Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Buying guides for X200 laptops that can be flashed with Libreboot?

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
thinkpadfanman

Buying guides for X200 laptops that can be flashed with Libreboot?

#1 Post by thinkpadfanman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:33 pm

Hi all,

I am on the lookout for an affordable X200 thinkpad laptop to flash with Libreboot.

Currently I am stuck with an X200s ('s' as in slim) lightweight X200-style laptop purchased for $100 from Craigslist recently. It can apparently be flashed with libreboot, but this requires desoldering the WSON chip and replacing it with a generic SOIC chip according to one of the project leads of Libreboot who recently uploaded a video in Dec 2020. Same goes for X200 tablet laptops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxMKJsg5IEU

I am willing to buy an SOIC chip, wire it up to a flashing device such as a raspberry PI to get Libreboot on an X200, but I don't want to get into the dicey game of soldering leads to a WSON chip to insteall Libreboot since my soldering skills are amateur at best.

A lot of postings on Ebay and Craigslist call their Thinkpad laptops "X200", when in actually, they are actually X200 tablets or X200s ('s' as in slim) if you look closely enough at the pictures a seller provides.

How do I know if an 'X200' laptop listed for sale online is just the standard 'X200' thinkpad laptop? Is there a wiki or a guide somewhere for Thinkpad enthusiasts that walks through the various X200 model numbers? I'd like to be armed with this knowledge so I can move fast on a decent X200 laptop listed online for $100 or less.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Buying guides for X200 laptops that can be flashed with Libreboot?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:48 am

An X200 or X200s has two hinges (L and R), an X200 Tablet has only one hinge in the middle.
Ask seller for the TYPE of that machine, it's on a label on the bottom and looks like: TYPE 7458-AE5.
Click on the MTM link above and enter that Type.
It will tell you if that TYPE is X200/X200s/X201/X201s/X200 tablet, etc.

Also get the X200 (and X200 tablet) manuals from the HMM link above.
They list most of the TYPEs.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Covid-19: Stay safe, so still Mask it or Casket!