thinkpads.com Support Community Forum Index Bill Morrow's thinkpads.com Open Forum - The Original Thinkpad Support Forum
Follow ThinkpadsForum on Twitter
Goodbye Lorita, wherever you've gone..

If you've found this forum useful, please consider donating a dollar or two

It is currently Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:23 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:29 am 

It's been a while since I posted, a relative got ill and I have to stay at their place most of the time to take care of them, and my tiny ancient netbook just wasn't cutting it with the security I had in place to browse the net, so I looked for the most reliable laptops they make, Thinkpads. Decided on a x220t, found a guy selling many for $250, not bad for IPS and multitouch screen, let him know I don't want any scratches on the screen, no problem.
He overstuffs the box and then it got crushed over Christmas, the screen bumper for the palmrest got broken right into the expresscard port, got a partial refund for that, installed 7 pro over 10 cause 10 is not my taste, then I go into the bios and get a sour surprise when I figure out what's happened, computrace is enabled and activated in the bios, intels AT wasn't atleast, this seller never warned me computrace was on there, and in my ignorance of not even hearing of it before I never thought to ask.
So now I gotta call Absolute software and probably grovel to get them to disable it remotely, what a pain in the @ss, I don't even want to use the laptop even tho it's already phoned home and didn't brick, just too paranoid about it. Not sure if I can post ebay links here but if anyone is looking it's the guy selling x220ts for $250 buy it now, he's already sold over 40, probably from a palette sale, so I guess anyone looking for x220ts beware.
I hope I can get this computrace issue resolved so I can upgrade this machine to really fly and get all it's features back up and running. I'll keep people posted about my progress.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:55 am 
Admin
Admin

I assume this is the one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272376264072
Calling Absolute is a pain, but if you don't go online, Computrace doesn't interfere with daily life.

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.
And don't forget the Motherboards!
Refreshing is advised!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:20 am 

Yes, thats it. And I cdo everything online so I'll have to get this resolved somehow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:55 pm 

Check out Edward's useful Computrace post here:
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=114641

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:32 pm 

all x220 tablets are IPS. there are no TN x220t.
also, $250 is a bit too high for the device. Try flashing coreboot and disable intel ME, it should also remove any computrace stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:52 am 

dogeitrade wrote:
all x220 tablets are IPS. there are no TN x220t.
also, $250 is a bit too high for the device. Try flashing coreboot and disable intel ME, it should also remove any computrace stuff.

Does coreboot really wipe the entire bios and remove computrace? Someone else on the forum mentioned coreboot never actually disabled Intel ME. And I'm not finding anything definite about coreboot removing computrace online.
Is it possible to flash coreboot then flash a official Lenovo rom or unofficial lenovo rom like the modded 1.43 from here and have a bios with computrace set to default so it can be deactivated??
I'm going to be running Windows so it looks like I would need seabios, I'm assuming everything the hardware can support will run and everything whitelisted like extra SSD drives, etc? I want to use all the thinkvantage tools and on screen menus as well. Sorry if this turned into a bit of a ramble, I'm exhausted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:00 pm 

Ok I called computrace, they took the serial number, that was it, generated a case, gave me the case number and got my email address and then told me they would email me when they got confirmation of the release, guess all I can do now is hope and wait. :x

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:30 pm 

I contacted Absolute again to make sure the company that owned this laptop was still in business, they said yes it's still in business, and the company is very large and still takes has contracts with them, not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I'll have to see.