Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Laptop goes to sleep randomly

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
Timpel_800

Laptop goes to sleep randomly

#1 Post by Timpel_800 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi all,

I have a X220 and running it for years. Lovely machine.

However for some time now, the laptop goes into sleepmode while working on it, or just when the laptop is running and im not working on it.

It happens both when the laptop is connected to the socket, or when the laptop is only on battery. The battery is in okay condition.

I looked up in the event logger and its says
Event 524, Kernel Power, critical battery activated.

IMO it somehow thinks the battery is empty and the system has to be put to sleep. However, as said, it also happens when the machine is plugged in.

Any ideas how to fix this? I'm running windows 10. No Lenovo firmware installed at all.

thanks in advance,
Tim
- Lenovo x220 tablet i5 multitouch
- Lenovo X260

thinkpadcollection

Re: Laptop goes to sleep randomly

#2 Post by thinkpadcollection » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:26 pm

1. Change power socket since this is now intermittent but try another power adapter also power corder to be sure. Power socket is replaceable, requires disassembly to do this. There's downloadable HMM to show you how.

2. "Battery condition is *okay*. I do not care what Okay means, you do have a dying battery. Get new one anyway once you are sure about the power adapter and power socket is not at fault.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

Timpel_800

Re: Laptop goes to sleep randomly

#3 Post by Timpel_800 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:11 pm

thanks for your reply !

I have another battery and the same thing is happening. Also have three different powercords/adapters and it doesnt make a difference. Happens on all of them. Powersocket replacement should be doable for me, however isnt it strange that the sympton also occors when the laptop is only running on battery?
- Lenovo x220 tablet i5 multitouch
- Lenovo X260