Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T420: Strange sound problem

T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 series specific matters only
lottie1040

T420: Strange sound problem

#1 Post by lottie1040 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:13 pm

I noticed some strange behaviour on my T420 (running Windows 10 64-bit with 8GB RAM) last night when I was copying a large number of files over Wi-Fi. For some reason, the sound kept sticking every 10 seconds or so, regardless of where the music was coming from. It went back to normal after the files had finished copying. Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a fix for it? :)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T420: Strange sound problem

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:19 pm

Yup, go back to W7/SP1.
Sounds negative, but then, there's not much positive to tell about W10.

lottie1040

#3 Post by lottie1040 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:21 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:Yup, go back to W7/SP1.
Sounds negative, but then, there's not much positive to tell about W10.
Ah, I was hoping I wouldn't have to downgrade to W7 again... I keep having issues with Windows Update on Win7 machines and can't be bothered with installing all those updates again :? Is it definitely a Windows 10 problem?

yankeesamurai

#4 Post by yankeesamurai » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:36 pm

Lottie

Remember everything runs on a buss.. thats an electronic pathway, each major system has its on buss on the motherboard,
the amount of data traffic going in and out a buss...is like a major highway at high noon on friday in LA, during an intensive
file transfer, and on a buss, all memebers (different sub systems that share a buss) keep trying to use it even if there isnt
enough room for everyone, so what happens is that when the buss reaches maximum bandwidth use (like a highway totally 101% packed with cars) something has to give, or give up..some space..and so im pretty sure your sound issue was due to bandwidth
being over used on a shared buss..and something started disfunctioning as usage hit its peaks..and consumed all available bandwidth... of course this was happening in nanoseconds.. but none the less it was happening...

Back in the day, when computers and video cards were wimpy, it was not uncommon for your monitor screen to shrink down
on you suddenly...or go completly black... and then pop right back up.. as all available system resources were consumed for moments... god im so glad we got thru that stuff...lol ...

how do u fix it if its a common occourance... easy... more ram, better video card.. maby even a processor upgrade..

lottie1040

#5 Post by lottie1040 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:56 pm

yankeesamurai wrote:Lottie

Remember everything runs on a buss.. thats an electronic pathway, each major system has its on buss on the motherboard,
the amount of data traffic going in and out a buss...is like a major highway at high noon on friday in LA, during an intensive
file transfer, and on a buss, all memebers (different sub systems that share a buss) keep trying to use it even if there isnt
enough room for everyone, so what happens is that when the buss reaches maximum bandwidth use (like a highway totally 101% packed with cars) something has to give, or give up..some space..and so im pretty sure your sound issue was due to bandwidth
being over used on a shared buss..and something started disfunctioning as usage hit its peaks..and consumed all available bandwidth... of course this was happening in nanoseconds.. but none the less it was happening...

Back in the day, when computers and video cards were wimpy, it was not uncommon for your monitor screen to shrink down
on you suddenly...or go completly black... and then pop right back up.. as all available system resources were consumed for moments... god im so glad we got thru that stuff...lol ...

how do u fix it if its a common occourance... easy... more ram, better video card.. maby even a processor upgrade..
So it could be a hardware limitation... I suppose I can live with it, really, as I don't tend to transfer large amounts of data over the local network that often - it was just a backup I was doing, which could have been done overnight. It'd be interesting to see if the same thing happened over Ethernet, or if it's just a Wi-Fi thing.

Thanks for your replies!

yankeesamurai

#6 Post by yankeesamurai » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:28 pm

lottie1040 wrote:
yankeesamurai wrote:Lottie

It'd be interesting to see if the same thing happened over Ethernet, or if it's just a Wi-Fi thing.

Thanks for your replies!
IT PROBABLY WONT HAPPEN OVER ETH, WIFI LOOSES ROBUSTNESS ON LARGE FILES, BECAUSE OF PACKET JAM-UP IN THE DOWNLOAD
CACHE ON THE WIFI CARD... YOU CAN ADJUST IT IN YOUR WIFI CARD PROPERTIES, ALSO AJUSTABLE IN ETH TOO... BUT WETHER IT HELPS ON WIFI ONLY A TRY WILL TELL... YOUR ETH CARD IS PROBABLY GIGABITE IN SPEED... SO SHOULD BE OK...
GOOD LUCK