Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x220 Modified BIOS 1.46, problems with right click

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
orang2tang

x220 Modified BIOS 1.46, problems with right click

#1 Post by orang2tang » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:52 pm

I installed Modified BIOS 1.46 and turned my X220 into a hackintosh which is working well except for having odd problems with the trackpoint buttons.

Using an external mouse works flawlessly, but when I use the internal trackpoint buttons a couple things are wrong.

1. The right click button only works once after boot, then stops working completely. Sometimes if I haven't clicked it for a while it will work on the first try. Sometimes if I repeatedly press it, it will appear.

2. Drag and drop just doesn't work. Attempting to drag and drop anything causes whatever I'm dragging to be stuck to my cursor, with the only solution being to click the esc button.

These problems don't just occur on my High Sierra install, they occur on every install I've done since updating the BIOS. Windows 7, Linux Mint, Pop OS, XP and more.

I'm considering downgrading my BIOS to a previous one and forgetting about running High Sierra. I work at my desk a lot with a mouse and keyboard which isn't a problem, but sometimes I want to work in bed as well and this makes it completely impossible.

Let me know if you know of a way to possibly fix this while maintaining the current BIOS. Thanks! :P

orang2tang

Re: x220 Modified BIOS 1.46, problems with right click

#2 Post by orang2tang » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:33 pm

Update: even after downgrading my BIOS the problem persists across multiple OSes. My next step would be to buy a new keyboard and replace my current one but I don’t want to waste the money if it does turn out to be something else.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:43 am

Assuming you're talking about McDonnel's 1.46, have you changed any of the Advanced settings?
Try BIOS F9 (for default settings), then F10 and reboot.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Covid-19: Stay safe, so still Mask it or Casket!

orang2tang

#4 Post by orang2tang » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:55 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:43 am
Assuming you're talking about McDonnel's 1.46, have you changed any of the Advanced settings?
Try BIOS F9 (for default settings), then F10 and reboot.
Yeah that was one of my first troubleshoots after learning my right click was being funky. I've since switched bios with no luck...

I ended up just disabling the trackpoint all together (even though I love the trackpoint) and am using the touchpad for now because it works fine by itself. I've done pretty much all the tests I can do without extending above my technical skills. Like I said, last thing I can think of is to buy a new keyboard but I don't want to waste $30 in case its an internal problem.

Thanks for the reply tho!