Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Switching Between Speakers & Earphones

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
Du@lB00t$

Switching Between Speakers & Earphones

#1 Post by Du@lB00t$ » Wed May 11, 2016 8:13 pm

On my X220, I can get sound from either earphones OR speakers, but to switch between these playback devices, I have to go into the sound settings each time and manually select the one to which I wish to switch. It should be automatic upon inserting or removing the earphones, but it isn't. One earlier post suggested that the actual switch in the earphone jack may not be making a good electrical contact and thus there's no signal to switch output to or from the earphones. Maybe so...I haven't studied the schematic sufficiently to convince myself that this could be the problem, but I'm open to suggestions before I go trying to pop the hood and do a direct visualization. Thoughts, please? Thanks.

EDIT: In the Sound Playback settings, I have the earphones set as the DEFAULT, and the internal speakers show READY. Unplugging the earphones, however, changes nothing. Sound continues to be directed to the earphones, even though unplugged (moving the volume control up/down shows activity in the earphones "meter" in the settings. If I set the SPEAKERS to default and plug in the EARPHONES, sound continues to route through the SPEAKERS whereas the EARPHONES continue to show as READY.

Radioguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Switching Between Speakers & Earphones

#2 Post by Radioguy » Wed May 11, 2016 10:13 pm

This is a whole new experience for me as well. I only noticed this happening when I switched to Windows 10 on my X301.

If I have a media file playing in VLC and I insert headphones, the switch turns off the speakers, but doesn't drive the headphones.

That's because the headphones are not registered as an OS device in device manager until they are plugged in. That means they don't exist to VLC if VLC is started before they are inserted. VLC doesn't recognize plug and play on the go, so I have to kill it and restart it to recognize headphones.

I can watch this happen when I have device manager open and see headphones appear and disappear before my eyes.
  • T61 - 6465CTO - T9500 - 15.4" LG WSXGA+ - 8GB OCZ- 120GB EVO 850 SSD - X3100 - Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    X301 - 2774W8Q - U9400 - 13.3" BOEHYDIS WXGA - 8GB Elpida - 128GB C400 mSATA SSD - 4500MHD - Win 10 Pro 64-Bit

Du@lB00t$

#3 Post by Du@lB00t$ » Thu May 12, 2016 6:42 am

So, is there no way to make this work as expected? My E220s didn't have this problem with W10, so I don't think it's (only) an OS version matter.

evening_hunger

#4 Post by evening_hunger » Thu May 12, 2016 7:59 am

Why don't you try to exclude the hardware fault by checking it with a different OS? Get some Ubuntu (or other live linux) image on a usb-stick, boot the machine off it. You'll have a session with another system where you will be able to test the sound issue. As you probably know, live distributions of Linux don't touch your hdd so nothing will be altered in the machine.
I would never advocate such a solution if not for the fact that I'd seen Windows 7 machines behaving exactly like that. They were stock HP desktops, all of them identical, some had it other didn't while having exact same hardware specs. So, Windows can do miracles...
x320/i7-2620M/8GB/256gb.ssd/FHD13.3''IPS/debian_testing (main driver)
x230/i5/8GB/500gb.hdd+256gb.m2ssd/IPS/debian_stable+win7 (better half)

Radioguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Radioguy » Thu May 12, 2016 1:48 pm

I really happen to think this is an issue with the hardware design and/or the driver.

I'd love to hear from someone who has an X301 who has found a way to deal with this.
  • T61 - 6465CTO - T9500 - 15.4" LG WSXGA+ - 8GB OCZ- 120GB EVO 850 SSD - X3100 - Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    X301 - 2774W8Q - U9400 - 13.3" BOEHYDIS WXGA - 8GB Elpida - 128GB C400 mSATA SSD - 4500MHD - Win 10 Pro 64-Bit

Du@lB00t$

#6 Post by Du@lB00t$ » Thu May 12, 2016 9:07 pm

evening_hunger wrote:try to exclude the hardware fault by checking it with a different OS? Get some Ubuntu
Well, well. Good idea. Thanks. All is fine when I boot to Ubuntu. So, at least we know it's not my hardware. I think there are some TP-specific drivers that I need. Thought I'd grabbed them all, but now I suspect not. After doing the upgrade from W7 to W10, I then did a clean reinstall of W10, and that may be the core of the problem. My audio drivers are MSFT...now to search for what I need. I also noticed that my special function keys are all unresponsive as well.

LATER...I installed the W7 Conexant audio driver, and the problem is cured. NOW, to see if I can get my special function keys working. They are all dead at present. Not sure how to do that yet.