Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Up-to-date guides on Libreboot X200 Thinkpads?

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
thinkpadfanman

Up-to-date guides on Libreboot X200 Thinkpads?

#1 Post by thinkpadfanman » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:14 pm

Hi all,

Got an X200 thinkpad laptop a while ago that's been on my list of projects to Libreboot.

I know there are different devices one can use to flash and overwrite the BIOS and remove the Intel Management Engine (ME) backdoor such as a Beaglebone or Raspberry Pi single board computers or just dedicated flashers.

Since I have a raspberry Pi 3 model B, I'm happy enough to move forward with that. Now I just need a good SOIC clip that has the right number of pins (8 or 16, depending on my exact model). I heard good things about the SOIC clips sold by Pamona electronics (even made in the USA, from what I can remember :D)

Unfortunately the documentation that is available on the Libreboot website seemed a bit more technical than a lay person can use. Are there any up-to-date guides on parts required for the job, software needed, repositories of libreboot images for the X200, common pitfalls to avoid (e.g. flashing chip before dumping the current BIOS as a fallback option)?

If there are other forums more dedicated to libre (free as in freedom) software I should look into for help on this topic, I'm happy to pose my questions on those boards too.

Thank you!