Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Back lit keyboard hack ideas?

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
dogbarber
Freshman Member

Back lit keyboard hack ideas?

#1 Post by dogbarber » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:13 pm

Tried to replace my non backlit keyboard on my Ideapad P500 with a backlit keyboard I recently purchased. This model came both ways.

There is a separate ribbon on the backlit board for power, so I also replaced the CD/DVD connector board where that power supply connects to as mine did not come with it. After installing that new small board, bummed to find out the connector on the mother board it in turn connects to is also bigger to accommodate those wires. So now I'm dead in the water. I think.

Here's the question. Even my standard non backlit keyboard has power going to it to light up the num lock and Caps lock keys, so the standard board is obviously getting power. Any ideas how to tap into that to power the backlit board without having to replace the entire motherboard.

I'm open to creative suggestions.

Doesn't even have to be able to be switched on and off. I'm fine with it being on all the time.

Thanks one and all. :)
Nokia 920 Windows 8 phone
Dell Latitude E5500
Ideapad P500
Thinkpad R52
Thinkpad T61 ---> Intel 520 120G SSD, 1 Tb WD Blue Scorpion 12.5mm hard drive, Middleton BIOS, 4 Gigs Ram, Intel 6200 wireless N, T7700 processor.

28CarsLater
Freshman Member

Re: Back lit keyboard hack ideas?

#2 Post by 28CarsLater » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:00 pm

I've never attempted such a thing but am intrigued. On the cable which connects from the keyboard into the mobo, there are may be two power input wires: one for the num lock etc, and one for the back light. If you cut the ribbon, figured out the wiring configuration, and rewired the backlit strand into the generic power one, it might work with the added bonus of leaving the mobo untouched. Just my .02.
Thinkpads: X395, X301, X230, W530, W701 "Astra"
Dell: Precision 5520 Xeon "LucieX"

JaroTech

Re: Back lit keyboard hack ideas?

#3 Post by JaroTech » Wed May 04, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi, the power to the keyboard for the caps and num lock is only 3 volts, you need for the backlit keyboard 5 volts from the connector JKBL1.
T400 6473-PVU | T43 2686-DHU | 560 2640-20U