X201T no power up after CPU repaste

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
eidam655

X201T no power up after CPU repaste

#1 Post by eidam655 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:58 am

Hello,

I am an owner of an X200T from 2009. Three years ago I swapped in an X201T motherboard with the i7-640LM CPU.

Few days ago I decided to look into the laptop again, as I have noticed one CPU core running 15°C hotter than the other one. (The computer is used as a media pc and rarely turned on). After I found out I put the thermal paste on the CPU wrong the last time (shame on me), I decided to quickly check the temperature difference in Windows.

However what I forgot about was the HDD - I didn't plug it in, and as the computer was trying to go through some kind of basic boot-up process (white text on black screen), I just pulled the plug out to put the HDD in.

This is where the trouble started - after I put it all back together, the computer does not power up at all - not when the AC jack is plugged in, not when I try to start it with a battery. Even after I tried the power drain (hold the power button down for a minute, or in other sequences) and reinstalled the board after a couple of days (when the power should have already been drained) I am still out of luck.

It seems like the problem is indeed with the motherboard / CPU - because when I put in the old X200T motherboard, everything works as it should (and thanks to Win10 that finds its own drivers I didn't even have to reinstall anything).

SO it looks like there is something wrong with the motherboard. Does anyone have any idea, what could be the problem? How would I go about diagnosing faulty components? What am I looking for?

Thanks for any answers and tips.

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

Re: X201T no power up after CPU repaste

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:28 am

Guess you'll need to start with checking every fuse you can find.
Most likely you blew something when you unceremoniously pulled the plug (literally)!
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

eidam655

Re: X201T no power up after CPU repaste

#3 Post by eidam655 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:57 pm

oh well.

It looks like the motherboard is just a boss too big for me. I even bought a multimeter, checked fuses F1 through F10 (I couldn't find the F11) and they all tested OK. I got myself a schematic diagram of the board, thinking I could maybe trace the current and find at least some fault, but the first chip that's in the PDF is different than mine (mine's listed as an alternative, but not drawn out)... And at this point I'm woefully underqualified for this diagnostics .)

So it looks like I have to put in the old one and in time say goodbye to this motherboard. The laptop is old anyway and should still be fine for some 720p movies or streaming, I just didn't imagine it would end like this.

If anyone has any more ideas what (and most importantly, how :D) I could try to resurrect the mobo, I'm all ears.