Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Cannot update X200 bios. Help wanted!

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
vveigs

Cannot update X200 bios. Help wanted!

#1 Post by vveigs » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:07 am

Hello forum members, i recently joined the ThinkPad club by buying an X200, with the intention of librebooting it. I realised, however, that I had to update the EC firmware, which can only be done by running the lenovo bios upgrade tool as far as I'm aware.

Problem is when i tried to do it, the tool always failed with the error message: "BIOS Directory cannot be found". It was then that I noticed the bios ID on the thinkpad started with 7W, rather than 7X or 6D which are the prefixes for any X200 bios(https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/p ... uj48uc.txt), 7W is the prefix for X200 Tablet bioses(https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/p ... uj45uc.txt).
The specific version i have installed is 7WET31WW, which according to the text file above, should be paired with the EC version 1.01, but my bios screen reports the EC version as 1.04. And the MAC address reported by the bios doesn't match the one printed on the sticker below the ram slots. All those oddities led me to the conclusion that a previous owner force flashed an X200 Tablet bios onto this board.
I did try using the X200 Tablet updgrade utility, to no avail.

I do have a Raspberry Pi and a soic16 clip thought I'm unsure if I'll need them to fix this. The solution i could think of was to flash a slightly older x200 bios rom, only to upgrade it, along with the the EC firmware. If anyone can provide me such a rom image or a better idea i'd be immensely grateful :)

P.S. I apologise if the URLs are poorly formatted.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Cannot update X200 bios. Help wanted!

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:02 am

What is the TYPE of the X200?
Either a sticker on the laptop-bottom or in the BIOS (first 7 char. after 'System-unit serial number').
If blank and/or UUID is all zeros, they can be changed with the HMD program.
If the latter, that would explain part of your BIOS update problem.

What is the P/N or FRU of the motherboard?
Check if a previous owner perhaps soldered in another BIOS chip?
For MAC address, see e.g. this: viewtopic.php?t=74180
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Covid-19: Stay safe, so still Mask it or Casket!

vveigs

#3 Post by vveigs » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:47 am

Thank you for your reply! Indeed the System-unit serial number is blank and the UUID is all zeroes. I'll be sure to check the tool you linked shortly, should it alone be able to solve my problem?
The P/N of my motherboard appears to be 04W6766. I've also noticed there's an external sticker that mention the laptop's supposed MAC address, and it matches neither the one in the internal sticker nor the one listed in the bios.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:13 am

That mobo 04W6766 is a refurbished one, those come without Type, SN and UUID (use HMD to fill those).
Your original TYPE is on the sticker on the bottom, the S/N can be any 7-char number.
A proper Type (without -) in the BIOS is needed for updates, the S/N is irrelevant.
Don't know if this is enough to afterward update your BIOS.

vveigs

#5 Post by vveigs » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:25 am

Sorry, the type appears to be 7458-G29.
Also, does lenovo offer that HMD Tool in a format other than a windows executable? If they don't I'll prepare a portable Windows 7 usb drive to run it.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:12 pm

Install/unpack that HMD download, it includes a self-booting USB-stick format.

vveigs

#7 Post by vveigs » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:51 pm

Alright, i have used the tool to Assign a UUID and write a "System-unit Serial Number", now my EPROM has both type 40 and type 20 entries, the 20 being the one I added.
Now my bios shows both the UUID and the System-unit Serial Number, which i gather includes the Type. Though i am still unable to update just as before, with the same error: "BIOS Directory was not found. The process did not complete."

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:59 am

vveigs

#9 Post by vveigs » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:01 pm

I'd read that thread before and unless I missed something, the problem described there appears differs from mine. It was that thread that made me try to update using an X200 Tablet's iso file, to no avail.
But I have made progress! Got my hands on a stock X200's rom file, which i flashed onto mine using SPI, and from there managed to update to the second newest version(6DUJ47UC). Now only when trying to update to the latest one(6DUJ48UC which is the first one to implement EC version 1.07) do I get the "BIOS Directory was not be found. The process did not complete." error. Before flashing that error happened with every version I tried.

The only thing i find weird is that in Lenovo's download page the filename for the latest iso is "6duj48us.iso" but later in the page and in this file you can see the previous iso's ended in "uc". The last letter being different could just mean a change in EC version, but it's the only oddity I've been able to spot.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#10 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:13 am

The difference in the file-names points to the versions, you will find:
6duj48us.iso \
6duj48uc.txt / self-bootable CD-version

6duj48u6.exe \ 64-bit
6duj48us.exe \ 32-bit
6duj48us.txt ./ Windows version

Your problem could (still) be that the X200 has two BIOS versions: 6D and 7X.
You may now/still have the wrong version on that machine, but I don't know how to determine what was (or should be) on there originally.