Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x220 not booting?

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
rhlee

x220 not booting?

#1 Post by rhlee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:46 am

On Sunday I put my x220 down on its side. Picked it up a few hours later, would not boot. I have replaced the main board once previously, because my slimmed down m4 ssd shorted out. I have since put double insulation on the SSD.

I disconnected, then reconnected the keyboard and then the machine booted once. Next day no dice.

Took out RAM, SSD, battery, disconnected CMOS battery. Plugged in power. This worked once last night.

Tried again this morning. Did not work. No post or beeps.

Is the mainboard dead?

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: x220 not booting?

#2 Post by Neil » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:02 am

Maybe... But first let's determine if something else is the cause. Remove the battery and drain the static charge like you've done in the past, only this time do not replace the main battery. Now try to boot (I suspect this could be caused by a bad battery). Another possible cause is a faulty keyboard. Do you have a spare you can try? Or a dock with a power switch to try and boot without a keyboard? There may be other things to try, but those two are things I can think of that could be the fault in addition to the system board.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

rhlee

#3 Post by rhlee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:18 pm

Sorry, that is what I meant. I have already tried that. I read a few posts about the power button wearing out, so I figured that it might be that. I disconnected the main and cmos battery and by plugging in the AC power, the machine booted up automatically without me pressing the power button.

This worked last night. However it did not this morning.

You mentioned draining the residual charge of the machine. I'm guessing I can't do this if the power button or keyboard is not working. Unless someone here knows which contacts to short.

Another thing that may be related to this residual charge is that I seem only to have been able to boot the machine once a day. Even if the power button wan't working and I wasn't able to discharge the residual charge manually, perhaps the natural charge dissipation of the circuits enabled me to boot up once a day.

rhlee

#4 Post by rhlee » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:21 am

You were partially right Neil! It was the CMOS battery not the main battery.