP and express slot.. I spent 4 hrs w/online tech & confirmed with Duel, the duel adapter is not compatable with this XPP version. I tried loading an earlier xpp version but Lenovo refused the load on a new sata hdd.

Quatech's aircard device compatibility list http://www.quatech.com/support/u132-u142-compatible.htm
Quatech device ($42) looks the same as Duel ($110) either of my aircards are not supported.

My old Gateway M305CRV served me well, until it slid off my seat during a panic stop & jammed the gps usb cable into the case as it hit the floor. it's a cripple now. I was looking for a new replacement that was better & so far found only frustration.

If anyone has a workable solution.. I'm all ears!
monkey2

Lenovo 3000N200 XPP Nice!
Acer Aspire Dbox & laptop -Vista - fun stuff!

monkey2

Re: PCMCIA to ExpressCard adapter available?

#4 Post by monkey2 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:20 pm

[quote="Chuck-TX"]Hello all. My employer has recently given me a data-intensive research job that includes uploading bunches of data (acoustics data from the water system for you geeks), recorded onto PC cards, to their FTP server. Problem is, my Lenovo 3000 V100 has an ExpressCard slot only. I mentioned my problem to them, and they sighed and said that this problem is becoming more common, then wondered out loud if an adapter is available.

Chuck..

You need what I just bought from Amazon & returning .. orig made by Quadtech, now listed under Lenovo. quadtech.com has more info.

Lenovo 41N3040 Gemplus GemPC USB Smart Card Reader. The card slot looks thinner than creditcard but about the same size maybe.

The other also Lenovo is GemPlus ExpressCard Smart card Reader. It fits your Express Slot and you slip your Smart cards in and out without removing the reader.. pretty slick.

Looks what you want!
monkey2

Lenovo 3000N200 XPP Nice!
Acer Aspire Dbox & laptop -Vista - fun stuff!

wkearney99

Re: PCMCIA to ExpressCard adapter available?

#5 Post by wkearney99 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:29 pm

To anyone that stumbles across this page, note that the Quatech U142/U132 does not have 64-bit drivers. So it won't work for Windows 7 x64 versions. Much to my dismay. I'd hoped to use an older PCMCIA aircard with a new machine. Not with the U132 unfortunately.