Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Installing Windows 8 on a X200 advice please.

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
teladoy
Sophomore Member

Installing Windows 8 on a X200 advice please.

#1 Post by teladoy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:58 pm

I am going to install Windows 8 on a X200 Tablet.
This machine have not Optical Drive what are yours suggestion using and External Drive or built a USB Pen Drive with a Booting Windows installation.
In any escenario I will need some detail advice do to my knowledge.
Thank you
Mac Mini 10.8, iPad First Generation Jailbroken, T61 10.5.8

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Installing Windows 8 on a X200 advice please.

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:16 pm

I installed Win 8 onto two machines recently. One was a X201 non tablet and the other was a X61 tablet.

The install on the X201 was pretty straight forward. The only thing I did special was install power manager in compatibility mode. In the end I decided that this machine is staying with Win 8.

On the X61 tablet, it was a little bit more buggy. Eventually I manage to get most everything working but I could not get the tablet keys working. Googling around there did not seem to be any solution to this. I got frustrated, gave up and reverted back to Win 7.

I found Win 8 did not have the drivers support as Win 7. This is understandable as Win 7 is much more mature. Typically a new Windows release don't get the bugs ironed out until 6 months to a year after release. We the consumer have the paying privilege of being the beta testers. Most people, like myself, hate Metro so we use Classic Shell. But give Metro a try, you might like it.

I used WinUsb Maker 1.8 to make a USB boot drive from the DVD. The Beta version of this program did not work for me.

http://download.cnet.com/WinUSB-Maker/3 ... 05122.html

teladoy
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by teladoy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Thank you Cigarguy. Yes great link I may even have time to wach formula 1 as well.
Mac Mini 10.8, iPad First Generation Jailbroken, T61 10.5.8

tim S

#4 Post by tim S » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:50 am

It maybe too late now but why not upgrade using the Internet upgrade path from Microsoft?
Saves a whole bunch of headaches, at least it did for me on my X200 tablet.

Tim S

Mister

#5 Post by Mister » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:15 am

I have an X201 tablet and after getting the windows8 image with purchase, I used the Windows 7 USB tool at http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss ... vd_dwnTool

Made a USB boot key, then selected that to boot for, after pressing the Thinkvantage button

On my first installation, I went to e lenovo site and downloaded all of the drivers, installing them one by one.

But then a later second install, all you need to do is install the Thinkpad Advantage, and it will download all of the necessary drivers, including fingerprint reader, hard button, hot keys, etc.

Good luck, if you haven't already installed it.

bretahrnek
Freshman Member

#6 Post by bretahrnek » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Mister wrote:I have an X201 tablet and after getting the windows8 image with purchase, I used the Windows 7 USB tool at http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss ... vd_dwnTool

Made a USB boot key, then selected that to boot for, after pressing the Thinkvantage button

On my first installation, I went to e lenovo site and downloaded all of the drivers, installing them one by one.

But then a later second install, all you need to do is install the Thinkpad Advantage, and it will download all of the necessary drivers, including fingerprint reader, hard button, hot keys, etc.

Good luck, if you haven't already installed it.
you can also do it yourself - easy with diskpart in command promt

##

diskpart
list disk
select disk ?
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=ntfs quick
exit

##
then go to mounted ISO and copy boot sector
##

C:\>e: ( where E: is Your ISO )

E:\>cd boot

E:\boot>bootsect /nt60 F: ( F: is USB stick )
Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.
Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes.

E:\boot>exit

##
then copy all files
##

xcopy e:\*.* f:\ /E /H /F

and that is it
mainly in use : X201.i5.8GB.**AFFS**.120GBVertex4.Intel6300.GOBI2000.NMD.Ultrabase.w7Pro64
other : T410s.i5.8GB.120GBVertex4.Intel6300.GOBI2000.NMD.w7Pro64
others : X60 | T43p.UXGA.sata | 600e | X300 | T61p
ex : Edge.11 | T60.UXGA.T9500

Bánh mì
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by Bánh mì » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:28 am

"In the end I decided that this machine is staying with Win 8."

You mean your x201? Other than boot up speed can you elab on the reasons why? Compare and contrast versus W7? Thanks in advance!!!
Có một ngày tuyệt vời!

birthdaymonkey

#8 Post by birthdaymonkey » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Bánh mì wrote:"In the end I decided that this machine is staying with Win 8."

You mean your x201? Other than boot up speed can you elab on the reasons why? Compare and contrast versus W7? Thanks in advance!!!
I'm running Win 8 on my X200s. I bought the machine used with Windows XP and immediately updated it to Windows 8. I had zero issues with the upgrade and the machine runs like a dream. Almost all of the drivers just worked on install and I feel no need to install additional Lenovo bloat. Everything is very responsive--much better than Windows 7 was on the T60 that this machine replaced. I do use Start8 instead of the Metro start screen, mostly because I wanted to disable hot corners and the charms bar and boot to the desktop.