Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X200s Questions

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
LavaChild

X200s Questions

#1 Post by LavaChild » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:09 am

Hello,

I am considering purchasing an X200s. It is not in the best of state physically but it does have a 1440x900 screen and, according the the quick path, is WWAN upgradable. It's certainly enough to have my interest to begin with... But, some questions:

1) Does the WWAN upgradable mean that the only thing required to enable the feature is a WWAN card? If I purchased a Lenovo GOBI2000 (FRU 60Y3183) that is unlocked would this be all that I require? I wish to use the device in the UK. Do I need to 'whitelist' the entry in the BIOS?

2) On that note; what is the best BIOS for this model?

3) And speaking of all round upgrades - In the first MiniPCI Express slot will be the Wireless, in the second the WWAN. What can I put in the third to make use of the full functionality? I intend to pop in an SSD and use Linux. Both of these rule the Intel Turbo Memory out. What else could I use in this final Express slot? I was thinking about a Wireless USB (UWB). These are cheap. Would this work OK in an X200s? Is it okay in the UK? And will I definitely already have the antenna needed for the UWB fitted in the chasis? Again, would this require a whitelist or will it work out of the box? (Not sure UWB was even a factory option on the X200s so maybe it will not be white listed?). If you have a better idea of what to do with that spare MiniPCI Express slot I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks.

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: X200s Questions

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:15 am

So what do you plan/need this laptop for? Seems like the purpose is to fill in every hole and/or slot this thing has but for what end? For example, most people don't need a WWAN 3G/4G card because 1) wireless a/b/g/n is readily available and 2) the extra monthly cost for maintaining another sim card. If you live in the country side or have a company that will pay the bills for you, that's a different story.

LavaChild

#3 Post by LavaChild » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:36 am

Cigarguy wrote:So what do you plan/need this laptop for? Seems like the purpose is to fill in every hole and/or slot this thing has but for what end? For example, most people don't need a WWAN 3G/4G card because 1) wireless a/b/g/n is readily available and 2) the extra monthly cost for maintaining another sim card. If you live in the country side or have a company that will pay the bills for you, that's a different story.
Thank for your message. The reason is simple; the device would be a bit of a project and 'just because'. I know it is no good reason! I would like the WWAN card to try the GPS functionality. Additionally, it might be usetime from time to time to use data. Finally, if the device is 'WWAN upgradable' and it's only a small number of $$$ (less than 20GBP from my quick searches) to find an unlocked WWAN card... Seems worth trying it.

And, while I was looking for the WWAN card I noticed the a UWB card (from eBay US) was less than 5GBP, so again while I am opening the machine up it seems (again, assuming it has all required gear such as antenna; see my question in the OP) I 'may as well' pop one in. Why not? :)

twistero

#4 Post by twistero » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 pm

Well, do you have any Wireless USB device? Do you know anyone that has one? Have you ever seen one? Have you ever heard of "Wireless USB" at all before stumbling upon it? :roll: The point is, a wireless USB card will do absolutely nothing for you except possibly lighting up an LED or shortening the battery life.

There are a few useful things you can possibly do with the 3rd slot, though. (Since the 3rd slot in a stock configuration may be filled with either Turbo Memory or Wireless USB, I am assuming that it has both PCIe and USB lanes implemented.)

PM3E + wireless mouse receiver = a fully integrated wireless mouse receiver. Saves one external USB port for other use.
MR15 + microSD cards = extra storage space.
Broadcom Crystal HD decoder card = hardware-accelerated decoding for HD video. Not sure how well supported it is under Linux, though.
X60 tablet 6363-P3U, 3GB ram, 128GB SanDisk Extreme SSD, SXGA+ screen, Intel 6300
T61 Frankenpad in 15 inch T60 body, UXGA LED-lit AFFS LCD, T9300, 6GB RAM, NVidia NVS140m, Intel 6205, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, 1TB HGST HDD + eBay caddy in Ultrabay
701c butterfly, 75MHz 486DX4, 40MB ram, 1GB CF card

LavaChild

#5 Post by LavaChild » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Hello!

Thank you very much for your very useful reply. To answer your questions: Yes I genuinely do have a want (and need) for WWAN. No I do not have a need for UWB it was simply that (because of the low price) I thought about populating the final slot - With the only 'factory' option of Turbo Memory or Wireless USB and the former not supported under Linux Wireless USB it was! However, from your recommendations some seem better options (indeed, while aware of UWB I do not have any devices); The USB option is okay but I have no real use, the MicroSD card is a nice idea and the Broadcom card is very interesting but ultimately unlikely to benefit me much (despite Linux support).

So, if I could please repose the questions that I still have. I appreciate some of these may not make a logical sense however I would appreciate an answer to the question rather than opinion of whether there is actual merit in the proposals. Thank you! :)

1) Does the WWAN upgradable mean that the only thing required to enable the feature is a WWAN card? If I purchased a Lenovo GOBI2000 (FRU 60Y3183) that is unlocked would this be all that I require? I wish to use the device in the UK. Do I need to 'whitelist' the entry in the BIOS?

2) What is the best (read, whitelist removed) BIOS? Ideally I would like one based on the latest Lenovo version. I have been unable to find a 'recommended' image (it seems, for example, that T6x are constantly recommended to use Middleton, where as for the X200s I cannot find an overwhelming recommendation one way or the other).

3) Regarding UWB: Is it okay in the UK? And will I definitely already have the antenna needed for the UWB fitted in the chasis? Again, would this require a whitelist or will it work out of the box? (Not sure UWB was even a factory option on the X200s so maybe it will not be white listed?).

4) Will the devices recommended above (particularly the MicroSD card reader) require a whitelisted BIOS? Again, referring to question (2) above; where is the best place to source a suitable BIOS image?

Again, thank you very much for all of your useful replies so far and I look forward to hearing from you further.

twistero

#6 Post by twistero » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:53 pm

1. AFAIK "WWAN upgradable" means you only need the WWAN card, everything else is in place. Check the X200s Hardware Maintenance Manual to see whether the FRU number of your desired card is listed in the available FRUs; if it is, then it is a whitelisted card and you can use it without a hacked BIOS.

2. The go-to place for ThinkPad modded BIOS is http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... y-Thinkpad . The original links on the first page do not work anymore, but you can usually find the correct files by putting the filename in Google. If all else fails, you could request a mod there too.

3. I have no idea about regulation of Wireless USB in the UK. The only X200s I've ever worked on does NOT have UWB antennas, so it would be a safe assumption that not all X200s have them.

4. Most likely.

Oh, and is Wireless USB supported under Linux?
X60 tablet 6363-P3U, 3GB ram, 128GB SanDisk Extreme SSD, SXGA+ screen, Intel 6300
T61 Frankenpad in 15 inch T60 body, UXGA LED-lit AFFS LCD, T9300, 6GB RAM, NVidia NVS140m, Intel 6205, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, 1TB HGST HDD + eBay caddy in Ultrabay
701c butterfly, 75MHz 486DX4, 40MB ram, 1GB CF card