Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X201, Windows 10, GPS

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
Billaboard
Freshman Member

X201, Windows 10, GPS

#1 Post by Billaboard » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:18 pm

I have a pair of x201's with Qualcomm WWAN inside. One is on Windows 7 and consistently OK.
T
he other is on an "Insider" login that, when it got to the released build, I set to use a local login and switched off the insider builds. It now seems to be getting all the normal W10 updates, but not the new builds that should have appeared as part of a standard installation. I have updated it to the last build, though and it looks normal.

I am not using the WWAN as such on either machine, but have been testing and using the GPS feature.

The W10 machine was similar to the W7 machine at first, with the GPS options appearing via Control Panel. However, following some recent updates, the GPS area has disappeared from Control Panel, although I can still start it by digging into the file system and finding the executable. My shortcut on the desktop has also disappeared.

I wonder if anyone else has used GPS on a W10 machine and noticed the same?

Billaboard
Freshman Member

Re: X201, Windows 10, GPS

#2 Post by Billaboard » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:40 pm

It looks as though I'm the only person trying this, but I seem to have discovered that when the machine recovers from "Sleep", and other Bluetooth devices have been used that also allocate Com ports, at least two things are allocated to the same Com port.

So, having yesterday had Com Ports 4,5,6 and 7 allocated to the Gobi2000 and an OBD2 vehicle diagnostic bluetooth device, today I seem to have the OBD2 still on 6 and 7, but the Gobi assigned just to port 7.

A full restart cures brings the ports back to normality.

I'm not sure whether I have another machine on, say, Win7, that has both BT and GPS to test. I also have only just thought that I haven't tested whether a normal "Shutdown", which of course is not a complete shutdown, recovers the situation.

Scrotus Lavy

Re: X201, Windows 10, GPS

#3 Post by Scrotus Lavy » Sat May 19, 2018 7:10 pm

I have a Win 10 Edge e130, recently got a gobi 2000
it is installed under com 4 and 5
WWAN mobile broadband, that is all I got
GPS is not to be found nowhere, except in the installation folder
However, starting it, it does not work
also, no sensors are found in device manager
I also have not whitelisted my bios settings, as I thought the original Qualcomm module would have not given problems, but
not it is increasing the beliefs that it won't work at all

For curiosity, what files were you referring to?
Could you give me some more information?
In theory the drivers for both my Thinkpad edge e130 and the x201 are the same for the gobi2000
:evil: