Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

where to get Bios dump to revert Coreboot install on X220?

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
cherryblue

where to get Bios dump to revert Coreboot install on X220?

#1 Post by cherryblue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:14 am

I purchased a X220 motherboard with Coreboot, but I'm unable to run windows on this board.
I found a VGA Biosfile and I am able to compile Coreboot and flash it via a RaspberyPI and an adapter clamp.

Linux and X11 are running fine on this board. I even could get Windows 7 to boot 2 times (out of dozen attempts). So the Hardware is in perfect condition.
But most of the time, while booting Windows the board just stalls after the Windows7 boot animation, or it is showing the Windows loading progress bar animation for hours(!).

So I decided to go back to normal Bios to get this board in a more usable state.

Is this possible without having a backup of the original Bios?
Is there maybe a Bios dump available which I could download and flash onto the chip?

Ryccardo

Re: where to get Bios dump to revert Coreboot install on X220?

#2 Post by Ryccardo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:30 pm

cherryblue wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:14 am
Is there maybe a Bios dump available which I could download and flash onto the chip?
The simplest option by a long shot (considering the relatively large popularity of coreboot for your PC) is indeed flashing someone else's backup (editing the ethernet MAC address back to yours if you care) -

or, since coreboot only edits the BIOS part of the full rom AFAIK and you have a known working hardware flasher, it could be possible to manually paste the .FL1 bios image at the right address of the full image - if the FL1 isn't a compressed or encrypted format, at least!
X201 (i5, 8GB, 480GB)
T61 (T7500, 4GB, 500GB, DVD-RW) + Advanced Mini Dock

cherryblue

#3 Post by cherryblue » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:35 am

Ryccardo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:30 pm
The simplest option by a long shot (considering the relatively large popularity of coreboot for your PC) is indeed flashing someone else's backup (editing the ethernet MAC address back to yours if you care) -
I agree with you there, but I am unable to find an SPI dump.
I could find an X230 SPI dump, but this does not help. :(
Ryccardo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:30 pm
or, since coreboot only edits the BIOS part of the full rom AFAIK and you have a known working hardware flasher, it could be possible to manually paste the .FL1 bios image at the right address of the full image - if the FL1 isn't a compressed or encrypted format, at least!
This seems to be not possible because I'm unable to extract the bios from the FL1 file. The FL1 seems to be no simple UEFI container.
Could this be?

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:02 am

Since T430/T530/X230 the BIOS is no longer accessible without any SPI.
Only the EC is, but that's not enough.
Also, your title says you're looking for X220, so why bother with a (totally different) X230 dump?
If you need extensive changes in your X220 BIOS, look at McDonnell's stuff: http://x220.mcdonnelltech.com/resources/
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

cherryblue

#5 Post by cherryblue » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:34 pm

That is true I want to flash a X220 Bios.
Since this device can't boot Windows, I can't use the standard Bios update utility.
I'm unable to extract a Bios dump from official or unoffical X220 Bios update (*.FL1).

But, I could flash this Bios via RaspberryPi and flashrom, for this I would need a Bios dump.
I could not yet find an X220 Bios dump on the net.
Could someone please provide me a X220 bios dump?

jal2

#6 Post by jal2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 pm

cherryblue wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:34 pm
But, I could flash this Bios via RaspberryPi and flashrom, for this I would need a Bios dump.
I could not yet find an X220 Bios dump on the net.
Could someone please provide me a X220 bios dump?
In case you haven't solved your problem yet, try these instructions for getting the BIOS part of the FL1 file. You should apply them to a BIOS version which came with the same EC firmware version, preferably to the last version you had on the X220 before flashing Coreboot.