Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X201 Screen Problems

X200, X201, X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300, X301 series specific matters only.
X210Thinker

X201 Screen Problems

#1 Post by X210Thinker » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:54 pm

Picked up an X201 on the cheap to be a little project. First course of action is getting rid of the most annoying problem with it, the black line going down the screen. I have a nice line blocking out part of my screen. It runs from top to bottom and is about a quarter of an inch wide. If i apply pressure to the top of the screen above this line, the line disappears.

What is back there? Loose connection of some kind maybe? I am new to Thinkpads, but not to computer/laptop repair and customization in general. Just want to do a little research and planning before tearing this thing apart.

X210Thinker

Re: X201 Screen Problems

#2 Post by X210Thinker » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:25 pm

So I did a little more digging and some disassembly. I found the following on the Lenovo Forum

"There is a connection tape along the width of the laptop with a contact for each row of pixels. The tape has delaminated from the panel. This is usually caused by someone squeezing or twisting the panel. You will meed to replace the panel. The cost depends on who does the repair and also which panel you have. (Multitouch vs. pen-only)"

I disassembled my X201 and found the Hydis HV121WX6-110 is the screen that is installed and giving me troubles. From what I can find, this may or may not be the factory installed screen. I found That some people used the HV121WX4-120 and HV121WX5-100 as an upgrade to the factory screen although the WX4 would need some modification done because it uses a different connector? THere wasnt a lot of specifics. Im ending up with more questions.

Is the Hydis HV121WX6-110 the factory installed screen?

If not, is it better than the factory screen? Should I order a new one of these instead? Or perhaps it was bad aftermarket build quality that led to my current Black line problem and I should order the factory screen?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:38 am

Go to http://www.panelook.com/ and compare the specs of all those screens.
X201 has possibilities for screens with CCFL and LED backlight, also for WXGA and WXGA+ resolutions.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

wileE
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by wileE » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:13 am

X201 only used WXGA LED screens. Anything else is a mod.

You can use LG Display LP121WX3 (TL)(C1) or AU Optronics B121EW09. Both are plug & play.