Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Successfully using X201 with Windows 11 including working Fingerprint reader, Bluetooth, and Trackpoint scrolling!

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
angeleyes

Successfully using X201 with Windows 11 including working Fingerprint reader, Bluetooth, and Trackpoint scrolling!

#1 Post by angeleyes » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:46 am

I just wanted to share that Windows 11 is working perfectly on my X201 including the drivers and devices. It's running very fast (with SSD + 8GB RAM) and happily does tasks. :D Plus, I can use the Trackpoint scrolling everywhere, which is very fast and productive!

I had to manually install the drivers mentioned and it involved a lot of trial and error because it wasn't completely clear which drivers are the right ones. But now I do and would like to share for anyone else wanting it. For the fingerprint reader, the correct driver is Thinkvantage Fingerprint Software ("for Windows 8.1") version 6.0.0. For the Bluetooth, the driver was ThinkPad Bluetooth with Enhanced Data Rate v6.2 ("for Vista/Win7"). (note: if the setup claims the OS is unsupported, just ignore it). And finally, the Trackpoint driver, it's Synaptics ThinkPad Ultranav v19.0.17.140 - except that for this one, you'll have to install the driver from the Device Manager, by updating PS/2 Trackpoint, pointing to the extracted driver file, and choosing Synaptics Pointing Device. The webcam, SD card and Expresscard readers function out of the box. These drivers worked for me, but there could be a chance that they wouldn't for all X201 units if perhaps they have a different Bluetooth/Fingerprint unit inside.

I have now also upgraded to the new 22H2 version. On unsupported hardware like this you can't use the Installation Assistant because it detects the PC - instead, download the ISO image and run Setup from there, while using one of the many methods to allow updating on unsupported machines (I used the script Skip_TPM_Check_on_Dynamic_Update.cmd which you can find on GitHub). It runs great on 22H2 too, although I had to reinstall the correct Trackpoint driver mentioned above because without it I couldn't scroll in UWP apps. Additionally, I installed TP Middle 0.6 to get Trackpoint middle clicking, and it's working fine just as in Win 10.

I hope this is both informative and helpful :)

benlimanto

Re: Successfully using X201 with Windows 11 including working Fingerprint reader, Bluetooth, and Trackpoint scrolling!

#2 Post by benlimanto » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:01 pm

It's useful for me, anyway, what is the CPU temp your X201 when idle? Is it overheat or normal? Thank you
X220 with Win 10 21H2
i7-2640m, disabled Hyper Thread, Temp Drop on average 10*C
12gb RAM (enough for now, DDR3L)
480 Kingston OEM SSD
64gb Samsung SD Card
Recently rolled back to Windows 7 from Win 10 21H2. Sad

Then FEDORA 36. EL RULESSS :D