Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X300 update from Sata 1 to 2 or 3 Never mind I found it!!

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
Ym1

#1 Post by Ym1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:52 am

guys I'm looking for solution after doing a SSD install of a 256gig HD. I have noticed that my
drive is stuck in Sata 1 mode. Atto tools show my drive pretty much pegging the limit so I'm
hoping there's a patch out there. I have done a search on here and on other boards. I found
two threads, one talked about the t61/x61 having the same bios as the x300 and some guy wrote a
patch to "switch" the bus to sata 2. His last post was he was going to try it the morning on his X300
and that was that, no follow up and the thread ended in Aug 2010. The other thread started out with upgrades
to a X300 and somehow ended up talking about NAS stuff, so totaly unrelated.

So if anyone can provide me a link to said bios or software hack for this I would be most appreciative.
Also can someone that has a X300 confirm that it actually can support 8 gigs.

So after 6 hours of searching I found it. Here's the link so if anyone else with a X300 doesn't have to go through what I did.
Also the X301 has the Sata 2 already turned on so there's no need for this on that model.
A few notes on the update. Leave your or put your old SSD HD back in. I tried the CD flash option and got a bitlocker warning.
I'm running Win7 Enterprise so thats why but UL has that as well. So its just easier to pop the old drive back in copy the file over
and do the update while in windows. The Drive I have is the Crucial C300, my Atto tools max write/read

Before Sata 1
116megs write
142megs read

After Sata 2
214megs write
281megs read

So basically the difference is massive you also can choose to swap the FN and ctr key if you so choose. Here's the link. Enjoy.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo- ... ion-8.html

miscthree
Freshman Member

#2 Post by miscthree » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Very cool! My x300 is probably running at sata-1 but it's working 'fine'..I have no complaints..but I definitely want to do this update in the near future!