Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Z565 - picked one up...had questions

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
joester

Z565 - picked one up...had questions

#1 Post by joester » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:10 pm

I picked one up today that has an issue...
Won't start normally into windows, reboots and offers recovery or start normally.
Choose recovery, the progress bar stops 1/3 of the way across the screen, then it reboots and offers the same menu.
I tried the One Touch Recovery and it boots into a wallpaper type windows screen and the pointer moves around, but no options or icons available.
Reboot, and I'm back to the recovery/start normal screen so I'll assume I will need recovery disks (which I don't currently have).

I also noticed that for a 2 year old product, there is only one post on the forum announcing it's product release...did I inherit the proverbial red-headed step-child?

Joe
Last edited by joester on Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Common sense to some of us is unfortunately the higher education others strive to attain.

joester

Re: Z565 - picked one up...had questions

#2 Post by joester » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:31 pm

After some investigation, I found an article on the One Touch Recovery and some issues it had.
After downloading a new recovery file for the one-touch and a slight BIOS modification I was able to boot the recovery off a USB drive and restore the system to factory original.

Any other Z565 owners out there?
Common sense to some of us is unfortunately the higher education others strive to attain.

joester

Re: Z565 - sole survivor?

#3 Post by joester » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:53 am

Wow. A whole year later and no response. I guess not too many were sold or I'm just the only Z565 owner on the forum.

Majestic

#4 Post by Majestic » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:44 am

For connecting with other IdeaPad owners of your model you would probably get a better response over at Lenovo's forum.
This forum is more geared for the ThinkPad product line.

https://forums.lenovo.com
My Laptop Collection:
IdeaPad Z570, 8gb RAM & Win 7 Home Premium / Win 8.1 Pro
Toshiba A75-S206, 1.5gb RAM & Windows 7 Home Premium
ThinkPad T-22 (Formerly a T-20), 512mb RAM & Win XP Pro

aPanzerIV
Freshman Member

#5 Post by aPanzerIV » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:33 pm

Hey, my sister had a Z565 that got clobbered by a virus. The bootup recovery never worked out of the box and we didn't make disks, so we were screwed.

If you have a windows install on there I would try to get it working to burn disks, if there is a password on it there are some tools that (I won't mention their names) that you can use to bypass them. If it doesn't boot you can try a few other things (also google them).

Otherwise I'd run seatools to make sure the drive is still good, and then do a clean install of windows.

Edit: Actually I remember having a similar situation with a Thinkpad Edge E420.

Get a external drive carrier and put the drive in it.

Hook it up to a working computer with lotsa hard drive space, find the recovery partition and copy EVERYTHING off of it (preferable you use Aomei and a third hard drive that is completely empty and sacraficial).

Now you have 2 options, either could work or not work:

A. Put the empty sacrificial drive into the Z565 to see if it will boot the recovery partition.

B. Extract all of the contents of the recovery partition (30-40Gb), and copy the C drive contents over to the origional drive after wiping it. Then boot your new screwed up windows install, create recovery disks, and then do a factory restore with the disks.

The second option worked for me, maybe you will have luck with this :)
Current: -R60 14" T-9945, R40 15" T-2897, 600 13.3" T-2645-45U-
Previous: -R40 15" T-2897, R40 P4-M 14", R50 14" T-1859, E425 T-1198-
Non-Thinkpad: HP Probook 6470B, Dell Latitude D610, Dell Dimension E520

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Any of those non-Thinkpads with a model-number ending with a 5, had an AMD CPU in it (to compete with HP's junk?).
The matching Z560 with Intel was already an undesirable, so a Z565 with AMD is even less preferable!
Remember, this really is a Thinkpad forum, not an Ideapad forum.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine