Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Moving from X200T to X220T

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
Billaboard
Freshman Member

Moving from X200T to X220T

#1 Post by Billaboard » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:23 pm

I've just bought an old X220T with 500GB drive to replace my even older X200T, and have a few basic questions.

The old machine had a 1TB drive with 2 almost equal partitions. I assume that I'll have to install a new 7mm drive to go into the X220. I'm also thinking it might be sensible to install, say, a 256GB mSATA drive sometime in the future when funds allow.

I usually use Macrium Reflect to move from one drive to another.

Am I right to think that I should plan on installing the mSATA before the C: drive reaches anywhere near 256GB? If so, I'd partition the new 1TB drive to provide a 256GB C: and the rest as a D: data drive.

Will any mSATA drive fit, or are there whitelists or anything else? I see the X220T seems to have a UEFI boot system. I'm not used to this. Will it cause any difficulties?
Does it matter in practice that the mSATA slot seems to be SATA II, as opposed to the SATA III of the main drive?

Finally, I want to stay with Windows 7 because of bad experiences with Windows 10 and its constant upgrade re-installations. I run a couple of legacy programs that require a 32-bit OS. I am hoping to try them on virtual machines, such as VMware running XP or W7, 32bit, but that will incur a lot of fiddling about sorting where to store the data, transparent access to USB etc. If I had to, will a bare install of Windows 7 32-bit work OK if I install all the driver updates?

Thanks for any info or pointers about any of this.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Moving from X200T to X220T

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:02 pm

If you are careful, a 9.5mm drive will just fit in an X220/t, but without any rubber rails.
Getting it out though is very difficult, but can also be done.
Take the main drive out, when you put in the mSATA drive and install another C: on it.
Then just set the boot-sequence in BIOS Startup to boot from your favorite one, or press F12 if you want to boot from the other.
But the main drive back in.
Any mSATA will fit, and BIOS has UEFI, Legacy or Both possible.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

axur-delmeria
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by axur-delmeria » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Bare metal Windows 7 32-bit will work fine, but will limit your usable RAM to below 4GB. One of my X220's came a Win 7 32-bit COA sticker, so a "sister model" like the X220T shouldn't be a problem.

If you can afford the 7mm height 1TB HDD, get it. While it's possible to use the 9.5mm height drive in an X220T, there's a risk of damaging the system board's SATA port connector if you're not careful.
You also compromise the HDD itself because the drive has to be installed without the rubber rails/dampers.
Daily driver: X220 4291-C91 i7-2620M

Backup: X220 4291-P79 i5-2520M
Toy: X60F Core Solo U1300
In pieces: two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E; X61 7676-A24; and a BOE-Hydis HV121P01-100 in failed SXGA+ mod
:cry:

dr_st

#4 Post by dr_st » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:14 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:02 pm
If you are careful, a 9.5mm drive will just fit in an X220/t, but without any rubber rails.
Getting it out though is very difficult, but can also be done.
Shouldn't be difficult with pliers... Or just use one of those caddies with a pull ring attached.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), X1 Carbon (20HQ), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG, X61 7673-V2V
T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

Billaboard
Freshman Member

#5 Post by Billaboard » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:16 pm

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

Now I've had the machine for a couple of days, I've found one or two small problems. None of them are deal-breakers, I don't think, but they might change the order I do things in. They include:

The power socket works fine, but is more wobbly than any TP I've had. I think it might need a look inside to see if something has come adrift. Also, the charging light seems to behave differently, in that it just flashes, then goes off when the charger is plugged in. It charges OK and the screen battery display works as I expect.

It came with just bare (I think) Windows 7 64 installed, with new COA from an approved refurbisher. I've run System update, and most tablet features now seem to be working, but "Simple Tap" hasn't appeared, and the button to invoke it on the right of the keyboard is missing. I haven't got auto-rotate working, and that option seems to be greyed out in Control Panel.
Do I need to locate and play with the anti-drop, or whatever it is called, features to get this to work?
Is there any way other than the button to invoke SimpleTap, so that I can check it isn't there? If it isn't, it doesn't seem to be hosted in the drivers download area. Is there somewhere else to get it from?

It is currently stalled halfway through a Microsoft update, so nothing surprising there.

I'm thinking that, if I have to dismantle to look at the power socket and missing button, I might as well put the mSATA in while it's in bits and leave the HD upgrade till later. The choice seems to be between a 240 GB Kingston drive and a slightly more expensive 250 GB Samsung EVO. Any advice on which one?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Either SSD is fine, take the cheapest if you like.
Kingston is actually the inventor/grandfather of SSDs.

Billaboard
Freshman Member

#7 Post by Billaboard » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:41 pm

Well, this has been more difficult than I thought. The machine, as supplied, turned out to have a faulty 2GB ram module. The supplier will replace this.

In my box of bits, I found a couple of DDR3 4GB modules and had a lot of trouble with the display screen rotation giving error messages and sometimes blue screening. After a lot of effort juggling with ram, I took the 8GB out of my X201 and installed that and it has now worked well for 2 days. The X201 tests each of the problem 4GB modules and says they are fine, but together they blue screen the X201. I'm now running that on 4GB while I sort out what's wrong.

Back on the X220T, the Kingston 240GB arrived and I've installed it.

Win7 wouldn't let me shrink the C: partition on the existing HD to below 240GB because of immovable files, so I've used Easus Partition Master to shrink the partition to below 240GB. The next stage is presumably to use Macrium Reflect to install an image of the System Partition and the C: Partition onto the mSATA SSD.

Am I right to think that after this all I should have to do is change the boot order in the bios to put the mSATA above the normal HD and it should then boot? Do I have to use something like EasyBCD to make the mSATA drive the new boot drive, or will the bios now just point to the new mSATA C: drive?

The bios is set to "Both" and UEFI is set to be the second option, so I assume it isn't UEFI, but I don't really understand all this.

Billaboard
Freshman Member

#8 Post by Billaboard » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:43 am

To answer myself, that worked. I cloned, rather than imaged the C: and system partitions and changed the boot in bios. It then worked.

I now just need to pop in the 1TB data drive when it arrives.

I'm still confused by the way I seem to have a couple of 4GB DDR3's that are fine individually, but won't work together. I also have a DDR3L here so might try that paired with each of the DDR3's in turn to see what happens.