Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x220t blank screen / reseating LCD cables - really need to remove kbd bezel?!

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
tarvoke

x220t blank screen / reseating LCD cables - really need to remove kbd bezel?!

#1 Post by tarvoke » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:15 am

so, a couple weeks ago, my x220t woke up from sleep and the screen was blank. not exactly a big surprise, linux has done this to me before on various thinkpads (although never this one) - rebooted, no BIOS screen no nothing although the backlight comes on.

- tried rebooting many times but still not even so much as BIOS screen. but backlight still comes on.

the machine boots fully into the OS to the point I can even SSH into it, so everything's working. and if I plug in an external screen, everything seems fine. so I imagine the intel HD graphics is (mostly? lol) functional.

- tried reseating RAM and doing the no-battery/no-AC and hold power button 30 seconds a couple times anyway, but no dice.

out of laziness/avoidance, I only just now / finally popped off the keyboard to look at the LCD cables. it sure as heck looks like I cannot unlatch / reseat the cables, without also removing the keyboard bezel? ugh, just more than I'm willing to do right now.

I guess my question is:
- a. really?
- 2. really??!?

and yeah, I should probably look into checking the cables inside the LCD bezel as well, I know :-(

thanks!
go away.

tarvoke

Re: x220t blank screen / reseating LCD cables - really need to remove kbd bezel?!

#2 Post by tarvoke » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:25 am

(oh, should have mentioned that when I had it on the external display, the display manager saw that there are 2 display ports but that one of the displays is not connected, so the hope/assumption is still that it is in fact the cables. just so odd since there hasn't been any trauma to the machine that I know of.)
go away.

BigT0ny

Re: x220t blank screen / reseating LCD cables - really need to remove kbd bezel?!

#3 Post by BigT0ny » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:28 am

It's not too difficult - it will be worth it when/if re-inserting the cable will fix your issue! :) Here's the X220T HMM: https://thinkpads.com/support/hmm/hmm_p ... 175_04.pdf
Goodbye T420 <3

tarvoke

#4 Post by tarvoke » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:00 am

BigT0ny wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:28 am
It's not too difficult - it will be worth it when/if re-inserting the cable will fix your issue! :) Here's the X220T HMM: https://thinkpads.com/support/hmm/hmm_p ... 175_04.pdf
thanks BigT0ny, yeah I do already have the HMM, and I know it sounds lazy but even taking off the kbd took the last of the mental energy I have right now lol. I'll try to suck it up and deal, but don't like the thought of having to undo the wifi wires.

ok - managed, but still no dice :-( could just be me, those connectors are so fiddly :-(
go away.

tarvoke

#5 Post by tarvoke » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:15 am

or... LOL! - wanted to boot it up again to SSH and install a couple different things to try to read/decode EDID and see if it thinks anything is there at all.

but this time...

BIOS screen OS etc. all came up normally??!? well that makes me feel so much better! the reason I'd been putting off messing with the cables was so much worry that it wouldn't fix it, and just 5 minutes ago that was the sinking feeling I had, but now the exact opposite :D

couple new odd faint bright small backlight-y splotches on the bottom of the screen possibly because I was cursing whilst using excess pressure trying to reinstall/click the LCD bottom bezel after taking a look inside there (holy-wow, that thing is a pain to remove but an even huger pain to click back in)

so, yay.
go away.