Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[Question] X220 Tablet - Digitizer (Only) Replacement

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
CableTied

[Question] X220 Tablet - Digitizer (Only) Replacement

#1 Post by CableTied » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:58 am

EDIT: Sorry to make my first post in the forum a mere question--I had trouble finding any results via Google and the forum search.

I bought some X220 Tablets in hopes of refurbishing/upgrading (SSD+16GB RAM) them for quite a low price, and things have been going well. Unfortunately, two of the screens have major marks on them (especially at the bottom of the digitizer, where they typically get scratched up over time).
I bought some remarkably less-used digitizers, and I was wondering--how is the digitizer bonded to the LCD? Do I need to use some LOCA glue when I re-bond it? I have yet to dive in to check for myself, as I have only done phone screen separations before.

allann9

Re: [Question] X220 Tablet - Digitizer (Only) Replacement

#2 Post by allann9 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:59 pm

I recently bought some x220 tablets as well and only replaced the digitizer on one of them. The LCD and Digitizer is only held on with tape.

CableTied

#3 Post by CableTied » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:49 pm

allann9 wrote:I recently bought some x220 tablets as well and only replaced the digitizer on one of them. The LCD and Digitizer is only held on with tape.
Firstly, thanks for your response.
So I got my digitizers and separated the digitizer from the LCD on my first system. Everything seems to have gone back together extremely well (I used my own double-sided tape), and the cables on the back are completely together, but I cannot, whatsoever, get the system to work. The multitouch worked on ONE test before I put the entire screen assembly back together, and now the digitizer is not even being picked up by Windows.

Any advice on where to start troubleshooting? Can I order just-the-boards (edit: meaning the wacom boards on the back of the LCD)?

I have tried reseating everything a few times, and my half-assembled attempts to boot will sometimes give me an on-boot "thermal sensor error" that refuses to boot--not sure if this is related at all, but I do not have the entire thing back together before I do the testing.

scragnoth

#4 Post by scragnoth » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm new to this forum and use (and love) my X220 Tablet with Touchscreen, IPS panel and i7 processor since 2014.

Unfortunately, yesterday, I managed do break the digitizer glass, leaving (fortunately) the panel itself intact. I had to de-activate the touchscreen though since it treated inputs at the top of the screen while I didn't touch it in that point, closing my browser tabs etc.... So far, so "good" I'm using a small LED backlit LCD TV (the difference in color rendition to that gorgeous IPS panel is kinda frightening to say the least) as an external monitor for the time being.

Looking thorough offers for replacement parts, I didn't manage to find any digitizer glasses as replacement parts. Okay, there was one offer for the ridiculous amount of $600 I think.
Since the glass of my screen wasn't the best condition since I bought the machine used in 2014, I at least don't consider it a great loss - if I manage to find the replacement part.

So, where can I get it for a reasonable price? Another route would be to buy an otherwise faulty machine, but finding IPS and finger touch capability would be a nightmare. And then I most likely won't have a glass that doesn't have scratches and / or the common marks from the keyboard keys and the trackpoint...

Bruce Guttman

#5 Post by Bruce Guttman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:25 pm

Scragnoth: I had an X220 that had a broken digitizer as well. Worked with the pen (!) and touch in some places. I found an X220i with a fan error on Ebay and just appropriated the screen. Now it works great.

I have another that I'm a little confused about. When I start it up the screen image "breaks up" like there is a bad connection with the Planar. Eventually I can get the thing to stabilize by warping the display (royal PITA). I'm just trying to figure out how to take the digitizer off the second display and put it on the good LCD with the cracked digitizer.
Bruce Guttman

Current stable: 770Z, 600X, T23, R40, R52, T43p, X41, R60, T60, T61, X61, X61T, X201T, T420; T400 (2768-EK9); W510 (4391-CTO), X220T (4296-2W5), T440 (20B6-00AUS), plus an Intellistation M 6219.
New Project: Making X220 work with WWAN.