Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X220 bricked?

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
karotlopj

X220 bricked?

#1 Post by karotlopj » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:08 pm

I have two X220's one of which suddenly packed up. The other one I've had for much longer and has given good service so I was shocked that the other just died on me. Is there any way to tell if it salvageable?

When I plug in the power supply the battery LED flashes three times, and when attempting to power on the power button keeps flashing and initially the bluetooth indicator flashes which suggests there is some life left in the thing.
My ThinkPad Graveyard:
600 * 2, X220, X61 * 2, T61

atagunov

Re: X220 bricked?

#2 Post by atagunov » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:11 pm

Hi, there are definitely lots of useful parts in that X220 even if the motherboard has given up. There are those motherboards on ebay. I believe you could even use an X230 motherboard, but then
- you'd need to install https://github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec/issues to keep using X220 keyboard and battery
- and you'd need to isolate those pins as described in http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_C ... _ThinkPads
- and you'd end up with a gap around mini-displayPort connector because X230 motherboard has got a mini-DP where X220 body has a hole for a full-sized DP

Are we sure the motherboard is really dead? Any beeps? Remove RAM, HDD/SSD, battery, plug in AC adapter and power on? Maybe try an external monitor?..
X220, 2 *T520