Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

x220 sleep sensor & indicator LEDs troubleshooting

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
Badger716

x220 sleep sensor & indicator LEDs troubleshooting

#1 Post by Badger716 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:13 am

My x220 has stopped sleeping when the lid closes. I have to manually make the computer suspend in Linux, same with Windows and OSX. The computer screen is still on when the lid closes, even in the BIOS. Furthermore, the sleep and battery indicator LEDs on the back of the display don't work. When I wake up from sleep, the screen is off. I have to increase/decrease the brightness or login for the screen to turn on. Basically have a similar problem as this person here.

I've tried diagnosing the sleep/hall sensor on the screen bezel next to the LED illuminator. Placing a (somewhat weak) kitchen magnet there doesn't seem to do anything, however by placing the same magnet on the trackpad, I can tell that the neodymium magnet is still there.

Any ideas if I'm missing something? Are the battery and sleep indicator lights connected to the hall sensor or is it a different problem altogether?

If not, could someone send me a link for the replacement and/or how to replace the sensor? Thanks in advance.

Badger716

Re: x220 sleep sensor & indicator LEDs troubleshooting

#2 Post by Badger716 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:00 am

UPDATE:

After replacing the LED indicator panel and its cables, which contain the sleep sensor, the problem still exists.

Furthermore, I've been experiencing sporadic sleeping and waking on the machine. The laptop will rapidly sleep and wake for some time. The only way to solve it is to shut down or wait a bit. This is intermittent, so I can still use it but is considerably less reliable.

This sleep/wake cycle seems to be somewhat common, as it is the same problem as described here: viewtopic.php?t=124471

Any ideas? This is my main laptop for college, and I don't want the laptop to sleep/wake when I'm taking an online quiz or exam.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: x220 sleep sensor & indicator LEDs troubleshooting

#3 Post by axur-delmeria » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:45 am

My previous X220 had a bad habit of suddenly going to sleep like that, but I never solved it (just bought another X220, this time one of the i7 models with USB 3.0). I did some research regarding the issue at the time, and the mention of a bad EEPROM chip in some batches of X220's came up.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry: