Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X200 Blank / Black Screen / No Image

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
hslick

X200 Blank / Black Screen / No Image

#1 Post by hslick » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:06 am

Hi folks,

I received a used X200 recently that came with Win7 installed and wanted to do a fresh OS install after I cleaned it out, re-pasted the heatsinks and the like.

I reassembled it - and to my horror - I'm not getting any image to the monitor at all! Typically it will turn on for 3-5 seconds, and then turn itself off. It will then turn on again a few seconds later, and stay on.

The capslock and numlock lights flash, and the battery/on lights stay on solid.

I'm new to the forum so in the hopes of pre-empting the obvious questions:

-I've serviced my home computers for about 12 years now, including various laptops, so I know what not to do. I haven't torn any ribbon cables and I was very careful, making sure the battery and PSU were disconnected at all times.

-It was absolutely working when I received it; only after reassembly did this problem arise.

-I have put everything back where it is supposed to be.

I've tried replacing several components, none of which have resolved the problem:

-Different RAM (PC8500S 2x2GB, PC10600 2x4GB PC12800 2x4GB, none)
-Different Screen (X201 Screen)
-Different BIOS battery (tested, from my X201)
-Different Hard Drive (blank), no hard drive

I tried plugging it into an external monitor and did not get a signal.

I've also tried pushing the on/off button 10 times, holding it down for 30 seconds, and no help.

I've searched the net and couldn't find anything conclusive - apologies if I'm missing something mega obvious.

Let me know if you need any more details, and I appreciate any help I can get.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: X200 Blank / Black Screen / No Image

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:24 am

Maybe you didn't reconnect the fan?
Tried it with AC only?
Does it beep 1-3-3-1 without any RAM?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

hslick

Re: X200 Blank / Black Screen / No Image

#3 Post by hslick » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Alright sorry for lack of response for a very long time - really appreciate you getting back to me.

I was even more disheartened to find that, not long after posting this, the Thinkpad X200 wouldn't turn on at all!

I finally mustered up the courage to dive back in - with a spare X200s board I got ahold of.
RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:24 am
Maybe you didn't reconnect the fan?
Tried it with AC only?
Does it beep 1-3-3-1 without any RAM?
With the X200S board, I turned it on and heard the beeps you described! I put some RAM in and the Thinkpad splash came up, and the backlight definitely comes on as well. I gave the X200 board another try and did turn on again, but it doesn't even get the backlight on - I shone a lamp behind the screen and still nothing, so I can see that it can't display anything (as I said, I tried external monitor too) - looks like it may not even get to BIOS, but I at least now know for sure the LCD is not the problem.

To make absolutely sure, I did run a multimeter on the fuses F1 through F4 and got continuity on all, so I don't think they're the source of the issue with the X200?

Guess I'll have to see if I can get the X200S board in working order - it at least shows me something!