It is just a matter of replacing the LCD ribbon cable? Is replacing this cable any more difficult than on the T400 which I did years ago? (OEM cable had a bad connection that was causing lines in the LCD screen)
Would it be fair to ask the seller for $50 credit to replace the cable and my time to do it?
- Posts: 10137
- Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:26 am
- Location: San Jose, CA 95120 USA
- the actual Thinklight LED is burned out or disconnected from the ribbon cable
- the ribbon cable has a tear in it (that only affects the light and nothing else; I'm assuming that this is the only LCD-related problem you are seeing)
- the connector at the end of the LCD ribbon cable and/or the matching connector on the motherboard is defective/dirty
- the transistor that switches the LED on and off is defective
- the power (5V) that drives the LED is absent (open resistor)
- the control signal from the Embedded Controller that drives the transistor is disconnected
- the firmware in the Embedded Controller is at fault
- the keyboard's Fn and/or PgUp key is defective
Simple attempts at fixing the issue would be to re-seat the LCD ribbon cable on the motherboard (taking a good look at pins 37 and 39 on both connectors). If it were me I'd also try testing the LED using a multimeter that can test a diode. As far as it being harder to remove the X201 LCD cable than the T400, I wouldn't know as I've never done either. I'd say that it does require that you remove the panel from the lid. Grab a copy of the Hardware Maintenance Manual if you don't already have it (see the HMM link at the top of this page).
Concerning getting a "rebate" from the seller; $50 seems kind of high unless you paid over $400 for it.
X22 X24 X31 X41 X41T X60 X60s X61 X61s X200 X200s X300 X301 Z60m Z61t Z61p 560 560Z 600 600E 600X T21 T22 T23 T41 T60p T410 T420 T520 W500 W520 R50 A21p A22p A31 A31p
NOTE: All links to PC-Doctor software hosted by me are dead. Files removed 8/28/12 by manufacturer's demand.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests