X220 with bizarre sleeping problem

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
Kalico

X220 with bizarre sleeping problem

#1 Post by Kalico » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:10 pm

So I have a refurbished X220 (running Windows 10) that has recently developed a major problem where the laptop goes to sleep on its own accord, then immediately wakes back up again, then immediately goes back to sleep again. This just repeats continuously without me being able to do anything about it. When turning on the laptop this problem manifests as the screen rapidly blinking on and off multiple times a second (so it looks like the sort of thing that would cause a seizure in someone with epilepsy). The laptop can still turn on, but will settle into the sleep/wake cycle once it finishes. Once the laptop gets stuck in this cycle the only thing I can do is shut off completely via the power button (occasionally it will just stop after a while, but that's rare).
The problem doesn't always occur, though, so I am able to use the laptop at least a little bit, and have been trying to apply fixes. It also seems like if I leave the laptop alone for a while it's more likely to work (so maybe the issue has something to do with it overheating?). I'm not that computer savvy but I have tried a lot of different fixes which I've found by searching the internet. Putting the laptop on the power saver power plan seems to reduce the frequency of the problem, so I think the issue might have something to do with power usage. I tried updating the drivers for the batteries and display adapters, but they were apparently already up to date. There is a driver for the 'base system device' which is apparently missing, I don't known if that could matter. I've gone into Event Viewer to try to identify what's going on, but that didn't provide me any information that was ultimately of any use.
Most recently I've simply refreshed Windows 10 entirely. But aside from losing all my downloaded apps, that did nothing at all. I haven't been able to find any examples of anyone with this exact problem anywhere on the internet. Similar issues, but nothing exactly like this. So now I'm lost and don't know what to do.

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

Re: X220 with bizarre sleeping problem

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:55 pm

X220 is not on the list of W10-supported machines: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103535
The 'earliest' one is the X230.
Try W7 or Linux instead.
W7 is good for another 4 years or so, and Linux well beyond that.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

rjwilmsi
Freshman Member

Re: X220 with bizarre sleeping problem

#3 Post by rjwilmsi » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:16 am

The first thing I would do is set up a Linux live USB image on a flash drive and boot from that, see if issue occurs there. You want to try to establish whether it is a hardware issue or just a Windows 10/drivers software issue.

One related issue I did have with one of my X220 machines. After replacing screen I had an issue that the machine would lock itself (i.e. go to password lock screen) randomly. I had it configured (linux) to lock the screen when the lid was closed, and the lid closing sensor above the screen near the webcam had a hair over it, so the sensor was getting false positives for lid closure. So it's possible, depending on your settings, that you have a similar issue.