Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

My All Black S10

E.g. 3000, IdeaPad, S- and U-Series, B-Series and so on...
archer6
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

My All Black S10

#1 Post by archer6 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:53 pm

I just finished setting up my All Black IdeaPad S10, and I must say that of all the new laptops I've had, this one is certainly impressive. If you would have told me two years ago, that I could buy a new Lenovo of this size and form factor, with XP, a gig of ram, and and 80GB hard drive for a mere $367 I would not have believed it. Everything about this IdeaPad has exceeded my expectations. And this is not just the "halo" effect of the first day of ownership, as I'm a bit jaded after all I've seen and done with notebooks.

Prior to selecting this model I researched all other netbooks quite completely. I saw some in person and I even had a chance to try a few that I bought while waiting not so patiently for Lenovo to finally release this model in black. To add to the mystery was the fact that in typical fashion I had to order it sight unseen, as most of us do. Anyway, everything I read that concerned me, such as running hot, noisy fan, etc. must have been corrected, as this machine runs very silent, cool, and stable. I've been using it non-stop for the last four hours and it's everything and more than I could have hoped for.

The plastic case exudes quality, the fit and finish is every bit as good as my X60s. I must say that I'm shocked to find this display as good if not better than that on my X60s. This is the very first Lenovo laptop I've had without the beloved trackpoint, I'm very impressed with the touch pad, especially given the fact that I never use it on my other ThinkPads. The keyboard is very solid, there are no soft spots anywhere and the key travel is very comfortable. There is not a single aspect of this S10 that I am not impressed with. No matter where you look there is nothing but quality here for an incredibly low price. Overall I rate this a keeper, and highly endorse it, to those that are interested in a netbook that will also handle more. I plan to put Office and OneNote on mine, as well as BlackBerry desktop manager so that I can sync it with Outlook.

Cheers...
Favorites From My ThinkPad Collection

Workstations... T40p ~ T41p ~ T42p ~ T43p ~ T60p ~ T61p ~ W500 ~ W510
T Series..... T22 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 41 ~ 42 ~ 43 ~ 60 ~ 400 ~ 500 ~ 510
X Series..... X20 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 60 ~ 60s ~ 200 ~ 200s ~ 301
Netbooks... S-10 ~ S-12

mattbiernat
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: My All Black S10

#2 Post by mattbiernat » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:36 am

interesting. i've been very tempted with netbooks as well, I guess mostly for playing and storing my music files and pictures. and of course the cheap price tag.
do you think you could post some pictures?

archer6
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My All Black S10

#3 Post by archer6 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:13 pm

mattbiernat wrote:interesting. i've been very tempted with netbooks as well, I guess mostly for playing and storing my music files and pictures. and of course the cheap price tag.
do you think you could post some pictures?
Here's a set that I found on Flickr

http://flickr.com/photos/13815526@N02/s ... 576284709/

I simply cannot say enough good things about the S10. And believe me I am very picky, too much so. I can find fault with nearly anything, and it's not like I want to, or that I'm trying to, but I'm a bit OCD as I'm an engineer and want everything "just so". Frankly the day after ordering it I had buyers remorse, envisioning this cheap toy like laptop after seeing other netbooks. Then it arrived and I was simply shocked. Once again, I'm thrilled at what Lenovo built. And I'm not heaping praise on them, it simply is what it is. An amazing laptop that has benefited from trickle down technology. You will not be disappointed.
Favorites From My ThinkPad Collection

Workstations... T40p ~ T41p ~ T42p ~ T43p ~ T60p ~ T61p ~ W500 ~ W510
T Series..... T22 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 41 ~ 42 ~ 43 ~ 60 ~ 400 ~ 500 ~ 510
X Series..... X20 ~ 30 ~ 40 ~ 60 ~ 60s ~ 200 ~ 200s ~ 301
Netbooks... S-10 ~ S-12