Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X220 random power off fault, both in use and asleep

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
dave9

X220 random power off fault, both in use and asleep

#1 Post by dave9 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:07 am

I have an X220 4290 latop with Windows 10 which has worked perfectly for a long time.
In the last week it has started switching off randomly between zero and four times a day.
This happens both when in use, and when asleep, and on both battery and mains power.

By "switching off" I mean instant power off (as if you had pulled the battery out while running on battery power). There is nothing written to the windows event log.
It stays off until I press the power button, then it reboots normally and works perfectly, and writes a 'critical' in the event log says it rebooted without a clean shutdown so may have crashed etc. There are no error messages or any other sign of a problem.

When I close the lid it goes to sleep and the moon symbol on the lid lights up. If the fault occurs while sleeping, the moon light has gone off when I return to the machine and it then reboots when I open the lid (or restores from hibernation, since I've now enabled hybrid sleep as a workaround). Leaving it plugged in while sleeping doesn't help.

I have "reset" Windows and run Lenovo System Update, which found a few drivers to update. However since the problem also happens when the laptop is asleep I doubt it's a software problem??

It doesn't appear to be a battery problem since fault occurs on both battery and mains power. The battery works fine and is not drained after the fault.

I wondered if it could be an overheating problem, but when sleeping the laptop is cold and the fault occurs, so not that.

Thanks for any advice.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X220 random power off fault, both in use and asleep

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:53 am

Welcome to the Forum.

I think the battery is giving out to you.
Have you tried with only AC and battery removed?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by axur-delmeria » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:19 am

Does the problem occur when on AC power, with no battery installed?

If yes, it might be a board issue. My sister had an X220 with a similar random shutdown issue, that's why it's now just a source of spare parts for the other, still-running X220s. :(
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

dave9

#4 Post by dave9 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks both for your replies and suggestion. No, I have not tried AC-only without a battery fitted. I will try that over the next couple of days and get back to you...

dave9

#5 Post by dave9 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:28 am

Bad news - my fault DOES occur on mains power with no battery in machine. So it's not the battery.

So I guess I'm now looking for a good UK supplier to get another second hand Thinkpad (any recommendations welcome)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:01 am

In that case a replacement X220 motherboard comes to mind, much cheaper.
If you get one with i7 CPU, you'd also get USB3.0.
Saw this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253443485762

RoamingAndy

#7 Post by RoamingAndy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:50 pm

you could try removing the RAM chips, giving a little clean and putting them back in. its easy as pie, and if one if not connected well it will cause the laptop to randomly cut out. also run a RAM test to see if one is faulty. i've never had that happen to me so i'm not sure the symptoms, they might be the same.

vulpes

#8 Post by vulpes » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:07 am

Hi everybody, my first post here. :D

I had a similar problem on my X230. It would poweroff on its own after minutes of use. Re-seating the wifi card and cleaning contacts with alcohol fixed the problem and it has been going strong for over a year. Since the card is located under the palm rest, it shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to try it out. Good luck!