Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
Post Reply
Message
Author
whqdz
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: Belgium, Brussels

9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#1 Post by whqdz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:48 am

Hi,

These two past weeks I receipt two new batteries that I bought on ebay, both of them are 9 cell, with the same Wh, and genuine brand new, with 0 cycle at the beginning.

I bought it from two different sellers on ebay: one from an IT pro shop located in US, the other one from a local IT shop at China.
The battery from US has been manufactured by Sanyo (panasonic), and the one from China by Sony.

I did many different tests, setting up tlp on my linux, disabled turbo boost. My daily use of the x201 is using a text editor for code, and terminal for compiling / executing. Sometimes browsing when I need infos.

Since these 2 past weeks, I noticed a huge difference (I did many many tests): the sanyo gives to me 12-13hours of battery life ( :bow: ), the sony one gives to me around 8-10.

With powerstat, the sony is around 8-9Wh on idle, but the sanyo is around 7-8Wh.

Do you know what can be the difference between them? Except the fact that one is from sanyo and the other one from sony.

8-10 (vs) 12-13 is a really big difference, i'm really curious to know what can be hide behind this.

Thanks.

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin
Posts: 19384
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 am
Location: Mt. Cobb, PA
Contact:

Re: 9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:57 am

Panasonic (bought by Sanyo) has always been known for superior batteries, nothing new there.
I guess they just use better cells, but also may have better electronics to control 'life'.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

whqdz
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: Belgium, Brussels

Re: 9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#3 Post by whqdz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks for your quick reply :)

Good to know, I had no knowledges about that, even if I was suspecting a different kind of building process about the batteries.

20$ for the sanyo, 30€ for the sony.

I already know to who my money is going to go now eheh

zoltan87
Freshman Member
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:16 pm
Location: Plymouth, United Kingdom

Re: 9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#4 Post by zoltan87 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:27 am

I don't want to look dumb here, so if I am missing something then let me know, but do you mean you get 12 HOURS of battery life on a ThinkPad X200?? Because to me that is completely unheard. I bought a couple of these laptops for my parents a few years ago, but the most they would get on battery was 3, maybe 4 hours.
Laptops after the 4:3 aspect ratio era are non-existent to me.

shawross
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:48 am
Location: Perth Aus / Thailand

Re: 9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#5 Post by shawross » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Actually I think he has a X201 but he is using extreme methods to prolong battery life and I don't think he is doing anything graphically intensive.

Extreme methods are probably throttling the CPU to maybe 30% , decreasing screen brightness and switching off WIFI if you are not on the internet.

Your parents obviously weren't using these techniques and probably didn't have brand new batteries.
Active --- Love the X series
X301 SU9400 IDA Mod - W 7 / X201 540M - W 7 / X220 2520 - W7

Nostalgia
X61 T7500 / T41 T42 T43 / A31

Rogue daily driver - Samsung RV511 15.6 " Screen - W 7

madicetea
Sophomore Member
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:59 am
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN

Re: 9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#6 Post by madicetea » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:27 am

whqdz wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:48 am
Hi,

These two past weeks I receipt two new batteries that I bought on ebay, both of them are 9 cell, with the same Wh, and genuine brand new, with 0 cycle at the beginning.

I bought it from two different sellers on ebay: one from an IT pro shop located in US, the other one from a local IT shop at China.
The battery from US has been manufactured by Sanyo (panasonic), and the one from China by Sony.

I did many different tests, setting up tlp on my linux, disabled turbo boost. My daily use of the x201 is using a text editor for code, and terminal for compiling / executing. Sometimes browsing when I need infos.

Since these 2 past weeks, I noticed a huge difference (I did many many tests): the sanyo gives to me 12-13hours of battery life ( :bow: ), the sony one gives to me around 8-10.

With powerstat, the sony is around 8-9Wh on idle, but the sanyo is around 7-8Wh.

Do you know what can be the difference between them? Except the fact that one is from sanyo and the other one from sony.

8-10 (vs) 12-13 is a really big difference, i'm really curious to know what can be hide behind this.

Thanks.
I actually have two batteries 9-cell (one at 90% life and the other at 85% life and I've been doing some tests to see how long they can be used / will need to charge on (so far) only the 65W AC Adapter.

I'll report back on my results when I am done.
Greetings from Tokyo,
MadIceTea
, IBM Thinkpad Enthusiast

Daily Driver Thinkpads: X250 16gb, X61 T9500 SXGA+
Under Construction: PC110
Occasional Use: x2001 AFFS i5-530 (in my lab) , piano black s30
For Sale: X250 16gb FHD IPS Japanese kb, X250 WXGA Lid, batteries, DDR2/3 RAM

elray
Sophomore Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: 9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#7 Post by elray » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:21 am

whqdz wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:08 am

Good to know, I had no knowledges about that, even if I was suspecting a different kind of building process about the batteries.

20$ for the sanyo, 30€ for the sony.

I already know to who my money is going to go now eheh
But we don't :-?

Would you kindly share with us?
X200s, Vista Business 64

jdrou
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 631
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: Madison Heights, MI

Re: 9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#8 Post by jdrou » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:08 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:57 am
Panasonic (bought by Sanyo)
Other way around:
"On December 21, 2009, Panasonic completed a 400 billion yen ($4.5 billion) acquisition of a 50.2% stake in Sanyo, making Sanyo a subsidiary of Panasonic.[3][4] In 2011, Sanyo became a wholly owned subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation."
Hence Sanyo's excellent 'Eneloop' NiMH batteries are now Panasonic-branded.
Current Thinkpads:
X31, X40, X61T, X61, X201, X220 (i7 IPS), W520 (2720QM/2000M/FHD), T440p (i7-4800MQ/GF730GT/FHD)
Dells: Latitude C840, Precision M70, Precision M4400, M6400 (WUXGA), M6600, M6700
Daily driver: Dell XPS 13 w/Kaby Lake+Iris Pro+TB3

whqdz
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: Belgium, Brussels

Re: 9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#9 Post by whqdz » Wed May 02, 2018 3:26 pm

elray wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:21 am
whqdz wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:08 am

Good to know, I had no knowledges about that, even if I was suspecting a different kind of building process about the batteries.

20$ for the sanyo, 30€ for the sony.

I already know to who my money is going to go now eheh
But we don't :-?

Would you kindly share with us?
I don't get about what you are talking about, can you explain the question?

whqdz
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: Belgium, Brussels

Re: 9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#10 Post by whqdz » Wed May 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Sorry for late answer.
zoltan87 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:27 am
I don't want to look dumb here, so if I am missing something then let me know, but do you mean you get 12 HOURS of battery life on a ThinkPad X200?? Because to me that is completely unheard. I bought a couple of these laptops for my parents a few years ago, but the most they would get on battery was 3, maybe 4 hours.
Yup it's right, but with a x201 and not a x200, and a 9cell battery from SANYO.
I have another 9cell battery, with around 10 cycles, from Sony, and it lasts between 8-10hours.
shawross wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:42 pm
Actually I think he has a X201 but he is using extreme methods to prolong battery life and I don't think he is doing anything graphically intensive.

Extreme methods are probably throttling the CPU to maybe 30% , decreasing screen brightness and switching off WIFI if you are not on the internet.

Your parents obviously weren't using these techniques and probably didn't have brand new batteries.
Shawross is right. According to some help that I found on the web and the forum, I've set-up my x201 depending on my needs.

It runs on a linux mint MATE (XFCE = more light but I like mate features that are not as loud as KDE or Cinnamon), with TLP (turboboost turned off, max cpu frequency blocked on 2,1Ghz).
The brightness is at 30-40% most of the time, sometimes 20% when i'm in the darkness.

The main use is : some tabs on firefox(sometimes), text editor (sublime text), and terminal (for compiling / executing). Wifi is always on, bluetooth off.
I've blocked some start-up services I don't use like the printer manager etc. (it's easy to do it from a specific menu).

If I want an IDE, or hosting a server for database etc. I use my t430s or my desktop computer.

It's a really lightweight use, that's the reason why I wanted a laptop like the x201.
Icewobs wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:27 am
I actually have two batteries 9-cell (one at 90% life and the other at 85% life and I've been doing some tests to see how long they can be used / will need to charge on (so far) only the 65W AC Adapter.

I'll report back on my results when I am done.
My sanyo one is 105% of life and the sony is 97%. It could be nice to compare some results. Which brand are your batteries?

If someone is interesting, I can post some results too, just need to keep it in memory when I'm using the x201 :)

TPFanatic
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1085
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:29 pm
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

Re: 9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#11 Post by TPFanatic » Wed May 02, 2018 9:29 pm

I did buy a NOS Panasonic X201 batt for my X201 that ended up showing in Power Manager as a Sanyo, but from reading this thread I see how that makes sense. I haven't timed running down the battery myself but the estimator fluctuates between 3 and 6 hours with the charge above 60%, the screen reasonably bright, I'd believe 8-12 hours is possible.
lenovo X230 i5 3320m IPS 8GB
lenovo T430 i5 3320m FHD 8GB
lenovo T500 P9700 WUXGA 8GB


Enable 2 finger scroll on any Synaptics touchpads with registry: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122612

elray
Sophomore Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:15 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: 9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#12 Post by elray » Fri May 04, 2018 12:42 pm

whqdz wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:26 pm
I don't get about what you are talking about, can you explain the question?

Sorry.

Would you tell us which ebay seller offers the sanyo battery?
X200s, Vista Business 64

whqdz
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:42 pm
Location: Belgium, Brussels

Re: 9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#13 Post by whqdz » Sat May 05, 2018 4:38 pm

elray wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 12:42 pm
Would you tell us which ebay seller offers the sanyo battery?
ITrepairshop from San Antonio (TX)

I bought this one months ago : 9-cell Laptop Battery for IBM Lenovo Thinkpad X200 X200s X201 X201i X201s

Serious and really nice offers most of the time. According to what RealBlackStuff said to me in another post, you need to plug in the battery with AC and wait more than 1 hour before it starts charging.

packardbell
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:31 pm
Location: montreal, quebec canada

9 cell battery 47++ : difference between sony and sanyo

#14 Post by packardbell » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:04 pm

china battery has fake written all over it.
the cells are b grade in my opinion and will have lower capacity and short longevity

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “ThinkPad X200/201/220 and X300/301 Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests