Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

WiFi stops to work irregularly on X201 (major issue of X201)

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
Buick

WiFi stops to work irregularly on X201 (major issue of X201)

#1 Post by Buick » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:28 pm

I still face this problem on my 3rd X201 - the WiFi stops to work on X201, irregulary. The green led turns off, and sometimes there is no WiFi Device after i call the Fn+F5, only BlueTooth.

This problem has many users of X201. And this problem is ultra annoying, mainly because that nobody knows what is the cause of this problem. It points on Lenovo: bad drivers they damaging WiFi cards. On my both previous X201 i faced this problem. And my actual third X201 suffers with this WiFi problem as well. This is not coincidence.

When i change the WiFi card for new, it works for some time without any problem. But after some time it starts to stop working. The cadency of the problem grows and sometimes i restart the driver or all computer many times to "force" the adapter to work for some time.

I also found that damaged wi-fi adapter (with this issue) corrupting the Sleep process of my X201. The laptop is not going into the Sleep mode, instead of this it is hard switched off..

So i here are my known procedures or tip about this issue:

1) First i found that it helps when i restart the PC, or at least i Sign off. The reactivation of WiFi adapter/driver helps to sign on the wi-fi adapter correctly. It works for some time, sometimes for minutes, sometimes for hours, sometimes even for days..

2) Later I found that it helps when i reinstall the wifi driver when the wifi stops to work. Again, the reinstallation process helps to sign on the WiFi adapter correctly and it works for some time.

3) Some people say that the chipset reinstallation might help too.
viewtopic.php?t=130915

4) i also noticed that resetting of embedded controller might help:
"Resetting the embedded controller can help problems like these by removing the battery and holding down power button for about 15 seconds."
viewtopic.php?t=130915

5) I found that this driver should fix the problem: https://drivers.softpedia.com/downloadT ... i%20Driver. At least one user claims this on this thread:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X ... 196?page=1
But those drivers are not for N 6300 or N 6200, etc. They are not stated there. \\\

6) The problem could be also in BIOS, as Lenovo blocks some non approved WiFi cards. But i always used offical WiFi cards (N 6200 or N 6300).
"Could be 1 of two things I can think of, Something is wrong with the PCI-Express slot for the WiFi card (though odd cause BlueTooth is working), 2) Lenovo is known to black list non approved WiFi cards making them not work. I have had to BIOS flash one of my Lenovo laptops to use a better (non approved) WiFi card."
https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/le ... ble.419645

7) Is there some 'secret' driver from Intel for Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 or Advanced-N 6200? On Lenovo EOL site they are those same drivers for years.

I did not try all those tips (had no time), but i will focus on this.

It seems that it is a problem of whole X021 Series. But isn't a problem only for some X201 models/CPUs (i5)?
https://superuser.com/questions/1039045 ... nstallatio
"I have managed dozens of x201 series laptops and can say I have not seen a more consistent rate of problems
with wifi adapters than with this specific series. In most cases, the internal wifi antenna is
damaged/defective and must be replaced. A good indicator of this is when the green wifi symbol will not light
up (and the bluetooth symbol is lit), or having the wifi light turn off shortly after enabling wifi (Fn+F5).
Of course, make sure the main wifi switch is set correctly and that you enable all wireless radios with Fn+F5.
The switch is on the left hand side of the laptop and on the end closest to the user.
I have had occasional success by uninstalling the wifi network adapter from Computer Management, which forces
the laptop to reidentify the adapater on next boot."

The crucial problem is that i do not know where is the problem and how to fix it. Is the problem is in wi-fi adapters (series) - i purchasing them as new from eBay (China). Or is the problem in my motherboard or any other hw component (like hw radio switch, as some says)? Or is the problem in drivers/adapter software that damaging the wi-fi adapters?

So should i buy WiFi adaptors, or new MB, or new X021 with another CPU? Or is the problem in SW/drivers?
What will happen if i switch my HDD to new X201? Will i bring this problem via my OS to new X201 as wel? Serious quastions. But i do not know nothing about where is the problem.
What is sure it is that it is Lenovo bad work..

Is there anybody who successfully fix this problem?!

Let's share your knowledge here, please.
Thank you!
Last edited by Buick on Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buick

Re: WiFi stops to work irregularly on X201 (major issue of X201)

#2 Post by Buick » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:58 pm

p.s.: for LENOVO ThinkPad X201 there are allowed only those offical WiFi cards, and on this link(s) there is stated none of these:

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 60Y3231
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 60Y3233
Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 60Y3195
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 60Y3203
Intel WiFi Link 5300 43Y6495
Intel WiFi Link 5100 43Y6493
Intel WiMAX/WiFi Link 5350 43Y6533
Intel WiMAX/WiFi Link 5150 43Y6539

QUESTION: is it possible to use with X201 some newer/better WiFi cards? Is there some way to do it???

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:05 pm

If you remove the wifi-whitelist from BIOS, the PCI-e Intel AC-7260 will work like a charm.
They look like this: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/154364689554
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

David Ross
**SENIOR** Member
**SENIOR** Member

#4 Post by David Ross » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:15 am

In my case I just bought a tiny cheap USB adapter, and leave it in the machine all the time. Not only is it more reliable, but the AC600 speed is much higher.

kyreamin

#5 Post by kyreamin » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:18 am

I had this same issue for a long time too and I was on the verge of ditching my X201 because it it caused so many unexpected inconveniences.
I had a sneaking suspicion it was due to the wifi manual on/off switch on the front left base of the case, because flicking it on and off seemed to rectify the problem temporarily.
Strangely enough, after I completely disassembled my X201 to replace the thermal paste and also to clean the fan, after reassembly I have NEVER had the wifi problem again.
I can only guess it was related to re-tightening the screws, or reconnecting terminals that may have come loose with heat and age.
If nothing else you've tried has worked, that may be worth a shot.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#6 Post by dr_st » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:11 am

A finicky hardware wireless switch is a known issue that can cause such problems. I've been experiencing this intermittently on my X61.

But, I was curious about this remark by the OP:
Buick wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:28 pm
sometimes there is no WiFi Device after i call the Fn+F5, only BlueTooth
Wouldn't a hardware switch that is stuck in 'off' affect Bluetooth as well?
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

DannyThinkpad

#7 Post by DannyThinkpad » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:00 am

I just got an x201 free yesterday.

"wouldn't power on"

I went and picked it up (the lady left it running in a plastic bag outside for me to pick up. oh no!)

SO i immediately turned it off.. it was hot near the power port.

I get home.. 3 beeps.. memory problem. Open up the back, no memory installed. Install memory.. no hard drive installed.
install hard drive.. Vroom Vroom Vroom she starts right up like a ferrari! woohoo...
wifi card isn't working..

wifi switch is hard AF to to toggle.. toggled it like 3 times using a marker as my finger ot switch it back and forth.. i thinki installed drivers too..
working now.. it was weird because it wasn't working so i plugged in a usb wifi and used that for a while and then i noticed the internal wifi was working..
so i unplugged the usb and it's been working ever since.... if it just goes out by itself i think i'll just plug in that usb dongle and use that from now on..
i might just plug it up and use it anyway.. might get better reception and i'll know where it is.. it only sticks out a few mm anyway.. got it for like 6 bucks from microcenter a while back for situations like this.. glad i did.