Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 series specific matters only
Message
Author
Orbitronics
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:36 pm
Location: Hackney, England

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (opening May 2017)

#271 Post by Orbitronics » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:11 pm

Olangu wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:58 am
anrp wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:15 am
Also retrofitted the xx20 keyboard in the T430s - as I discovered the T420s palmrest won't fit because the trackpad cable doesn't line up so I modified the keyboard itself.
I've done two t430s with t420s palmrest and keyboard.
You are correct that the trackpad cable does not line up. But if you remove some adhesive tape from the trackpad and gently force more cable out and do a angeled cut in the plastic you will be able to get the cable to reach. See picture
You reckon the t420 (non s - 45n2065) is fittable into the t430s? I'm not sure if the 420 keyboard differs from the 420s?
Edit: I think i figured out theyre the same keyboard so I'm safe.

peca89
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:10 am
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#272 Post by peca89 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:23 pm

I feel the need to share my extremely bad experience with genuine screen seller ftgparts on Ebay and advise anyone against buying from them. My story lasts several months now:

I bought my first B140HAN01.2 in april and used a Shipito mail forwarding service since I live in Europe. I paid $40 for the screen and $20 for the Shipito. After a month I received broken screen which was damaged by customs inspection. OK, I couldnt blame seller for that, so I ordered another one from them for the same price in the end of May.

This one arrived after a month perfectly packed using several layers of bubble wrap and cardboard and it slipped through customs without opening. I was the first one to unpack sellers original packaging to retrive seemingly perfect screen. However, when I plugged it in, I saw there is a black irregularly shaped black region of several square cm near one corner. When I asked for a refund, seller insisted that the screen was properly checked and didnt want to issue a refund without me returning the broken screen back. So I sent it back aware that I wasted another $20 for return shipping that wont be refunded. After I sent it back, seller stopped responding to messages and never paid back. Probably abusing Ebay "feature" that you cannot leave negative feedback after 60 days from purchase date which is clearly not enough for international shipments. Finally, I opened Ebay case which was closed in seller favor with no explanation.

In the end, I'm about $150 short for getting nothing...

teleshoes
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:34 pm
Location: NY, NY, USA

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (opening May 2017)

#273 Post by teleshoes » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:47 am

Orbitronics wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:11 pm
You reckon the t420 (non s - 45n2065) is fittable into the t430s? I'm not sure if the 420 keyboard differs from the 420s?
Edit: I think i figured out theyre the same keyboard so I'm safe.
ive put a W520 kb (identical to T520 kb) into a T430s and a T430.
1) i recommend BUYING A NEW PALMREST. less work, nicer fit.
if you REALLY dont want to, make sure you sand down the nubbins only exactly as much as you need. it should require a LITTLE force to get it into place.
i destroyed a kb by removing almost all of one of the nubs, and it rattled a tiny bit when i typed (so i threw it out, and bought a used t420 kb one from ebay for 20$USD)

2) if your T430/T430s has an (under-key) keyboard backlight, you will NOT be able to get the (overhead) thinklight to work on linux AT ALL. (known bug in thinkpad-acpi)

3) dont worry about the short that everyone cautions you about, there has never been a reported case of damage from it

Orbitronics
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:36 pm
Location: Hackney, England

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (opening May 2017)

#274 Post by Orbitronics » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:56 am

teleshoes wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:47 am
Orbitronics wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:11 pm
You reckon the t420 (non s - 45n2065) is fittable into the t430s? I'm not sure if the 420 keyboard differs from the 420s?
Edit: I think i figured out theyre the same keyboard so I'm safe.
ive put a W520 kb (identical to T520 kb) into a T430s and a T430.
1) i recommend BUYING A NEW PALMREST. less work, nicer fit.
if you REALLY dont want to, make sure you sand down the nubbins only exactly as much as you need. it should require a LITTLE force to get it into place.
i destroyed a kb by removing almost all of one of the nubs, and it rattled a tiny bit when i typed (so i threw it out, and bought a used t420 kb one from ebay for 20$USD)

2) if your T430/T430s has an (under-key) keyboard backlight, you will NOT be able to get the (overhead) thinklight to work on linux AT ALL. (known bug in thinkpad-acpi)

3) dont worry about the short that everyone cautions you about, there has never been a reported case of damage from it
Thanks for the advice! About the palm rest, i was under the impression i could not buy anything that fit the t430s body, and the t420 kb?

astroidea
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:20 pm
Location: Walnut, CA

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#275 Post by astroidea » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:15 pm

I just got my converter board and AUO b140han01.3 from Aliexpress for $110 shipped
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANITER ... 0.0.5ZcCHw

I installed it and it works. The brightness is quite dim at only 60lux at full brightness as tested with a Spyder4Elite. On the plus side, it has a 97% sRGB gamut.

https://i.imgur.com/TgCxqEG.png

Dro
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Yerevan, Armenia

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#276 Post by Dro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:38 am

astroidea wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:15 pm
I just got my converter board and AUO b140han01.3 from Aliexpress for $110 shipped
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANITER ... 0.0.5ZcCHw

I installed it and it works. The brightness is quite dim at only 60lux at full brightness as tested with a Spyder4Elite. On the plus side, it has a 97% sRGB gamut.

https://i.imgur.com/TgCxqEG.png
Price is great, how long did it take to arrive? and did you talk to seller what happens in case you get a panel with dead pixels?, in you case I assume you got lucky and you got a perfect screen.

astroidea
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:20 pm
Location: Walnut, CA

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#277 Post by astroidea » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:00 am

I got it much sooner than I expected. It only took 10 days to arrive, shipped from China!

The seller's english is extremely limited and it was difficult to communicate with him. I tried using google translate to first translate to Chinese but Aliexpress doesn't let you send messages in Chinese! It returns an error telling you it has to be in English!

My screen is indeed perfect in terms of dead pixels. But again, the brightness is abysmal at 60nits. It's still leaps and bounds better than the 1600x900 stock one I had before though.

SaskFellow
Freshman Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm
Location: Regina, Canada

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#278 Post by SaskFellow » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:07 am

Aliexpress is notorious for goods of highly questionable quality.

I'm always leery about using it because they themselves don't care if sellers are selling knockoffs and counterfeit parts.

There's also a very strong possibility that the screen is legit but it failed the quality checks at the factory.
T61 14.1 WXGA+ 220nit, T9300, Owl blade fan cooler, 8GB PC2-6400, 2010 revised NVS140M, Samsung 840Pro 240GB, AR9390 N, BT4.1, NMB keyboard, T400 palm-rest, 33++ battery.

T420s 14.0 HD+, i7-2460M, 16GB PC3L-12800, NVS4200M, Samsung 850Pro 512GB, Intel 7260AC, BT4.1, Chicony KB, 81+ battery

RMSMajestic
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 674
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:31 pm
Location: Washington, D.C. , USA

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#279 Post by RMSMajestic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Hey guys, WQHDs are up.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=124841
Chobits: W701ds i7-940|32G|FX3800m|Digitizer|Calibrator
Big ones: W701 top config T63p QX9300|8G|UXGA T61p dead, please go die as well nVIDIA
Small ones: X61sp P8800X61t SXGA X201 NIB
86 airplane models/ 27 ships/ 21 computers/ 300GB databases/ 0 girlfriend
It's always happier to live in lies and delusions.

bluesceada
Freshman Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Contact:

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#280 Post by bluesceada » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:23 pm

I am a bit late, but finally came around to start doing the mod (I ordered two kits in May and have them since a while now). I now just ordered one screen, and unluckily in my first "AUO B140HAN01.1 / 1.3" order, that I just received, was a cheap glossy TN panel! Even if it says "compatible", I didn't expect to get such a completely inferior one.

The problem is that even the more expensive sellers on ebay always say they might ship a compatible one. So I don't neccessarily want to risk it again. At least I would write to the sellers, try to clarify beforehand. But maybe anyone can recommend another source or specific seller that ships to Germany (potentially UK sellers do)?

RMSMajestic
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 674
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:31 pm
Location: Washington, D.C. , USA

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#281 Post by RMSMajestic » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:14 am

bluesceada wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:23 pm
I am a bit late, but finally came around to start doing the mod (I ordered two kits in May and have them since a while now). I now just ordered one screen, and unluckily in my first "AUO B140HAN01.1 / 1.3" order, that I just received, was a cheap glossy TN panel! Even if it says "compatible", I didn't expect to get such a completely inferior one.

The problem is that even the more expensive sellers on ebay always say they might ship a compatible one. So I don't neccessarily want to risk it again. At least I would write to the sellers, try to clarify beforehand. But maybe anyone can recommend another source or specific seller that ships to Germany (potentially UK sellers do)?
Maybe ask on the German thinkpad forum?
Chobits: W701ds i7-940|32G|FX3800m|Digitizer|Calibrator
Big ones: W701 top config T63p QX9300|8G|UXGA T61p dead, please go die as well nVIDIA
Small ones: X61sp P8800X61t SXGA X201 NIB
86 airplane models/ 27 ships/ 21 computers/ 300GB databases/ 0 girlfriend
It's always happier to live in lies and delusions.

bybor
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:15 pm
Location: Kursk, Russia

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#282 Post by bybor » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:18 am

bluesceada wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:23 pm
The problem is that even the more expensive sellers on ebay always say they might ship a compatible one. So I don't neccessarily want to risk it again. At least I would write to the sellers, try to clarify beforehand. But maybe anyone can recommend another source or specific seller that ships to Germany (potentially UK sellers do)?
I ordered mine from aliexpress (still in transit to Russia). I wrote to sellers before placing an order and 3 out of 5 claimed they have original dead-pixel free B140HAN01.2. I warned that I would open dispute (return an item) if it's not an original one - referencing their messages if needed, to which they agreeed. I'll have to pay shipping cost in case of return.

Below are the links, I placed my order with the first one.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/14-inch ... 0.0.SmnWqG
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Lap ... 295.ofQssV
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AU-Optr ... 302.ofQssV

Regarding compatible screens, I had no luck with one Samsung and two Innolux screens, all IPS. There is one LG screen that is compatible with adapter, it may be easier to find, but it's out of production just as B140HAN01.2

RMSMajestic
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 674
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:31 pm
Location: Washington, D.C. , USA

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#283 Post by RMSMajestic » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:44 pm

bluesceada wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:23 pm
I am a bit late, but finally came around to start doing the mod (I ordered two kits in May and have them since a while now). I now just ordered one screen, and unluckily in my first "AUO B140HAN01.1 / 1.3" order, that I just received, was a cheap glossy TN panel! Even if it says "compatible", I didn't expect to get such a completely inferior one.

The problem is that even the more expensive sellers on ebay always say they might ship a compatible one. So I don't neccessarily want to risk it again. At least I would write to the sellers, try to clarify beforehand. But maybe anyone can recommend another source or specific seller that ships to Germany (potentially UK sellers do)?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AUO-B140HA ... SwVRNZgQpJ

This one looks okay to me
Chobits: W701ds i7-940|32G|FX3800m|Digitizer|Calibrator
Big ones: W701 top config T63p QX9300|8G|UXGA T61p dead, please go die as well nVIDIA
Small ones: X61sp P8800X61t SXGA X201 NIB
86 airplane models/ 27 ships/ 21 computers/ 300GB databases/ 0 girlfriend
It's always happier to live in lies and delusions.

Orbitronics
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:36 pm
Location: Hackney, England

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#284 Post by Orbitronics » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:46 pm

RMSMajestic wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:44 pm
bluesceada wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:23 pm
I am a bit late, but finally came around to start doing the mod (I ordered two kits in May and have them since a while now). I now just ordered one screen, and unluckily in my first "AUO B140HAN01.1 / 1.3" order, that I just received, was a cheap glossy TN panel! Even if it says "compatible", I didn't expect to get such a completely inferior one.

The problem is that even the more expensive sellers on ebay always say they might ship a compatible one. So I don't neccessarily want to risk it again. At least I would write to the sellers, try to clarify beforehand. But maybe anyone can recommend another source or specific seller that ships to Germany (potentially UK sellers do)?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-AUO-B140HA ... SwVRNZgQpJ

This one looks okay to me
Shall i order this?

bybor
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:15 pm
Location: Kursk, Russia

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#285 Post by bybor » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:52 am

I'd like to confirm that I received my order from aliexpress and it looks like original dead-pixel free B140HAN01.2. I installed it the last night and it is working great. It's listed by Aida64 as "Lenovo B140HAN1.2".

Here is the link I used for order
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/14-inch ... 0.0.tNjtWp

I'd suggest you confirm the seller has *exact* model before placing your order, because things happen.


RMSMajestic - you rock. Thank you very much.

bluesceada
Freshman Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Contact:

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#286 Post by bluesceada » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:03 pm

RMSMajestic unfortunately that eBay link said "may not ship to Germany" and the description didn't look like it. Also, shipping from the US can be really expensive, so instead I got a verification from that last aliexpress link and ordered from there. Let's hope it will work as fine as for bybor.

secondbass
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:29 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#287 Post by secondbass » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi all, is there any chance to get the FHD kit for T420s?
If not, as I seem to be coming late for the one from RMSMajestic (read few posts back by him), I still prefer FHD over WQHD so I'm thinking about two scenarios:
a) get the FHD kit from sombody who will upgrade from FHD kit to the soon-to-be-shipped WQHD kit + sourcing the panel separately - the latest alibaba source seems promising if they are willing to guarantee the exact type: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/14-inch ... 0.0.SmnWqG
b) get the whole Alibaba FHD set (screen+kit): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANITER ... 0.0.5ZcCHw
For this scenarios I seek more feedback or/and advice from you guys on its quality/credibility, so far I could only found one refernce from astroidea mentioning:
The brightness is quite dim at only 60lux at full brightness as tested with a Spyder4Elite
Such brightness just doesn't sound bright enough to me, am I interpreting it wrongly (I'm used to know how to read it in NITS)?
Thanks for recommendations & comments!
____________________________________
T41 -> T420si -> Dell Latitude 7440 & T420s
T420s (i5-2540M, 16GB RAM, Intel HD 3000, HD+, mSATA 120GB Kingston SSD (OS) + SATA3 500GB Samsung 840 SSD (data) + 500GB Hitachi HDD in CD-ROM bay (backup)

RMSMajestic
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 674
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:31 pm
Location: Washington, D.C. , USA

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#288 Post by RMSMajestic » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:17 am

secondbass wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:52 pm
Hi all, is there any chance to get the FHD kit for T420s?
If not, as I seem to be coming late for the one from RMSMajestic (read few posts back by him), I still prefer FHD over WQHD so I'm thinking about two scenarios:
a) get the FHD kit from sombody who will upgrade from FHD kit to the soon-to-be-shipped WQHD kit + sourcing the panel separately - the latest alibaba source seems promising if they are willing to guarantee the exact type: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/14-inch ... 0.0.SmnWqG
b) get the whole Alibaba FHD set (screen+kit): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANITER ... 0.0.5ZcCHw
For this scenarios I seek more feedback or/and advice from you guys on its quality/credibility, so far I could only found one refernce from astroidea mentioning:
The brightness is quite dim at only 60lux at full brightness as tested with a Spyder4Elite
Such brightness just doesn't sound bright enough to me, am I interpreting it wrongly (I'm used to know how to read it in NITS)?
Thanks for recommendations & comments!
When you use a color calibrator, it will fix the brightness to achieve best color accuracy. like for example D65 will fix my brightness to 120cd with i1 Display pro on my W520
Chobits: W701ds i7-940|32G|FX3800m|Digitizer|Calibrator
Big ones: W701 top config T63p QX9300|8G|UXGA T61p dead, please go die as well nVIDIA
Small ones: X61sp P8800X61t SXGA X201 NIB
86 airplane models/ 27 ships/ 21 computers/ 300GB databases/ 0 girlfriend
It's always happier to live in lies and delusions.

bluesceada
Freshman Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Contact:

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#289 Post by bluesceada » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:02 am

Hey just wanted to say thank you very much to RMSMajestic for making the kit sales possible, and to bybor for the recommendation of that aliexpress shop.

I have a really great T420s now. And let's see, at some point I can then still decide to move over to a T430s.

The screen I got from aliexpress is labeled as a B140HAN01.3 screen and shown as B140HAN01.2 in EDID information.

peca89
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:10 am
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#290 Post by peca89 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:50 am

I can confirm that this seller from AliExpress sends genuine AUO panels. Just ask for confirmation before you order. I have received dead pixel free B140HAN01.3 which works perfectly in my T440. Backlight control also works. It is H/W:3A F/W:1.

astroidea
Freshman Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:20 pm
Location: Walnut, CA

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#291 Post by astroidea » Wed May 30, 2018 12:07 pm

I just bought an AUO B140HAN01.4 panel from Taobao for $32 while visting Shenzhen.

My old B140HAN01.3 suffered from poor brightness. The new one is very bright. :)

Although there's a small pink splotch on the bottom left. Looks like these aren't A grade panels which might be why they go for so cheap.

Fastrack
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 9:03 am
Location: Honey Harbour, Ontario, Canada

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#292 Post by Fastrack » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:41 pm

I upgraded my T430s to FHD in May 2016 using a used Dell 7437 B140HAN01.0 which was a glossy screen and BLEW the original screen out of the water.

However about 2 months ago, the screen connector on the right side (under the "Don't touch") was flaky, massaging it got my screen back - white vertical lines. Until 3 days ago. My screen is now toast.

Searching eBay it looks like the B140HAN01.0 is no longer available and a compatible model will be supplied. Not buying from them.

The same reseller I bought from back in 2016 now has B140HAN01.3's which are Matt. Looks like the contrast ratio is 700:1 vs 800:1 on the screen I have. Will I be disappointed with the Matt?

I really don't see another option?!

Ben

agarza
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Guadalajara, Jalisco MEXICO

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#293 Post by agarza » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:58 pm

Any date when the WQHD kit will become available?
Current
T440p:
Core i7-4710MQ|16GB RAM|Intel 200GB SSD| 14.1" AUO IPS FHD|Win 7 Pro|T450 Trackpad|Backlit keyboard|2nd Caddy

T460p:
Core i5-6300HQ|16GB RAM|lPNY 256GB SSD| 14.1" Panasonic IPS WQHD|Win 7 Pro
Past: T420 HD+, X61s XGA, T61 14" SXGA+, T42p 14.1 SXGA+, T30, A22e

financialwar
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:30 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#294 Post by financialwar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:45 pm

So is there a consensus where to source the genuine AUO panel?

financialwar
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:30 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: T420s/T430s FHD/WQHD upgrade kits pre-order (paused)

#295 Post by financialwar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:07 pm

also my friend is currently in China, is this the right mod for t430s full hd upgrade?

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... =15#detail

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “ThinkPad T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests