Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

The definitive X301 SSD upgrade thread

X200/X201/X220 (including equivalent tablet models) and X300/X301 Series
mglaze

The definitive X301 SSD upgrade thread

#1 Post by mglaze » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:38 am

Please forgive the presumptuousness of the title of this thread. I've been scouring this and other forums for one like it, and so far I've found plenty of discussion, but nothing that quite answers this question.

I have a X301 with the factory 128GB SSD installed and working great (for 2+ years now). I would like to upgrade this SSD to the maximum size possible, and also still achieve the best performance possible.

I have actually already made 2 failed attempts to do this upgrade. Both times I purchased an SSD from Ebay. Not even sure what the first one was off the top of my head, but that was over a year ago, and it had the issues mentioned elsewhere - mostly successful initial install of Windows 7 (possibly a few bad file copy warnings during installation), but quickly failing after a few boot ups, and integrity of the file system rapidly degrading. Also the very long pauses during normal usage. And then the OS giving a blue screen and/or becoming unusable after a short amount of time.

My second attempt was with a Samsung MicroSATA TRIM (Part number MMDPE56GTDXP-MVBD7, firmware VBM9MD1Q). Again I got this one off Ebay, but also found it on other sites, all stating compatibility specifically with X301. This actually turned out to be the open-form card only (no enclosure casing) but it still popped in to the X301 just fine, and seemed to hold in the slot securely, so I gave it a try. And again pretty much the same problems - probably didn't even fully get through the OS installation with this one actually, before enough files were corrupted to kill the installation process. After several attempts I've given up.

I've read a lot on these forums about others trying (and presumably succeeding?) with various SSDs. I've also read quite a few negative results similar to mine. From what I have gathered, here are some bits of information that seem to be known:

* The Lenovo drives with actual Lenovo FRU part numbers, sold from the Lenovo site and also on Amazon and others, which are actually manufactured by Samsung and/or perhaps Toshiba, are actually not compatible with the X301, even though they are sold specifically as an official FRU for the X301. But again it seems other people may have had success with these? Other discussion seems to indicate the problem here is really that these drives have a high rate of production defects?

* The Intel 160GB drive seems to be the most widely accepted success story here? But is it really worth it for 32GB? I can do better than that with a SDHC on a USB stick.

* The Crucial RealSSD C300 also seems to have some successes? But I'm not clear on whether the successes here are only with the 128GB and lower drives, or if anyone has actually had success with a 256GB version of this one?

* Perhaps some other manufacturers are out there with few verifiable results, such as OCZ? Although perhaps quality-wise this one is not great?

* Some discussion seems to indicate that a particular version of BIOS on the Thinkpad is required for compatibility with certain drives? I've read in some places that the newest BIOS is needed, while in other places I've read that the newest BIOS is actually too new and not yet supported by the drives, and some previous version is needed. I've also read some things about needing to flip some switches in the BIOS somehow to enable the full speed of certain SSDs?

* I'm not clear on whether certain features are required, or just available/compatible? Specifically, TRIM? FDE? Initially I was under the impression a drive had to support both TRIM and FDE to even work with the X301, but now I'm not sure.

* Haven't seen anything about any size bigger than 256GB yet - so I guess this is the maximum size available for 1.8" SSD in the near future? Or is there something coming soon that could be worth waiting for?

* There also seems to be a bit of discussion about using the PATA IDE slot where the dvd drive is installed as an expansion bay for another drive, as long as the drive can fit under 7mm. It's not clear if anyone has managed to do this yet, but I suppose that could be another alternative for expansion.

I've already spent a ridiculous amount of time and money trying to get this upgrade done. I can't seem to find a single discussion out there that has the definitive answer. Honestly after all this, price is not the main concern for me - I will happily spend more if it will give me the solution that is definitely going to work. But I'd like to be a bit better informed before I shell out more cash for a third attempt.

So can anyone provide a definitive compatibility list, along with confirmed BIOS versions, features required, performance vs. price consideration, etc.? I never thought adding 128GB storage could be such a challenge!

Thanks!

u751920
Sophomore Member

Re: The definitive X301 SSD upgrade thread

#2 Post by u751920 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:20 am

Hi,
I noticed your Samsung SSD was very similar to one I am considering - MMDPE56G8DXP-OVBL7. Yours has a T where mine has an 8, was that a typo? I might not bother getting it if there is all this trouble installing it. I noticed in the marketplace on this forum that the Samsung drives seem to be working - a seller had some good reviews.

Did you install the OS via disc's or USB? My disc OS creation failed at the first attempt, although worked on the second attempt.

I have read a lot of the stuff you have on this issue including turning on in the BIOS the way the drive is looked at - have read so many forums forgotten what is was. However from my thread of "SSD Advice" as AMATX says the performance is good without any of the trim operations etc. Just essentially installing the SSD and using it. That's all I want I just need the room internally no good carrying external drives for a portable machine.

If I get the drive I'm looking at I'll let you know how I get on.
X301 SU9600 1.6Ghz 256SSD 8Gb RAM WWAN&GPS BT Windows 7 Pro 64bit Batteries 6 Cell & Bay

mglaze

#3 Post by mglaze » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:25 am

I think the part number I listed is correct for what I have. Here's a photo - this isn't my exact one, but mine is identical:

I have only tried installing the OS via discs. I'm sure I've tried several times, sometimes failing before even finishing, other times failing after installation and a few reboots, but in every case failing with file problems before getting through a full day's use.

Thanks, would be interesting to hear how your setup goes.

siya-u
Freshman Member

#4 Post by siya-u » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:43 pm

Hello,

I'll suggest Intel second generation (Gen2) SSD drive; it's the X-18M Gen2. I purchased one from ebay, installed on my X301 and have been using for about 3 months without any problems:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 273wt_1344

Note: The drive carries an HP part number but it is fully compatible with the X301.

Hope this helps...

mglaze

#5 Post by mglaze » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:44 am

Thanks, the one you've linked to seems to be an 80gb SSD?

I suppose you really mean this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-X18-M-160GB-S ... 1984wt_951
INTEL X18-M 160GB SSD SSDSA1MH160G201 SATA 1.8" OEM NEW
Capacity: 160GB
Controller: Intel 2nd Gen
Memory: Intel 34nm NAND Flash MLC

$440 seems a bit steep for only 160GB, is it really worth it to add only 32GB capacity? I think I'd rather keep looking for a 256GB solution..

mglaze

#6 Post by mglaze » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:19 am

Apologies for bumping my own thread here, but the clock is ticking and I will need to order something soon. Would be good to have some evidence to back up my decision with here before I pull the trigger.

Can anyone at all please relate their experience with 256GB SSDs in the X301? Specifically, the Crucial C300, or perhaps the "official" Lenovo FRU, or any others that are known to work?

Thanks again!

u751920
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by u751920 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:47 am

Still trying to agree a price with a seller.
Will update when deal done etc.
X301 SU9600 1.6Ghz 256SSD 8Gb RAM WWAN&GPS BT Windows 7 Pro 64bit Batteries 6 Cell & Bay

LegendaryKA8

#8 Post by LegendaryKA8 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm a little late to the thread but I am using the Samsung 256GB SSD with a 2.5" adapter. This is the Lenovo drive option with FDE. It's pretty fast(however I'm used to HDDs) and I've had no problems with about two months of use between my T500 and X200. It is a bit expensive(the only reason I bought it was I found it by chance on a local CL ad for dirt cheap), but in my experience it's a quality drive.
ThinkPads:T21(retired), X200(retired), T500(busted) T400(retiring), T430(upcoming)
Other: Dell Precision M6700(desk hog)

BobA

#9 Post by BobA » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:15 am

I just recently purchased a 256G SSD from a forum member and have had no trouble with it at all on my X301 .. wasn't even aware of the SSD problems until I saw this post. The SSD I purchased is a Lenovo FRU 45N7991 made by Toshiba. I didn't do a clean install on it but rather copied my 64G install onto this drive. It's been running Windows 7 happily for over a week now.
Bob
Last edited by BobA on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
X1 Carbon (5th Gen) -- T430s -- W530

mglaze

#10 Post by mglaze » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:44 am

Interesting, I had come across this before:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-Th ... d-p/380449

It seems the 45N7991 is what some people are getting instead of the 43N3417. I'm guessing the first is Toshiba, the 2nd is Samsung? Maybe the Toshiba works and the Samsung doesn't, but you just have to buy and hope you get lucky? I've seen a few sites that claim to sell the 45N7991, but for $999 so it's not really in the budget, when the Crucial drive seems to be half that much.

You mentioned getting it from a forum member - if you think there's a chance he might have more of these drives available, please send me a message and tell me how to find them.

Would be curious to know any more of your particulars. Bios version? File system - normal NTFS? What software did you use to copy the drive over?

Thanks!

LegendaryKA8

#11 Post by LegendaryKA8 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:51 am

Where have you heard that the Samsung drive is faulty? I picked mine up used and have had zero problems with it. The retail price of $700-900 is quite steep but I have seen it for about $400 or so elsewhere. Overall I'm very happy with it and in general use I find it to be as fast as the Intel X25M-G1 in my Asus G73.
ThinkPads:T21(retired), X200(retired), T500(busted) T400(retiring), T430(upcoming)
Other: Dell Precision M6700(desk hog)

mglaze

#12 Post by mglaze » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am

This is the link where I had read about the Lenovo FRU drives not being compatible:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Th ... d-p/372577

I'm sure I also read this in a few other places. But perhaps they are talking about the Toshiba specifically? I'm so confused now, hearing reports about both Toshiba and Samsung working and/or not working in various cases? This must be down to some kind of BIOS version compatibility?

The SSD I currently have is also Samsung, but it definitely has not worked. See the photo in my previous post.

The prices I've seen for the "official" Lenovo FRU (43N3417) one have not really been lower than $680, which is Amazon's current price as well. I've seen offers on Ebay for that price and much higher. Everything lower than that turned out to be something more like the drive I have - an open card, caseless SSD with a completely different part number.

Any details about your Thinkpad BIOS version, also perhaps the BIOS version of the drive if that is available? Anything else that may be a factor?

I've just checked, and I have the following (in sysinfo):

BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 6EET52WW (3.12 ), 8/10/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU U9400 @ 1.40GHz, 1401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

I've read something about better compatibility with BIOS 3.14, but I've also read things about upgrading causing compatibility issues with other drives - so even there I'm not sure what to do.

sonysg

#13 Post by sonysg » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:42 pm

I'm currently using the following ssd( Intel X-18M 160G )for my X301.:wink:
So far it's work, no data corruption encounter.

This is the link that i bought for my beloved X301 :D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220875883959?ss ... 1439.l2649

ThinkPad X301, Intel X-18M SSD 160G + Hitachi 500GB Z5K500 (bay mod), SU 9600, 8GB Elpida, Win-7 Ultimate x64
ThinkPad X61T, Intel X-25V SSD 40G, L7500, 3GB Win-7 Ultimate x86
ThinkPad X60, Kingston SSD 64G,T2100, 3GB Win-7 Ultimate x86

mglaze

#14 Post by mglaze » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:29 am

Resurrecting this old thread again...

Ignoring some of my previous research, I managed to find the Lenovo FRU 256gb drive for a decent price ($285 - finally!), and so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I figured at this price it would be worth giving it a try, even if success is not guaranteed.

The drive arrived sealed in what appears to be a Lenovo factory OEM box, with a protective chassis and documentation. So far, so good. Note this drive is actually a Toshiba. I can upload a photo and confirm all the details once I have a chance to get the drive out - but I can't do it right now - keep reading...

I put the new drive in and started trying to install Windows 7. Of course that's when the problems begin. On my first attempt, the installation failed early, at the point where it is trying to format the drive. The error was something like 0x80070057 -failed to format the selected partition. I found a lot of info here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25028 ... ws-install

So I tried several things. First, changing the bios setting from AHCI to Compatibility. I still don't quite understand what this means, but ultimately it has seemed to help. Installing again produced the same error, but with the differences that 1. The 'formatting' step seemed to go a lot longer before failing; and 2. When rebooting it seemed like at least the partition had been created and made active I guess, because it asked me if I wanted to boot from cd or not - it had not done this on any of my previous tries. So I felt we were on the right track with the 'Compatibility' mode.

Next made some attempts with doing a direct partition create and ntfs format at the dos prompt, following the instructions from that link, using diskpart. On my first attempt, I had AHCI back on. This failed at the formatting stage within a few seconds, with something about 'unable to read/write sector'.

I switched to Compatibility again, and now using diskpart, I've got some more progress. Sort of. It was stuck at 'formatting..0%' for ages, but I just let it continue. It turns out the format is running at about 30 minutes for every 1% (!!!) ...so at this rate I guess it will be done tomorrow or the next day. Oh well, I'm in no rush, so I will just wait and see what happens. It's already at around 25% so I'll see if it manages to complete. I hope this is just a problem with the initial format, and not an indicator of how the drive is actually going to perform. Perhaps I need some updated firmware on the drive or something? Not sure what to do but wait and see.

u751920
Sophomore Member

#15 Post by u751920 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:52 am

Totally forgot about this.
Couldn't agree a price in the end when I tried to buy one.
Can I ask where you got your one from? $285 sounds pretty good to me.

I am now also considering the second drive caddy that inserts into the optical/second battery bay. It will accomodate any 7mm 2.5" drive. There are some 500gb ones around.

The Solutor
Sophomore Member

#16 Post by The Solutor » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:02 am

Oh well, I'm in no rush, so I will just wait and see what happens. It's already at around 25% so I'll see if it manages to complete. I hope this is just a problem with the initial format, and not an indicator of how the drive is actually going to perform. Perhaps I need some updated firmware on the drive or something? Not sure what to do but wait and see.
I had some similar problems with my (toshiba powered kingston) SDD on the X200t: was impossible to restore the acronis image of the old HDD.

So I used my desktop PC to format and partition the drive then started a fresh installation, since then I had no problem.

The only glitch was the impossibility to reboot the PC: i had to shut down and power on again instead. I solved this switching from AHCI to compatibility.

If you want to try the same path you need an adapter because the 1.8' drive connector is not the same as the one present on the 2.5/3.5'' drives.

BTW the adapter is cheap, and can be handy in the future.

mglaze

#17 Post by mglaze » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks, might have to try that. I have a usb enclosure/adapter actually so can give that a try if I need to.

Since I got up today, the format has been stuck on 49%. At first I was happy to see it made so much progress overnight. But now, several hours later, it's still stuck on 49%, so I guess things are not good. I'll let it carry on for the rest of the day and see if anything happens. Still have a few other ideas to try out...

FYI, the $285 price was just a lucky (or unlucky?!) find on ebay - I've had watchers set up to search for any items matching this criteria for a year now, so I grabbed it as soon as I saw it. It was sold "new", and did appear to be OEM sealed when it arrived - so I don't think it's anything funny about the ebay sale, but who knows.

Also, guys - I've found a very cheap solution to get a decent expansion of 32gb. Check out the "Elago" usb micro-sdhc adapters. I got one of these plus a 32gb micro-sdhc sandisk for about 40 bucks, and it's awesome. I stick it into the usb on the back of the laptop, so I don't even see it, and it barely protrudes out (like less than 1cm I guess) anyway so I hardly notice it. But it's great to add on 32gb. I'm just waiting for Elago or someone to make something similar for sdxc cards - then I can have a 64gb or more - at that point expanding my sdd almost seems pointless.

The Solutor
Sophomore Member

#18 Post by The Solutor » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:01 pm

mglaze wrote: FYI, the $285 price was just a lucky (or unlucky?!) find on ebay - I've had watchers set up to search for any items matching this criteria for a year now, so I grabbed it as soon as I saw it. It was sold "new", and did appear to be OEM sealed when it arrived - so I don't think it's anything funny about the ebay sale, but who knows.
I'm generally lucky on ebay, I got my actual X200s (used) for a really good price, was sold as "perfect" but I took that word with a grain of salt being more than 2 years old, instead it is really perfect, mint, pristine, not a single scratch, not a single fingerprint, or shiny key. Just brand new.

Also my Intel G2 160, bought more than one year ago, from a forum user, had less than 13 h of real usage, and I paid it 200€ when its street price was almost 400€.

I believe your glitch is matter of little incompatibilities between your machine and the drive, not because a faulty drive.

u751920
Sophomore Member

#19 Post by u751920 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 pm

I bought my X301 on eBay. The seller had 5 of them all brand new, worked out ok for me - was an odd seller.

Although USB memory is a good solution I prefer the clean lines on a laptop. To that end I did purchase a Half Mini PCI-E Micro SD Card Reader. This would allow 2 micro sd cards for memory thus currently I think that would mean an extra 64gb, it fits inside the laptop which was an advatage too. Only problem was a whitelist error. Currently selling these on eBay.

I'm tending towards just a 256GB drive at some stage, which for me should be sufficient as a working size. And an external drive for anything ad hoc. As I prefer to have maximum battery ability the second battery occupies my bay. Having said that I seem rarely to rely on just battery power very often.

So all in all who knows what i'll do. Keep us posted on your endeavors with the 256gb ssd.

The Solutor
Sophomore Member

#20 Post by The Solutor » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:13 pm

u751920 wrote: Although USB memory is a good solution I prefer the clean lines on a laptop. To that end I did purchase a Half Mini PCI-E Micro SD Card Reader. This would allow 2 micro sd cards for memory thus currently I think that would mean an extra 64gb, it fits inside the laptop which was an advatage too. Only problem was a whitelist error. Currently selling these on eBay.

I'm currently experimenting with a 5cm runcore minipci express SDD, although someone had success using one of them (I can't find the thread right now) it is completely invisible to my X200s (with the whitelist removed) It's a pity that you haven't tried it that card with the whitelist removed.

Anyway could you eventually drop me a PM with the link to your item on ebay ?
Last edited by The Solutor on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mglaze

#21 Post by mglaze » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Ok, I have some more updates, and unfortunately nothing good. The format that was stuck on 49% stayed that way for hours, so finally I killed it. Then I tried a few different things, ending up with an attempt with a Windows 8 (dev preview) disk, hoping myabe they've done something to improve diskpart. I tried the same method, and it appeared to go a bit faster - it completed to 100% in about 12 hours. Unfortunately just at 100% it gave an error about "incorrect parameter". Then I checked the volume and it was still RAW, so I guess the format did not complete successfully. Note on this attempt I had also tweaked the unit size to 512, so who knows if the tweaks helped or not. I'm taking a break, but I'll try a few more things soon.

I took the drive out and noticed something interesting. The ebay auction and the outside of the box both report the Lenovo part number 43N3417. However, the drive (which is a Toshiba) has the Lenovo FRU 45N7991 and PN 45N7990. This appears to be similar to a case described here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-Th ... d-p/380449

I want to point out that the box I received appeared to be sealed with an official Lenovo seal - so I'm not inclined to blame the seller. But who knows.

Anyway, searching around, I notice sites such as this one, which do report that part number as also being compatible with the X301:

http://www.thinkpad-parts.com/45N7991-Thinkpad.html

But who knows if that is reliable info.

Other info I can see on the drive itself:

11S45N7990Z1ZHV20002RS
Capacity 256GB
FW CJLA0201 FDE
17MAR2011
THNSFC256GAMJ
TSD-THNSFC256GAMJ(B)
SATA3.0Gbps
LBA 500,118,192
+3.3V--850mA
Drive Rev.000
1111KBZ

On the Lenovo site, they are still selling the 43N3417 drive (but not the 45N7991 drive). It is selling for $649.99.

u751920
Sophomore Member

#22 Post by u751920 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:02 pm

Sorry to hear you can't get windows to load. I'm not an Acronis user but that method sounds promising as you can load the image outside of the X301. I have to admit the number of people reporting problems with the 256GB SSD's put me off getting one. But I could do with a bigger drive as things are getting tight.
The Solutor wrote: Anyway cold you eventually drop me a PM with the link to your item on ebay ?
This is the item number I am selling 250941452651 the auction has finished some time ago so I'm waiting for when they have free listing weekends to re-list the item, but you should be able to see the listing page. If you want to see the specs sheet for it PM me and I can send you the pdf. There is a thread on this forum detailing my attempts to get it working, basically you will need to modify the bios.

The Solutor
Sophomore Member

#23 Post by The Solutor » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:49 pm

u751920 wrote: This is the item number I am selling 250941452651 the auction has finished some time ago so I'm waiting for when they have free listing weekends to re-list the item, but you should be able to see the listing page. If you want to see the specs sheet for it PM me and I can send you the pdf. There is a thread on this forum detailing my attempts to get it working, basically you will need to modify the bios.

Thanks.

I've looked to it before deciding to give a try to the Runcore mini PCI SDD that definitely doesn't work on the X200, no matter the PCI slot used.

Likely there's something, other than the whitelist, that block it in the bios. So I'm a bit scared that the same will happen with other boards too.

mglaze

#24 Post by mglaze » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Ok I have a few more disappointing updates on the Lenovo (Toshiba) 256gb SSD drive.

After all the problems trying to format the drive directly in my x301, I was able to try formatting the drive with an external USB enclosure. The enclosure I used is a white Hitachi enclosure that just snugly fits a 1.8" drive like this one, and has a single mini USB port and a blue light when powered on.

So I was able to repartition and format the drive with no problems in the USB enclosure, using the exact same dispart method I had tried previously with the drive inside the laptop - and I believe it was a bit quicker. I think created a small dummy text file and was able to write some text into it, and then copy the file to my local drive, read it, and copy it back. I didn't do any more extensive drive test, as I didn't want to put excessive usage on the drive, in case I need to resell it.

I then proceeded with a Windows 7 install using the already formatted drive. It appeared to be working, copying and extracting files, although still a bit more slowly than I would expect from a fast SSD drive. But at somewhere between 70-80% it stopped and started giving a bunch of corrupt file errors. So my conclusion from all this is, there is some sort of incompatibility between the drive and the sata controller on the laptop. But the much cheaper sata controller on the USB enclosure seems to be fine, and fast.

I spent some time searching for any way to upgrade the controller or the drive to find a compatible version. I think I had already installed the latest bios firmware on the laptop, but did it again to be sure. This was version 3.15, from here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail. ... MIGR-70462

I also tried to use the SSD firmware update bootable CD, but it looks like that only covers the Lenovo Samsung drives, and not this Toshiba drive - so it didn't detect any drive that could be upgraded. I searched for a Toshiba firmware upgrade that could be applied directly, but haven't managed to find anything.

So my final conclusion is that I have verified pretty much the same results found previously by other people here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Th ... d-p/372577

I also tried a tip from this link:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-Th ... d-p/564559

Using a program called partition wizard (bootable CD). I was able to mess around with the partitions using this, but when I went to apply a format, it came back without reporting any errors, but just continued to show the partition "Unformatted" - so in the end no help there.

I'm out of ideas for this drive and ready to give up, so unless anyone has any other ideas, I'll probably go ahead and stick this drive on ebay, and try something else. The Crucial drive still seems to be out of stock (or out of production?) everywhere I look - so perhaps for now the IBM 160gb drive really is the best and only option out there..

mklym
Freshman Member

#25 Post by mklym » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:46 pm

@mglaze, I am sorry to read about your problems w/your X301.

My X301 seems to be the opposite. It has never given me any problems, regardless what I put in the unit. It came w/a 128GB Samsund ssd w/Win XPP installed (downgrade from Vista) which I replaced w/a Crucial C300 256GB ssd that I installed Win7 Ult 64 w/no problems. I then bought a used factory Samsung 128GB ssd, same as the original, that I installed Ubuntu 11.10 64bit w/no problems. Last I have a Toshiba 120GB hdd I use for test running different OS. Never had a problem w/it.

Maybe your X301 was on eBay because of a hardware issue that could not be resolved. Just a thought.

It is unfortunate that you have had so much grief w/your X301 as I think they are great laptops. I would not part w/mine for anything. For more storage space, if you go for an Intel 160GB ssd, is to get a caddy for the bay and put a second drive in it. I am using one w/a 7mm Intel 160GB ssd, but may try an Hitachi 320GB 7mm hdd for even more space.

Hope you get something worked out.
A31p, 2 X301, 2 Z61m Ti
Past: 390E, X41, X60, T61p, T400
Panasonic CF-W4, CF-W5, 2 CF-18, 2 CF-29, CF-30, 3 CF-52, CF-74

mglaze

#26 Post by mglaze » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:44 am

Thanks for your input, @mklym. My x301 actually came straight from an authorized ibm reseller shop, and other than problems trying to upgrade the ssd, it's never given me any other problems at all, and after a memory upgrade to get me up to 6gb, I think it can handle anything I'll need it to do for a few years still. The factory 128gb Samsung ssd is fine and has never given any problem. The only thing I'm getting off ebay are these various ssd's to try out. Yes, if I could get my hands on the Crucial C300 it sounds like that would be the one possible 256gb solution - everyone seems to have good reports about it. Oh well, guess I will have to just keep watching for one to become available.

yarikoptic

#27 Post by yarikoptic » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:14 pm

so far I only saw explicit positive experience with 2nd gen of intel SSDs with X301, but what about SSDSA1NW160G301 which is from 320 series? anyone positive/negative?

P.S. Many online retailers for some reason have images of 2.5" drives for this model which is 1.8" and described as such usually...

visionviper
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#28 Post by visionviper » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:19 pm

yarikoptic wrote:so far I only saw explicit positive experience with 2nd gen of intel SSDs with X301, but what about SSDSA1NW160G301 which is from 320 series? anyone positive/negative?

P.S. Many online retailers for some reason have images of 2.5" drives for this model which is 1.8" and described as such usually...
The 320 drives in general are great. Honestly, all of the Intel drives are pretty much awesome.
7mm SSD list
Guide to fixing T4x GPU problems via reflow

Current: T420s
Former: X301, X61t, T40

gaia

#29 Post by gaia » Sat May 26, 2012 5:11 am

I upgraded my 128GB SSD X301 with a Crucial C300 256GB SSD in February 2011 & it's worked fine from the start.

I now want to upgrade an X300 which has a 64GB SSD.

I've looked for the Crucial C300 drives but they appear to be discontinued & so I'm considering getting an Intel 160GB SSD SSDSA1NW160G301 or a Kingston 128GB SSD SVP180S2/128G.

My question is whether these Intel & Kingston drives are compatible with the X300?

TIA for any advice.
X301: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU U9400 @ 1.40GHz, 256GB C300 SSD, 8GB RAM, Windows 10 Pro, Battery 6 Cell

Thors.Hammer

#30 Post by Thors.Hammer » Sat May 26, 2012 8:44 pm

I bought the 160GB Intel Series 320 SSD for my X301. Works great.