Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X201 and a virus warning message

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
Billaboard
Freshman Member

X201 and a virus warning message

#1 Post by Billaboard » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:18 pm

I've not used my X201 for a few days, but fired it up this morning and left it sitting there while I got on with other things. The machine is running 64-bit Windows 10.

When I picked it up this evening , a message from AVG popped up saying it had blocked a threat "IDP.ALEXA.51" in the C:\programdata\lenovo\imcontroller\plugins\lenovobatteryguagepackage\x64\lenovobatteryguagepackage.dll.

The odd thing is that today there is one of these file paths dated today, and one dated July, with a dll with similar name but with the name with _bk appended.

AVG seems unable to move the offending file to quarantine.

Has anyone else seen the same? Should I worry?

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: X201 and a virus warning message

#2 Post by TPFanatic » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:38 pm

I stopped playing with 10 awhile ago so I've not seen this and I've never used AVG. I'd say it's likely a false positive since it's coming from Lenovo software. From my little research only AVG and Avast detect this "IDP.ALEXA.51". If the AV software won't delete it, you can always delete it yourself.

Billaboard
Freshman Member

#3 Post by Billaboard » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:07 pm

Thanks, yes I think it is a false positive. There is discussion in which AVG reps apologise for a bad update that produced this effect.

I have updated AVG and run a virus scan, which came out clean.

I assume the two almost identical programdata directories are the result of AVG's workings in preparing to deal with what it thought was a virus. The question now, which I will have to look into tomorrow is how to get back to one directory.

I use Windows 7 (and earlier) or Linux on all the main machines. I just use W10 on this so that I know what others are talking about when they ring me.
I got really annoyed last week when a big banner came up saying Windows 10 was a service. I don't want a service, I want an operating system that is stable and consistent.

shawross

#4 Post by shawross » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:26 pm

Billaboard wrote:Thanks, yes I think it is a false positive.

Interesting because there was something there and regardless I don't trust Windows 10 to protect my privacy.
Active --- Love the X series
X301 W 7/Mint | X201 540M L Mint | X220 2520 W7/Mint

Nostalgia
X61 T7500 / T41 T42 T43 / A31

Rogue daily driver - Samsung RV511 15.6 " Screen - W 7